• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

At the moment there is no easy decision, we have so many players who are off form ( and i include Alli in that). Lets hope that the players turn their form round and we can once again look a threat going forward.

To be honest we are not playing well but even against Leicester we were the better side and should have won. Lloris has had hardly nothing to do this season and with our defence looking solid we just need the M/F players to step up again. Its not all doom and gloom ( like some fans are trying to make it sound) but lets hope the likes of Lamela, Eriksen, Alii and Dembélé ( and others) find their form soon.
Good post. To add to this the only game where we were slightly fortuitous with the result this season was Liverpool. in every other game we either got the win we deserved or drew when we deserved to win. If we are doing that without even really being on form that is an incredibly good barometer of how far Pochettino has already taken us.

Last edited:
Good post. To add to this the only game where we were slightly fortuitous with the result this season was Liverpool. in every other game we either got the win we deserved or free when we deserved to win. If we are doing that without even really being on form that is an incredibly good barometer of how far Pochettino has already taken us.

Indeed, i am at lost to understand why there is so much doom and gloom around amongst some Spurs fans, we have some of our best players off form ( no big deal it happens to most players during a season) our problem that it has happened to a few players all at once. We also have two of our best players out with injury ( Kane and Toby) and a couple who are still trying to settle into a new set up ( Janssen and Sissoko).

We are STILL a work in progress and IF some fans think we are a poor side then all i can say is they should have been around and watched some of the brick we played during the 90's.

I dont believe that even in your darkest Spurs supporting moments you can ever compare Spurs now and that fine fine 1990 'vintage'.

I don't think I'd call it doom and gloom, really, I think it's just that people got a bit carried away with last season's abortive title challenge and now there's natural disappointment at the realisation the optimism they felt that we would be 'even better' this time out appears (so far) to have been misplaced.

A lot can still change with three-quarters of the season to go, obviously, but with only United continuing to look like they might induce any more furrowing of brows at Sky, the top four does appear to have taken on a rather more familiar look again. The sides above us have already gained potentially significant numbers of points over us on equivalent results from last season, with Arsenal currently enjoying a 6-point swing in their favour, for example, and that's the least of them.

In short, whereas I think last term, people tended to downplay the level of underperformance of the usual suspects and focus mainly on our good form, which only meant that expectations for this season were ramped up, now the boot seems to be back on the other foot again, and some are disillusioned by that. I also detect quite a lot of lingering resentment that, in a season where such an opportunity presented itself, it was Leicester who came from nowhere and took advantage, rather than us. 'We were more entitled to it than them' is the sentiment that lies only just beneath the surface of a lot of the current angst.

I don't think I'd call it doom and gloom, really, I think it's just that people got a bit carried away with last season's abortive title challenge and now there's natural disappointment at the realisation the optimism they felt that we would be 'even better' this time out appears (so far) to have been misplaced.

A lot can still change with three-quarters of the season to go, obviously, but with only United continuing to look like they might induce any more furrowing of brows at Sky, the top four does appear to have taken on a rather more familiar look again. The sides above us have already gained potentially significant numbers of points over us on equivalent results from last season, with Arsenal currently enjoying a 6-point swing in their favour, for example, and that's the least of them.

In short, whereas I think last term, people tended to downplay the level of underperformance of the usual suspects and focus mainly on our good form, which only meant that expectations for this season were ramped up, now the boot seems to be back on the other foot again, and some are disillusioned by that. I also detect quite a lot of lingering resentment that, in a season where such an opportunity presented itself, it was Leicester who came from nowhere and took advantage, rather than us. 'We were more entitled to it than them' is the sentiment that lies only just beneath the surface of a lot of the current angst.

So far this season we have been up and down like I don't know what!

Entitled! They are idiotic then!
Leicester made mugs of us and we crumbled, pure and simple!

Ah, but we've been buying tickets to the ball year in, year out, and they just gatecrashed the party ... or so the thinking goes, I suspect.

And we then got to the ball and tripped, fell flat on our face during the last slow dance and landed eventually on our arse!

Good post. To add to this the only game where we were slightly fortuitous with the result this season was Liverpool. in every other game we either got the win we deserved or drew when we deserved to win. If we are doing that without even really being on form that is an incredibly good barometer of how far Pochettino has already taken us.
It was the same last year, though. We outplayed everyone in the first 10 games (and beyond that), but still didn't get the results. As a matter of fact, I think it was more emphatic last year. The first game that I remember where we were outplayed was West Ham in March (even in the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game at home we were better, but lost focus in the final quarter of the game). So I think we're a bit below par this season, with the difference being we have a much meaner defense, which is contributing to our better results.

This is his third season and the club have changed a lot in those seasons in player turnover etc. Unless you are one of the money doped clubs ( who can do more quicker) i do not think he should/could have done it quicker no. I wanted Dembélé ( Fulham) because from what i have been told by those who worked with him at Fulham he is going to the top, for whatever reason we did not get him.

