• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

we definitely seem to lack characters in the dressing room, it was something that Sherwood honestly exposed and I dont know how we can change this atm
It is a little early to judge but Fazio and Stambouli seem like they have a bit of character and fight about them.

Apparently Alex Ferguson wanted the Spurs job back in the day too, but we didn't want him :lol:

according to Fergie he had been approached by Scholar (who was very keen) and the nomads but he was only really interested in United, his chairman at Aberdeen (to whom he was close) said that was the only move he would countenance and he already had a relationship with Bobby Charlton who had been visiting with Fergie for some time, according to his latest book (the Barclay one) there were strong indications the move would happen 6 months sooner only for Atkinson to take United on a great run of form, he was already at United in mind long before we got involved

i would like to see Poch choose his favoured back 4 and central mids and play them fitness permitting in every PL game and EL game. We need to find a consistency and understanding. Build from the back...........we are currently a 6th/7th PL side, EL quality and standard, we should accept our place and act accordingly. Just like top 4 PL teams pick their best sides for PL and CL games on a continuous basis, we have to do the same for our PL and EL games. The players will cope, they should be fit enough to deal with the schedule.

It is a little early to judge but Fazio and Stambouli seem like they have a bit of character and fight about them.

but they are new players and its very rare for the new guys to go in a start dominating, especially as they are not even first choices yet. We shall see

i would like to see Poch choose his favoured back 4 and central mids and play them fitness permitting in every PL game and EL game. We need to find a consistency and understanding. Build from the back...........we are currently a 6th/7th PL side, EL quality and standard, we should accept our place and act accordingly. Just like top 4 PL teams pick their best sides for PL and CL games on a continuous basis, we have to do the same for our PL and EL games. The players will cope, they should be fit enough to deal with the schedule.
I don't think that running them into the ground would be a good strategy. We would have a tired first 11 who we could expect to run out of steam and/or pick up injuries and a disenfranchised second 11.

I know that it is frustrating at the moment but I think that it is the best strategy. What I will be watching with interest is how long it takes for the new players to be integrated into the PL team.

I don't think that running them into the ground would be a good strategy. We would have a tired first 11 who we could expect to run out of steam and/or pick up injuries and a disenfranchised second 11.

I know that it is frustrating at the moment but I think that it is the best strategy. What I will be watching with interest is how long it takes for the new players to be integrated into the PL team.

i did say a consistent back 4 and 2 central mids, not the whole 11........its in defensive areas we are lacking confidence and understanding. Why would they run out of steam. And like i said, look at the top teams and how their top defenders play week in week out in the PL and CL.

but they are new players and its very rare for the new guys to go in a start dominating, especially as they are not even first choices yet. We shall see

This is normally true but Fazio is a scary looking dude ;)

Joking aside the term 'a bit of character' can be taken the wrong way IMO. We don't need characters but what we need is the players to show character on the pitch. I don't care what their personality is like. When it gets tough there are the players that hide and the players that don't. At the moment I think we have too many players that go into their shell in adversity. I don't give a **** if they are good at parties as long as they don't perform like cowards on the pitch. The safe pass merchant. Not showing for the ball. Lack of movement. Half hearted tackles. Bad decision making I would include too.

Lamela and Bentaleb have it in spades, Walker too. They don't shy away from things but rather push the envelope of their abilities in response to setbacks on the pitch. I don't see that quality in too many more of our players.

Lamela and Bentaleb have it in spades, Walker too. They don't shy away from things but rather push the envelope of their abilities in response to setbacks on the pitch. I don't see that quality in too many more of our players.

Soldado is at least capable of understanding when a bit of 'pushing the envelope' is called for, but unfortunately the only recognizable effort is a deliberately late challenge whereby he picks up a well deserved yellow.

Soldado is at least capable of understanding when a bit of 'pushing the envelope' is called for, but unfortunately the only recognizable effort is a deliberately late challenge whereby he picks up a well deserved yellow.
Reckless challenges like the ones Soldado does when he is getting annoyed, and Rose's similar petulant outbursts (until very recently at least) show a lack of character really. Sadly I think we've broken Soldado beyond repair. So much about a strikers game is to do with confidence and his form has been on a dip for so long now I just can't see him turning it around. He doesn't seem to have the character for it but I hope he proves me wrong.

Reckless challenges like the ones Soldado does when he is getting annoyed, and Rose's similar petulant outbursts (until very recently at least) show a lack of character really. Sadly I think we've broken Soldado beyond repair. So much about a strikers game is to do with confidence and his form has been on a dip for so long now I just can't see him turning it around. He doesn't seem to have the character for it but I hope he proves me wrong.

