• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

On the one hand Dier might not like is as he was a guaranteed starter last season but on the other hand rotating two quality players means neither will run of steam and we were not look jaded in the "engine room" come March, April and June. We really our progressing as a club and I love it

Disclaimer: Rambling post, I have had a few glasses of wine.

I sometimes think the worst thing that could happen to Spurs at the moment, especially before the new stadium is up and running, would be for Pochettino to win the league.

That may sound crazy to some (I mean, it does to me, if I say it out loud), but if people worry there's going to be pressure on us now to let him and/or our glittering array of playing talent go, wait till we've celebrated an against-all-odds first-place finish — it'll reach a new level of onslaught altogether.

I think there's an argument that we aren't ready for that just yet, and won't be till we're well established in the new build and we have a few more CL seasons under our belts. It would be absolutely incredible, but I wonder whether it could turn out to be a sort of premature ejaculation. After all, when the big money has come in and heads have turned, Levy (with one notable exception) has dealt.

Pochettino seems to have a very bright vision of what this squad might become in time. He talks pleasingly in terms of developing a philosophy. He may well be intent on pursuing his own, self-set, professional goals rather than mere pecuniary ones as well, and see remaining here as his preferred option in that sense for the foreseeable. I certainly hope that's so (and I actually believe it is; my admiration for the man grows by the week, not least for that reason). His players may even lean the same way, in contrast to the picture I have of many of their generation, but as a wise man once said, a victory can be a very dangerous opportunity, and square one beckons us in some scenarios should our main man be prised away by a determined and star-struck admirer. Rest assured that there are beady eyes affixed as I write.

I suppose what I'm really saying is, "Christ, I hope he stays here."

I shall now retire and dream thfcsteff type dreams of the extended Pochettino era and all its potential glories.

Last edited:

I sometimes think the worst thing that could happen to Spurs at the moment, especially before the new stadium is up and running, would be for Pochettino to win the league.

That may sound crazy to some (I mean, it does to me, if I say it out loud), but if people worry there's going to be pressure on us now to let him and/or our glittering array of playing talent go, wait till we've celebrated an against-all-odds first-place finish — it'll reach a new level of onslaught altogether.

I think there's an argument that we aren't ready for that just yet, and won't be till we're well established in the new build and we have a few more CL seasons under our belts. It would be absolutely incredible, but I wonder whether it could turn out to be a sort of premature ejaculation. After all, when the big money has come in and heads have turned, Levy (with one notable exception) has dealt.

Pochettino seems to have a very bright vision of what this squad might become in time. He talks pleasingly in terms of developing a philosophy. He may well be intent on pursuing his own, self-set, professional goals rather than mere pecuniary ones as well, and see remaining here as his preferred option in that sense for the foreseeable. I certainly hope that's so (and I actually believe it is; my admiration for the man grows by the week, not least for that reason). His players may even lean the same way, in contrast to the picture I have of many of their generation, but as a wise man once said, a victory can be a very dangerous opportunity, and square one beckons us in some scenarios should our main man be prised away by a determined and star-struck admirer. Rest assured that there are beady eyes affixed as I write.

I shall now retire and dream thfcsteff type dreams of the extended Pochettino era and all its potential glories.
Please don't drink wine and post. Winning the league would be fab.

He can handle it. I think, if things keep going to plan, we have him for at least a decade!!!!

He has previously spoken of building a legacy, so that to me would mean he intends to stick around for a good while. I do know what you mean, and of course, things can change, but I think we have more risk of losing players if we are near-achievers than if we are actually winning things.
We are going to get pressure and big offers for our players now anyway - I can't think of one player from Sunday's game who would not be on someone's wish list for example.
I think Poch will be well aware of the risk of losing players, and that's why he wants to work with our youngsters as well to make sure we have players coming through the ranks, as well as buying established players where appropriate.
The biggest risk of Poch wanting to move on, imo, would be if there was a falling out with Levy, or a perceived lack of support from Levy. And given what happened this transfer window with Sissoko, and with overcoming the hurdles to Eriksen's contract negotiations, that does not seem likely, at least for the time being.
So rest easy - he's in it for the long game, and we are going to win things!

He has previously spoken of building a legacy, so that to me would mean he intends to stick around for a good while. I do know what you mean, and of course, things can change, but I think we have more risk of losing players if we are near-achievers than if we are actually winning things.
We are going to get pressure and big offers for our players now anyway - I can't think of one player from Sunday's game who would not be on someone's wish list for example.
I think Poch will be well aware of the risk of losing players, and that's why he wants to work with our youngsters as well to make sure we have players coming through the ranks, as well as buying established players where appropriate.
The biggest risk of Poch wanting to move on, imo, would be if there was a falling out with Levy, or a perceived lack of support from Levy. And given what happened this transfer window with Sissoko, and with overcoming the hurdles to Eriksen's contract negotiations, that does not seem likely, at least for the time being.
So rest easy - he's in it for the long game, and we are going to win things!
So long as we are doing well everything should stay rosy. But in the past Levy has shown he's very much results-orientated so the big test may come when we hit a bad patch and things start going against us. Fingers crossed that's still a long, long way down the line, but sooner or later it's bound to happen. That's when we'll find out whether Levy has really bought into Pochettino's talk of building a legacy.

