• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Its professional, job done stuff. Win against them and CSKA at home and we are set.

The problem is, I'm unsure if Wembley actually counts as 'home'. :) I hope home advantage ekes us past those teams, but I'm not counting on it. Which is why I think we'll beat CSKA (since we beat 'em away), and we'll probably get a point against Leverkusen...which means Monaco is the must-win game here.

So if Poch doesn't win the CL in 2-3 years he's a goner, eh?

Tsk tsk...

Depends on a lot of things. Poch reminds me at the moment of Mancini during his first stint with Inter as manager - Solid in Serie A, Average in Europe. Perhaps he needs a stronger squad and another playmaker. If so, then the Isco rumours are credible.

Depends on a lot of things. Poch reminds me at the moment of Mancini during his first stint with Inter as manager - Solid in Serie A, Average in Europe. Perhaps he needs a stronger squad and another playmaker. If so, then the Isco rumours are credible.

Sorry @afsoc4life but I think you are getting way ahead of yourself here. So much can happen in 2-3 years that it's not really worth worrying about what will happen then. We are back in the CL for the first time in ages, and only second time in its current format. The guy has just signed a new contract! So long as we are regularly competing in the CL, then I'm 99% sure that that will be enough for Levy. Levy will only get rid of Poch when the team stagnates and is not successful.

To make comparisons with Mancini I just find strange as IIRC, he bought a lot of established stars rather than doing it in the manner that Poch has done.

I think both the team and Pochettino are learning to adjust and deal with CL football.

Adapting to CL football as well as keeping up a real top 4 challenge is difficult. We've seen this repeatedly. Poch is doing as well as can be expected, at least.

Sorry @afsoc4life but I think you are getting way ahead of yourself here. So much can happen in 2-3 years that it's not really worth worrying about what will happen then. We are back in the CL for the first time in ages, and only second time in its current format. The guy has just signed a new contract! So long as we are regularly competing in the CL, then I'm 99% sure that that will be enough for Levy. Levy will only get rid of Poch when the team stagnates and is not successful.

To make comparisons with Mancini I just find strange as IIRC, he bought a lot of established stars rather than doing it in the manner that Poch has done.

I will wait and see. The comparison with Mancini is based on performance both local and continental and not squad build.

I will wait and see. The comparison with Mancini is based on performance both local and continental and not squad build.

But Mancini was managing a side that excelled at club level because of a weak league hence why they were poor in Europe. We're doing well in the League and solid in Europe

But Mancini was managing a side that excelled at club level because of a weak league hence why they were poor in Europe. We're doing well in the League and solid in Europe

Serie A wasnt poor then. There were tough teams. Before Mancini, Inter had been struggling to win the league. We are not solid in Europe.

Serie A wasnt poor then. There were tough teams. Before Mancini, Inter had been struggling to win the league. We are not solid in Europe.

We're second in a tough group .... Surely that's solid

Sorry but who was decent in Italy at the time?? For me that's been a poor league for about 15 years

Sorry to burst any bubbles or delusions here ..

Our squad found it tough in previous years to get to semi-finals of Europa, getting out of group stages in CL will be a decent run.

Our problem in Europe is not Poch, its the fact that our squad is not as good as people think. Put Gareth Bale in this squad (with Poch) and you would get to CL QF/SF every time, similar if we had Aquero up front. CL is the best of the best and it shows, sides can be a lot more clinical, a lot better tactically and defensively.

If anyone, Levy or otherwise wanted to start measuring Poch on Europe/CL progress, we would need to starting adding finished article WC players to squad.

So far Pochettino has participated twice in the EL with us, a competition we haven't prioritized as highly as the league. Knocked out in the round of 32 by a fairly good Fiorentina side once and in the round of 16 by an excellent Dortmund side once.

In his first season in the CL we're currently second in our group and with a good chance of getting out of the group stage while getting very good results in the league.

I just don't see what it is about these results that draws your comparison to Mancini failing year after year in the CL with a strong Inter side and a very strong Emirates Marketing Project side. Do you really feel it's our given right to beat teams like Fiorentina and Dortmund in the EL every year? Or is it that we're not cruising our CL group by now that you're unhappy about?

How far will we have to progress in this year's CL to make you drop the Mancini comparison?

I am not interested in Mancini's stint in Emirates Marketing Project. I am referring to his stint in Inter. There was a reason Mancini was removed for Mourinho. Inter was very good in the league and yet were not getting similar levels of performance in Europe.

My comparison with Pochettino is based on Spurs playing better in the league than in Europe. There are few games that I could point to in his 2+ years here where Spurs played very well. I dont know if it is a lack of a plan B or if it is the players but Spurs in Europe is not as good looking as Spurs in the EPL. This applies to both Europa and CL.

What is it that I see - I see players making mistakes on the ball that they don't make in the league. I see attacks break down way more in Europe (from unforced errors) than in the league. Why? I just dont know. I can only hope that Poch is looking at it and seeing the same concerns. Perhaps it is just that we are meeting better teams (but then we play better vs. City, Utd, Arsenal, Pool).

Needs a plan B for when plan A goes dipshiite!!

Challenge for Poch today though was that aside from the first 11, we didn't really have any options. GKN did well when he came on however he takes up the space which Rose uses so well, and therefore neutralises one of out most potent attacking players. I'd like to see him play more centrally. Playing with one winger is also a bid odd given we don't have anyone on the other side

Back