I dont think he's played enough this season yet to establish what his form is...

I dont think he's played enough this season yet to establish what his form is...

Well that is true, but I was referring to his form over an extended period and not just this season. Actually in pre-season he looked pretty good and I think playing him for a few games at the start of the season could have been a turning point for him. The three AM's behind him would have played to his strengths whereas it never seems to work that well when he's paired with Ade. But we didn't do that and whatever confidence he gained from his pre-season outings has long evaporated.

i did say a consistent back 4 and 2 central mids, not the whole 11........its in defensive areas we are lacking confidence and understanding. Why would they run out of steam. And like i said, look at the top teams and how their top defenders play week in week out in the PL and CL.

The top teams play a settled core and team as often as possible. They make changes occasionally, either as a result of fatigue or managing a players fitness over a period.
But rarely wholesale changes, as you say.
That creates a team, keeps people fresh and creates competition - ie. at present their is someone ahead of you. If his form drops or he needs a rest, you'll get a chance - be ready and take it.

Joking aside the term 'a bit of character' can be taken the wrong way IMO. We don't need characters but what we need is the players to show character on the pitch. I don't care what their personality is like. When it gets tough there are the players that hide and the players that don't. At the moment I think we have too many players that go into their shell in adversity. I don't give a **** if they are good at parties as long as they don't perform like cowards on the pitch. The safe pass merchant. Not showing for the ball. Lack of movement. Half hearted tackles. Bad decision making I would include too.

the character i meant was just that....to be brave, to show some leadership on the pitch, at half time to speak out if things arent going well.

I am with you here 100% I think Rose also is a player that does this. He looks to make things happen and constantly looks to get himself in a position to make a difference in an attacking sense, even if he has done so previously and delivered a poor ball. One of the things that I liked about both Defoe and Robbie Keane was that irrespective of what had happened before in the game they would still look to put themselves into the positions to make a difference.

the character i meant was just that....to be brave, to show some leadership on the pitch, at half time to speak out if things arent going well.

Sorry I know you meant that. That post wasn't meant to be an admonishment on your post. Just a general point, though the whole vocal player in the dressing room thing is not something I buy into that much. It might help a little but showing it on the pitch is the sign of true character in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is that even with the trimming done in the summer our squad looks bloated and I think Pochettino hasn't finished figuring out who will work in his system and who won't, due to injuries, the World Cup and a short pre-season schedule. We're pretty much in the trial and error stage of his team selections and ultimately (and similarly to his first season at Southampton), I think we might have to wait until next season until we see a real Pochettino shaped team.

We haven't really seen a consistent selection so far other than the front 4.

so up to now the evidence is that we've got a pretty poor stock of players...AVB, Sherwood and Poch all struggling to make it work.

when it comes to buying players this split responsibility thing is always going to come up when the coach doesn't get his players. its one thing to say that the coach can train them.... but only if he has the final say on the outgoing player.

AVB wanted an upgrade on Dawson, but he couldn't get rid of him.

Now Poch has name the dual disasters of kaboul and ade as captain/vice-captain to the uproar of the fans - I wonder if this is Poch being cynical or desperately trying to demonstrate something to Levy; or has Levy asked to turn them into good players so that the captain title can fetch a higher price ?

that was mostly the Berbatov cash from the previous summer window......Redknapp had to deal with the sell to buy policy, low net spend. Liverpool managers havent had this restriction as far as i can recall

He ****ed it all away on wages.
He got in players he knew on bargains but with huge wages attached.

so up to now the evidence is that we've got a pretty poor stock of players...AVB, Sherwood and Poch all struggling to make it work.

when it comes to buying players this split responsibility thing is always going to come up when the coach doesn't get his players. its one thing to say that the coach can train them.... but only if he has the final say on the outgoing player.

AVB wanted an upgrade on Dawson, but he couldn't get rid of him.

Now Poch has name the dual disasters of kaboul and ade as captain/vice-captain to the uproar of the fans - I wonder if this is Poch being cynical or desperately trying to demonstrate something to Levy; or has Levy asked to turn them into good players so that the captain title can fetch a higher price ?

i think you're being a little hasty in saying there's proof we have a poor group of players. MP has barely got his feet under the table so we don't really know what he can get out of them yet.

Stambouli is very vocal on the pitch the other nigth. Whether the other players understand him or not is another story.

Back