I see no problem with bringing in another M/F at all, we needed to get rid of Mason and Bentaleb ( for whatever reasons) and the rest of our M/F were much of a muchness, we needed another player who could offer us more then the others and Sissoko is the type of M/F who could do that.

The only question i have is will he do so? i am willing to give him time ( unlike some who have already written him off).
Just tucked one in from the spot after he was pulled down in the box. There is no denying he has the talent. I wouldn't mind us trying for him again in a future transfer window.

Just tucked one in from the spot after he was pulled down in the box. There is no denying he has the talent. I wouldn't mind us trying for him again in a future transfer window.

That makes 16 goals in 22 matches, i know the SP is a bit micky mouse but for a 20 year old kid that is good going. I hope we do go in for him again but i would think there will be a lot of clubs sniffing around ( especially if he keeps that record going). Like i said earlier i know some of the coaches who worked with him at Fulham and they all said his attitude is great and his potential is high.

Last edited:

This doesn't equal expecting a 'title challenge', though. Personally I feel like we still don't have the mental fortitude required for such a feat - our players certainly don't, and our manager probably doesn't. It's just a statement of fact. However, a mild improvement on the results gained last season against these same sides would have been something people could have feasibly expected going into 2016-2017, and so far we haven't done that against anyone bar Leicester (and I think we're still a point down on the tally from the same games last season).

Leicester did what they did because they were mentally strong, got lucky and played with a fine consistency that lasted all season. Spurs have almost never been the embodiment of any of those things (our history bears witness to that, I feel), so I'm not expecting Poch or anyone else to change it up radically to the point where one good season where we still only finished on 70 points (the same as Redknapp managed in 2009-2010) suddenly sets the stage for a serious title challenge the following year. However, I do have to say that he's been given a bit of leeway that our previous managers haven't been afforded with our foray into positive net spending, and that, consequently, I do expect him to at least better our tally from last season in terms of points, if not places. Additionally, having been given the ability to reshape the squad to the extent of going into positive net spend territory, I remain bitterly disappointed that he threw away the League Cup so unashamedly.

That's the good and bad side of backing a manager, as Levy has now (to some extent) done - it allows you to set expectations of him, and judge his performance more fairly. So far, I'm reserving any judgement on our league campaign beyond observing that we've slightly regressed on our points tally from the same games last season, and I ultimately expect us to finish with more points than we did last season. In terms of domestic cups, I'm bitterly disappointed by his continued dismissal of them (imo) as trophies worth winning, and he's failed my expectations (or hopes, either way) on that score.

That makes 16 goals in 22 matches, i know the SP is a bit micky mouse but for a 20 year old kid that is good going. I hope we do go in for him again but i would think there will be a lot of clubs sniffing around ( especially if he keeps that record going). Like i said earlier i know some of the coaches who worked with him at Fulham and they all said is attitude is great and his potential is high.

That's really interesting. Fulham fans seemed a bit off-put by their perception of him as being a pure finisher and a bit lazy in the press (although, of course, they'd have loved to have kept a hold of him) - his coaches have different things to say, I take it?

That's really interesting. Fulham fans seemed a bit off-put by their perception of him as being a pure finisher and a bit lazy in the press (although, of course, they'd have loved to have kept a hold of him) - his coaches have different things to say, I take it?

They do yes. As for the fans i would take that with a pinch of salt, he made is debue at 17 and played his last game at 19. As we know a lot of fans are quick to judge young players and sometimes do not give players time to grow and learn.

All i know is that he was highly rated by the youth coaches and said his attitude was first class about learning and improving his game.

They do yes. As for the fans i would take that with a pinch of salt, he made is debue at 17 and played his last game at 19. As we know a lot of fans are quick to judge young players and sometimes do not give players time to grow and learn.

All i know is that he was highly rated by the youth coaches and said his attitude was first class about learning and improving his game.

We missed a trick when the lad slipped through our fingers.

Wonder if Celtic need an French international right midfielder:oops:

We missed a trick when the lad slipped through our fingers.

Wonder if Celtic need an French international right midfielder:oops:

It seems that way, no idea why we did not follow up our interest in the summer again. I guess the club/Poch had their reasons.

Fair. Let's see how he turns out - I don't think we'll get another CF in unless Poch permanently switches to a two-man strike partnership up front (a 4-1-3-2, perhaps, or just an Atletico-esque narrow 4-4-2), but if he does decide to do that, then I could definitely see us making another move for the guy provided he grows as expected at Celtic. After all, Wanyama came to the PL from Parkhead - didn't do too badly. ;)

Fair. Let's see how he turns out - I don't think we'll get another CF in unless Poch permanently switches to a two-man strike partnership up front (a 4-1-3-2, perhaps, or just an Atletico-esque narrow 4-4-2), but if he does decide to do that, then I could definitely see us making another move for the guy provided he grows as expected at Celtic. After all, Wanyama came to the PL from Parkhead - didn't do too badly. ;)

Do not get me wrong i think Janssen will turn out to be a good buy in the end, but i was a little surprised we did not follow up with our interest. I have a feeling that if he keeps up his progress there will be a lot of interest in him this summer.

Back