• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

He will be offered 'riches beyond his wildest dreams' from fairytale clubs like United as they try to keep up with City, IF they turf Jose out next summer. Lets not kid ourselves. SAF is a big fan.

I'm not worried one bit about Man United. Their time to get him was when they got Moyes, when they needed to assess the capabilities rather than the reputations of potential managers and make the right decision. They failed and we were best placed to snap him up.

If they offer serious money Levy will just up it. Wasn't Fergie the highest paid footballing staff member by the time he retired? Once it becomes clear the strategy revolves significantly around that person Levy won't let him go. There's no need to worry about breaking a wage structure when he has no peer in the club. And besides, if we are are challenging for titles, it just isn't a step up. I'll bet anyone anything that Man United aren't able to poach Poch from us.

I hope you are right, but to me Manchester United are the biggest club in the world and any manager should be prepared crawl over broken glass for that job if they had any faith in themselves.

I'm not worried one bit about Man United. Their time to get him was when they got Moyes, when they needed to assess the capabilities rather than the reputations of potential managers and make the right decision. They failed and we were best placed to snap him up.

If they offer serious money Levy will just up it. Wasn't Fergie the highest paid footballing staff member by the time he retired? Once it becomes clear the strategy revolves significantly around that person Levy won't let him go. There's no need to worry about breaking a wage structure when he has no peer in the club. And besides, if we are are challenging for titles, it just isn't a step up. I'll bet anyone anything that Man United aren't able to poach Poch from us.

I would agree - but they will very tinkled off if Jose carries on like LVG mk II - they will then start throwing money around with even greater stupidity than they did this summer - hard to believe but this is Man U.

He'll leave eventually. I have little doubt about that. I also have little doubt that Levy will try to prolong that eventuality as long as humanly possible - and, furthermore, I think Levy will succeed in making sure that we don't let him go to an English club.

PSG, Madrid, Bayern or Barca come 2019 or 2020 - I suspect that's where he goes next. By then, our new stadium will be up and running, and we'll hopefully begin wielding the clout that the extra income will give us - the man who comes after Poch will probably be of a higher profile than any of our past appointments, while still possessing the essential elements of what makes our current crop of players so loyal to MoPo - personal charisma, willingness to give players a chance, ability to improve players already at the club and so on. Perhaps Tuchel. Perhaps Julian Nagelsmann, if he improves between now and then and moves on from Hoffenheim. Perhaps even Klopp, to keep the gegenpressing train rolling.

But United are brick out of luck, I suspect. And although I still have reservations about Levy's ballbusting behaviour, when turned against people coming for our staff and players, it's a sight to behold. :)

I hope you are right, but to me Manchester United are the biggest club in the world and any manager should be prepared crawl over broken glass for that job if they had any faith in themselves.

I don't think there the biggest club in Manchester anymore in players minds!!!

Fans always see it differently but United are currently treading water and need something to happen quickly

If and when Poch leaves he will look for a club that he can do what he wants at and I don't see that at any of the mega clubs which works in our favour

I also remember when Wenger was leaving a few times and he never did

When we have the new stadium and Poch has his team I can't see him going in a hurry. He has an affinity with the club now as he rules the roost

I don't think it works like that though with people that are smart about their careers. A big part of being successful is about picking the right opportunity that suits your skills, cultural preferences, capability within structures etc etc.

There are innovators and there are maintainers. Poch is an innovator. Or to put it another way, the people that thrive in tech start ups to not thrive in bigger enterprises unless they are a rare breed. It is a different skill set, but there's many examples of a start up hiring a big name thinking that they will be perfect for them, but that person being wholly unsuited to the day to day. Similarly there are plenty of companies that try to hire 'cool' people from the start up world to help them transform digitally, but these people that are used to moving at breakneck speed in early stage companies end up getting caught in red tape. Too many layers of management need to have their say and their approval to get anything done.

In football I see it similar. I don't subscribe to good managers and bad managers. I subscribe to managers finding the right fit, which is often luck, and then being successful. Like I think Di Canio could have been a good manager somewhere. Different clubs have different challenges, environments, cultures, squads, ways of doing things and to get all of that right requires a lot of strategic thinking when making a managerial appointment.

