• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

We stopped signing young players with potential and focused on the there and then for nearly four years (ie backed the manager) - great in the moment but now we don't have the next Bale/Modric coming through meaning we don't have any WC players to elevate us above our position. Also Chelsea and City have gone from strength to strength making the top spots seem further away than ever - 4th is still within reach, and a realistic target for the coming seasons but we need the likes of Lamela and Eriksen to kick on and step up their game a level or two

People need to look back at that period with a bit of perspective - we was a team which started to form several seasons before and the best teams in the league during this time were not at the level they are now - early Sheik owned City, Avram Grant and AVB at Chelsea, Hodgson at Liverpool ffs - Arsenal not spending 40-50mil in the window each season and more wages than Chelsea - those clubs have all got their act together at the same time, a time where we we have stalled/faltered.

Funnily enough, the signings dried up rapidly once we made the CL. Most of our big signings under Harry came prior to the 09/10 season (Crouch, Kaboul, Kranjcar, Bassong, the double deal for Walker and Naughton, Keane, Defoe and Palacios) while only Rafa, Parker, Sandro and Pienaar were signed for any significant amount post 09-10. We've gone over what happened to AVB in minute detail, but suffice to say I don't think of it as backing the manager much. And then there was this summer.

There are plenty of excuses for our dip in transfer spending after that magical season (higher wage bill, saving for the stadium, sell-to-buy), but the fact remains that our decline after that year had nothing to do with 'backing the manager instead of buying young talent', because we didn't do that: our owners really didn't back the managers in a way that led to our demise, if anything they did the opposite (Nelsen, Saha) and suffered as a consequence.

Ultimately, however, I agree with you: we stood still after that year, for whatever reason, while all our competitors got their act together and are now leagues ahead of us. Which is why the task in front of Poch is so monumentally tough: get us catching up for the four years of stagnation we endured after 09/10 (Bale-inspired 72 points aside), while operating under the same constraints and with the same policies (imo) that caused that very same stagnation.

He'll need a loooooot of time, as will the decent players we do have now: Lamela, Eriksen, Lloris and co. That's really all we can give him, since he won't get much money or much leeway in selecting players he wants. So it does pain me a bit to see people questioning both him and people like Lamela just two and a half months into the season. He's swimming upriver against a tremendously strong current, as are the team. Give them time, dissatisfied elements of Glory Glory.

The way things are going under Pochettino is made more confusing for me by the fact Southampton look better than they did last season, and that is despite selling a handful of their best players.

The way things are going under Pochettino is made more confusing for me by the fact Southampton look better than they did last season, and that is despite selling a handful of their best players.

Their form is excellent and it is remarkable how quickly the new signings have settled but the season is only eight games old and it will be much fairer to judge their progress at the end of the season.

P554_zps324931ab.png

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2014

There are plenty of excuses for our dip in transfer spending after that magical season (higher wage bill, saving for the stadium, sell-to-buy), but the fact remains that our decline after that year had nothing to do with 'backing the manager instead of buying young talent', because we didn't do that: our owners really didn't back the managers in a way that led to our demise, if anything they did the opposite (Nelsen, Saha) and suffered as a consequence.

I disagree entirely - we can't afford to have a squad full of high earners and also spend big on transfers - Redknapp wanted premiership experencied players who'd command wages in line with our highest earners and that's what he got and that's the reason why once Bale and Modric were sold we never had younger players stepping up to fill their place (because we never signed players during his time who would improve over the coming seasons).

Cheers for the stat 6061. I think when the end of month is here, and we see how we're doing in three competitions then I'll start making a lot more comparisons between Poch and our other managers. Tim was very good for us in the Lge (including a double over Poch's Soton) and I think was unfairly criticized by many, HOWEVER he was poor in the Cups, so Poch by winning our next three games can make the comparison look a bit better.

However, what's for sure is Tim was never given a 'honeymoon period' by many Spurs fans. Indeed, from the day he took office some Spurs fans were against him. I think it's fair to say if Tim had got his team selection and tactics as wrong as Poch did yesterday, he'd have been criticized a lot more savagely than Poch has been. NOT that I think Poch should be savagely criticized, but I also think people should have been fairer to Tim than they were on the whole.

Last edited:
I disagree entirely - we can't afford to have squad full of high earners and also spend big on transfers - Redknapp wanted premiership experencied players who'd command wages in line with our highest earners and that's what he got and that's the reason why once Bale and Modeic were sold we never had younger players stepping up to fill their place (because we never signed players during his time who would improve over time).

We also spent about 4 years worth of transfer warchests in his first couple of windows. It was stated quite clearly be Levy afterwards that we wouldn't and couldn't go on spending like that.

I don't think such a small sample size can be used to make him look either good or bad tbh

Indeed; if we were to be REALLY studious we would also look into the teams played in each's first 8 games as well (in terms of their position in the league, status etc) but as you say, too small a sample size anyway

Indeed; if we were to be REALLY studious we would also look into the teams played in each's first 8 games as well (in terms of their position in the league, status etc) but as you say, too small a sample size anyway

Did some-one just say 2pts from 8 games?

Harry-Redknapp-007.jpg

Attachments

• Harry-Redknapp-007.jpg
    Harry-Redknapp-007.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
Back