• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

He was never offered the Spurs job, so we will never know. I suspect that if he was offered the Spurs job first he would have taken it.

How do you know this for certain, Milo? I must say there is a big 'impression' (myth?) that he indeed was offered the role or had talks. How do you know for sure that he wasn't offered the job?

What I guess I'm basically asking is where did the 'myth' of Rodgers being offered the job originate from?

Rodgers first 5 at Liverpool:

3-0 loss WBA (A)
2-2 draw Emirates Marketing Project (H)
2-0 loss Arsenal (H)
1-1 draw Sunderland (A)
2-1 loss Man Utd (H)

in fact he managed 3 wins in his first 15..

Is it that hard to believe he just fancied the Liverpool job a bit more than the Spurs job? I know people on this forum don't like Liverpool (aimed at no one in particular) but they are still a huge club.

When Spurs were sounding out new managers at the time when Redknapp was flashing his knickers at The FA, Rodgers made it clear through his representatives that he wanted the Spurs job. The interest was not mutual however. Had Liverpool and us offered him a job at the same time then I have no idea who he would've chosen, but he was definitely VERY interested in Spurs.

How do you know this for certain, Milo? I must say there is a big 'impression' (myth?) that he indeed was offered the role or had talks. How do you know for sure that he wasn't offered the job?

What I guess I'm basically asking is where did the 'myth' of Rodgers being offered the job originate from?

Rodgers was appointed Liverpool manager before we sacked Redknapp - so no formal offer would have been made

Well no, the point is that it's not opinion - Liverpool were not proven to be more stable or to back their mangers more than we were at that time

John Henry gave Kenny Dalglish over £100m to spend in one season, I don't recall Redknapp getting that type of war chest from Levy.

You're missing the point again, perhaps HE felt they were more stable. Is it really that hard for you to believe?

All I'm trying to say is, I don't exactly think it's a huge leap of logic to believe there's still a lot of managers out there at the time who have chosen Liverpool over Spurs.

That choice never happened for any manager, so it is difficult to tell. Liverpool have a far bigger wage budget than us, so that would be attractive but we had a better first team and had out performed them for several years at that point. I think that most managers would pick the club with more recent success given the choice but I cannot prove that.

John Henry gave Kenny Dalglish over £100m to spend in one season, I don't recall Redknapp getting that type of war chest from Levy.

You're missing the point again, perhaps HE felt they were more stable. Is it really that hard for you to believe?

Redknapp was backed enough to build a side capable of finishing in the top 4 - Dalglish was backed with100m and then sacked at the first signs of it going wrong (sound familiar?)

yes it is hard for me to believe because they quite clearly were not more stable - in your own words - relegation positions/worst league finish in 20 years and then two sackings in as many years to round it all off. that is not stable - by anyone's yardstick

Redknapp was backed enough to build a side capable of finishing in the top 4 - Dalglish was backed with loads of money and then sacked at the first signs of it going wrong (sound familiar?)

I'll try to end this diplomatically, both jobs had their pluses and minuses, but I genuinely believe he looked at them and he believed he would get more time to build a team.

Very disappointing on Sunday, looked very flat, but he's still learning the squad, seeing who fits and who doesn't. Some games it's just clicked and we've looked very good like v QPR or Sunderland, other games we've looked poor, like v Liverpool and WBA. In the 'good' games however I can see a lot more promise than anything I saw under AVB and Sherwood in terms of entertainment and attacking intent, so hopefully it will come.

Like above someone mentioned Rodgers, but only have to look at LVG at United to see that no matter how good a manger is it takes time to teach a new philosophy and way of playing.

Very disappointing on Sunday, looked very flat, but he's still learning the squad, seeing who fits and who doesn't. Some games it's just clicked and we've looked very good like v QPR or Sunderland, other games we've looked poor, like v Liverpool and WBA. In the 'good' games however I can see a lot more promise than anything I saw under AVB and Sherwood in terms of entertainment and attacking intent, so hopefully it will come.

Like above someone mentioned Rodgers, but only have to look at LVG at United to see that no matter how good a manger is it takes time to teach a new philosophy and way of playing.

Bang on

I do wonder what kind of support Rodgers would get/would have got if he was our manager. There's no doubt he's an intelligent student of the game, but there seems to be a lot of derision of him on this forum and in real life. Is that just because he's the Liverpool manager?

I do wonder what kind of support Rodgers would get/would have got if he was our manager. There's no doubt he's an intelligent student of the game, but there seems to be a lot of derision of him on this forum and in real life. Is that just because he's the Liverpool manager?

Yep, that's basically it. I do also think he's quite arrogant and if he's not your manager, it's easy to see him as an arrogant, smug prick :)

he's very Partridge/Brent-esque in the way he goes about things - had he got us playing like Liverpool last season no one would have given a damn though

I think that it is because he's a bit of a prat and spouts psychobabble.

Erm....

BDtYfkfCYAAKPSq.jpg

Redknapp spent 40 million in his first window, mostly on players past their prime. I'd say that's a significant amount for us.

When Spurs were sounding out new managers at the time when Redknapp was flashing his knickers at The FA, Rodgers made it clear through his representatives that he wanted the Spurs job. The interest was not mutual however. Had Liverpool and us offered him a job at the same time then I have no idea who he would've chosen, but he was definitely VERY interested in Spurs.

Interesting.....source?

Back