Levy didn't plan this 15 years ago, but I think through so many failures he finally uncovered the right formula. We are probably 6th in terms of wealth in the league, but we give a good platform for youth, and we like attacking football. I think his original idea (or certainly since Arnesen) has been to get a manager that implements a system that performs greater than the sum of its parts, because that is how we will compete. So Santini has a system, but doesn't satisfy the demands for attacking, so one of the three pillars of our strategy doesn't work. Jol was attacking, but too tactically lax. Ramos had a system, attacked, but couldn't speak English. Harry was English, attached, but was too tactically lax. AVB had a system, but didn't trust youth and demanded too much money for unrealistic signings. Sherwood attached, trusted youth, but was too tactically lax.

I think finally, after all of that, we got someone that attacks, knows the Premier League, trusts in youth, plays attacking football and at the same time has a system that makes the whole greater than the parts. So every strategic advantage we can leverage is taken care of and used to its maximum, rather than compromising one essential part. And I think Poch knows this. I can see him being our Wenger, who surely had offers bigger than Arsenal through his time but stayed because of his belief in a greater project.

We can apply this thinking to other clubs and almost predict who will be successful, but it is why I am so confident about Spurs. Man United can spend and the my attack, and they have a culture of longevity. Moyes had longevity but compromised the other two. LVG had longevity but again was too much of a compromise of other strategic advantages. If Poch goes there, he'd have longevity, he'd attack, but their desire to be box office means he'd had to contend with players that won't run as hard, and so his advantage - and what makes him good here - doesn't work. Either the club or the manager would have to change, where as he could and will stay here because he knows it's the right place.

It astounds me that so many people apply 'block logic' to a situation.

Some people, albeit in football increasingly few, are motivated by more than money. They want to be paid well of course, but working environment is everything. We are, right now, on the cusp of a return to greatness. We are soon to have the best stadium in the country. We have the best squad of young talent arguably in the Premiership, all committed long-term. And we have seen Levy back right off and give Poch a hell of a lot of reign. These are the ingredients which lead to fresh legacies being built. Poch knows that if the conditions remain the same in terms of working environment, he is on course for the 'full statue' as I call it, and status throughout the football world as not just a Kingmaker, but the man who brought back one of the most famous sleeping giants in the game. Granted, he will have to win something in the next couple of years, but I absolutely do NOT see him bolting to Man U or PSG just because they wave a chequebook at him. He is made of different stuff IMO. I think if all remains well conditions-wise, he will be here for at least a decade. There. I said it.

It astounds me that so many people apply 'block logic' to a situation.

Some people, albeit in football increasingly few, are motivated by more than money. They want to be paid well of course, but working environment is everything. We are, right now, on the cusp of a return to greatness. We are soon to have the best stadium in the country. We have the best squad of young talent arguably in the Premiership, all committed long-term. And we have seen Levy back right off and give Poch a hell of a lot of reign. These are the ingredients which lead to fresh legacies being built. Poch knows that if the conditions remain the same in terms of working environment, he is on course for the 'full statue' as I call it, and status throughout the football world as not just a Kingmaker, but the man who brought back one of the most famous sleeping giants in the game. Granted, he will have to win something in the next couple of years, but I absolutely do NOT see him bolting to Man U or PSG just because they wave a chequebook at him. He is made of different stuff IMO. I think if all remains well conditions-wise, he will be here for at least a decade. There. I said it.

I can agree with most of that, i see Poch wanting to do what Fergie did at Utd ( by raising the biggest team in England back to the heights) i was working in Manchester when he took over and i remember a interview he gave on Utd TV ( i think it was). He said he knew it was going to be a big job and he could not understand how poor the youth system at Utd was and that was going to be his first priorty to sort out. As we all know he found it hard at first ( and there were banners over his first couple of years by fans who wanted him out) Thankfully ( for Utd) the board stuck with him nad the rest is history.

I can see Poch having the same ambition here and he is ahead of schedule ( imo) and like you i really believe he will carry on with the job until he does so.

He has not given me any indication that he is looking for pasteurs new. He could have walked into that Utd job this summer or even Chelsea.