So long as we are doing well everything should stay rosy. But in the past Levy has shown he's very much results-orientated so the big test may come when we hit a bad patch and things start going against us. Fingers crossed that's still a long, long way down the line, but sooner or later it's bound to happen. That's when we'll find out whether Levy has really bought into Pochettino's talk of building a legacy.

Oh of course. Easy to be upbeat when all is going well. However I do feel confident that we are going to experience the good times before we re-live the bad times, so not too worried right now.

Well written for someone who had a few.

I see where you are coming from but winning the league could equally be a springboard to greater things for the club. I would be willing to take the gamble.

Good post. Fingers crossed we don't win anything.

Don't think poch would be satisfied with one title. Retaining it has always proved difficult so there's that to aim for as well.
And WHEN we will the title he will have the CL to target.
Loads to achieve before he thinks about pastures new, but once he has achieved all that why would he leave.

i'd like to see poch try wanyama with dier and dembele at the same time. really. i thnk dier can ping 'em and dembele can be free to dribble the ball into goal.

This sums up sport journalism in the world! They are all bad IMHO.

Mauricio Pochettino could find himself in the middle of a tug-of-war between Manchester United and City http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-might-find-himself-8982411?

I find it utterly hilarious how behind the times the press are compared with what is happening under their eyes. We were clearly excellent last season but only really became title contenders in the press' eyes relatively late compared to the 'big boys'. This year, barely anyone predicted we would challenge again despite keeping all our best players, plugging squad gaps and having a years' experience of ultimate failure to know what we need to correct this time around.

But the biggest hilarity is, the idea that Poch would want to go to the basket case Manchester clubs if he continues to be successful with us. It simply wouldn't be a step up. Worse squads (certainly at United), behind the times, short term expectations and no attraction for a guy that doesn't need huge transfer budgets to get a team performing well. He could do it sure, but he is performing exceptionally here because his methods are best suited to players that lack ego.

We're moving into one of the best stadiums in the country. We have a team that wants to be together for years to come. We are challenging at the top of the league and out performing the best. Every year we get told the big boys will spend and every year they do, thinking money is the solution to taking back their 'rightful place'. Every year we just keep doing our thing and getting better. When the press, pundits, and everyone else realise all of this it would be quite nice.

On another note though, thinking what could go wrong with Poch...I've been thinking today having read about Pep that some of his players say he burns them out, particularly at the 3 year point. I don't think Poch is incapable of getting results at the latter end of the season but what about 3 years in? Like what happened with Espanyol, in a couple of years will this team that has ran so hard for him still be able to? Will he need to make wholesale changes? Hopefully this, and the idea of rotation throughout the season, formed the basis of discussion for his lunch with Fergie last season.

i think that's the thing we need to guard against. We need a guy at the top who can provide longevity like Fergie or Wenger, as that's how we maximise our young talent and academy. I don't think he'll get poached but I do worry he may be less effective 2 years down the line. Like what happened with Klopp at Dortmund too...sometimes you need a change as a player to find that extra level of motivation again.

On another note though, thinking what could go wrong with Poch...I've been thinking today having read about Pep that some of his players say he burns them out, particularly at the 3 year point. I don't think Poch is incapable of getting results at the latter end of the season but what about 3 years in? Like what happened with Espanyol, in a couple of years will this team that has ran so hard for him still be able to? Will he need to make wholesale changes? Hopefully this, and the idea of rotation throughout the season, formed the basis of discussion for his lunch with Fergie last season.

i think that's the thing we need to guard against. We need a guy at the top who can provide longevity like Fergie or Wenger, as that's how we maximise our young talent and academy. I don't think he'll get poached but I do worry he may be less effective 2 years down the line. Like what happened with Klopp at Dortmund too...sometimes you need a change as a player to find that extra level of motivation again.

He will be offered 'riches beyond his wildest dreams' from fairytale clubs like United as they try to keep up with City, IF they turf Jose out next summer. Lets not kid ourselves. SAF is a big fan.

was he at Espanyol that long? i was under the impression that what went wrong there was financial and that he had his first team players sold out from under him and he had to make do with free transfers/academy payers who weren't up to the job?

was he at Espanyol that long? i was under the impression that what went wrong there was financial and that he had his first team players sold out from under him and he had to make do with free transfers/academy payers who weren't up to the job?

Maybe that was the case. I'd like to know more!

Back