I think he believes in himself to deliver and levy seems to be backing his man. Poch even knows the current limitations of the clubs transfer policy and happily is getting in with it.

Again poch as said nothing but ambitious things like building a dynasty and make tottenham one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Until that day comes I'm having too much of a good time following us to bother about it.

He is saying all of the right things without trying to win anyone over. He doesn't do flattery, so trust him off the pitch as much you do on it.

I would be more worried about him leaving after he delivers a title.

Last edited:
He has not given me any indication that he is looking for pasteurs new. He could have walked into that Utd job this summer or even Chelsea.

I think he believes in himself to deliver and levy seems to be backing his man. Poch even knows the current limitations of the clubs transfer policy and happily is getting in with it.

Again poch as said nothing but ambitious things like building a dynasty and make tottenham one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Until that day comes I'm having too much of a good time following us to bother about it.

He is saying all of the right things without trying to win anyone over. He doesn't do flattery, so trust him off the pitch as much you do on it.

I think it's only natural for these ideas to ferment.

Do people really think he'd go to PSG in the short-medium team? They are lottery winners in a tinkle poor league. They won the league by about 20 points last season. It would be like taking the Celtic job.

I know he used to play for them, so it might be a sentimental move further down the line. But while his career is on the wax, it makes no sense at all

Precisely my worry. And timing could be crucial. In the light of day though, and sine vinum, I recognise that there's bugger all we can do about it anyway, so we might just as well enjoy the ride.

Watching the City win on Sunday, it looked to me that Poch has possibly honed our in-game resource management in terms of having that time when we ease off the gas a little but stay compact AND still carry a threat going forward.

I'm thinking that my fears of late season burnout because of the heavy training regime and the "constant press" are being addressed as Poch and the squad evolve.

Thoughts?

On the one hand Dier might not like is as he was a guaranteed starter last season but on the other hand rotating two quality players means neither will run of steam and we were not look jaded in the "engine room" come March, April and June. We really our progressing as a club and I love it
As long as we are challenging for top 4 he will be fine, made him first name on the England team sheet moved him into a position where he never thought he would be. If he can't appreciate that then he is not the gorgeous man I think he is

I can agree with most of that, i see Poch wanting to do what Fergie did at Utd ( by raising the biggest team in England back to the heights) i was working in Manchester when he took over and i remember a interview he gave on Utd TV ( i think it was). He said he knew it was going to be a big job and he could not understand how poor the youth system at Utd was and that was going to be his first priorty to sort out. As we all know he found it hard at first ( and there were banners over his first couple of years by fans who wanted him out) Thankfully ( for Utd) the board stuck with him nad the rest is history.

I can see Poch having the same ambition here and he is ahead of schedule ( imo) and like you i really believe he will carry on with the job until he does so.

Absolutely! He speaks with Fergie too...I have met the latter twice, and each time he has been both friendly and conversational. The last time was last season, early doors, and he asked how I felt about Kane's goal drought and Poch. I told him form is temporary class permanent and I wasn't concerned about Hazza at all, I then told him I thought the manager was onto something big. He was quick to agree.

Watching the City win on Sunday, it looked to me that Poch has possibly honed our in-game resource management in terms of having that time when we ease off the gas a little but stay compact AND still carry a threat going forward.

I'm thinking that my fears of late season burnout because of the heavy training regime and the "constant press" are being addressed as Poch and the squad evolve.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I don't doubt plans to mitigate another late season drop-off in performance will have been high on the agenda, but isn't it remarkable how — and not for the first time — we seem to have almost stumbled over a perfect solution (with Son), after circumstances have forced us into a change. 'No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy' is a cliché, but serendipity is always big factor when it comes to determining success or failure in football, and I think what we've seen here is Pochettino passing the Napoleon Test.

You have to have signed the players in the first place to be able to use them, of course, but fortune does seem to have favoured us here in Kane's absence, as it has in the past to allow the emergence of other key players. I don't want to bash Janssen at all, but I just don't think we'd have won Sunday if he'd been the only available stand-in. Long may our 'lucky general' prosper. We already knew he was a good one.

Back