• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I have noticed something about pundits and journalist this season, even though we are undefeated they say we are not convincing, funny thing though, in the past when Chelsea, Man Utd or Emirates Marketing Project would scrape a win by the odd goal they would say they ground out a result and that is the mark of champions.

The media like to think they create the story nowadays, not just report it. Training people to parrot media messages is what they are all about, and large numbers can always be relied on to do just that, whether the narrative is about football, politics, or anything else, unfortunately. People find it easier to see through when the spin is against their team, but there's so much inherent bias in most "journalism", it's untrue. For the reasons why, all you have to do, as they say, is follow the money.

I have noticed something about pundits and journalist this season, even though we are undefeated they say we are not convincing, funny thing though, in the past when Chelsea, Man Utd or Emirates Marketing Project would scrape a win by the odd goal they would say they ground out a result and that is the mark of champions.
We are not a club with a history of doing well in the league. We have to become a club that consistently challenges for the title or attains the top 4 before we are taken seriously by the media. It's no biggie and nothing to concern ourselves about. Better to fly under the radar, imo, unlike Liverpool around whom there is currently so much hype after some good performances. Also I think poch unlike some of the other top managers is a quiet media personality which helps keeps our achievements grounded.

Is a large international tournament at home a good measure of "overall application"? Seems like just about the worst place to judge such a thing for me.

Not necessarily the best environment to judge him, I agree. But at least it shows he has it in him. Poch must also have identified something in him to get Levy to pay £30m for a 27 year old which has gone against all our perceived signing guidelines. Would he have made such an expensive gamble without being pretty confident he will be a substantial asset to us?

Another achievement for Poch to add to his CV at Spurs: Our joint longest unbeaten run at the start of the season of the Premier League era. Also the first Spurs manager of the Premier League era to get through September still unbeaten in the league.

The last time we didn't lose in the first six was under Santini in 2004. We then lost to a team from Manchester at the Lane....

Another achievement for Poch to add to his CV at Spurs: Our joint longest unbeaten run at the start of the season of the Premier League era. Also the first Spurs manager of the Premier League era to get through September still unbeaten in the league.

The last time we didn't lose in the first six was under Santini in 2004. We then lost to a team from Manchester at the Lane....
wait, what, city beat us ? Bloody Pep and that Etihad money I say ! We'll get them back next weekend !

Memory faux pas aside tho, Poch has been recently quoted about how he wants us to trust in the squad. Obviously it's more an answer to queries from the media, but I say no - the squad reflects Poch and his ideas, and right now, I say all of us are trusting in The Man himself. He is a Godsend - because for years I have wanted us to be tight at the back, got a hint of that when we had the King and Woody. Now we have it with Lloris leading all the way up to the front.

As JT said it with McD - I'm Lovin It !

Dont remind me of the Manchester game. For me the Spurs' current revival started with Jacques Santini. Although we saw players like Pamarot, Sean Davis etc Santini was manager of France and based on that when I heard he was taking over Spurs, I was delighted. Not to mention Frank Arnesen. Then in came Jol (return to European football) followed by Ramos (who won us our last title). Post Ramos came Redknapp (he of the CL qualification), then AVB (of the highest points total). We then got Sherwood (he who throws tantrums) and then Pochettino!! His story is still being written but so far there have been some good milestones. All of this of course under the personality that is Daniel Levy.

Dont remind me of the Manchester game. For me the Spurs' current revival started with Jacques Santini. Although we saw players like Pamarot, Sean Davis etc Santini was manager of France and based on that when I heard he was taking over Spurs, I was delighted. Not to mention Frank Arnesen. Then in came Jol (return to European football) followed by Ramos (who won us our last title). Post Ramos came Redknapp (he of the CL qualification), then AVB (of the highest points total). We then got Sherwood (he who throws tantrums) and then Pochettino!! His story is still being written but so far there have been some good milestones. All of this of course under the personality that is Daniel Levy.
Personally I would discount Santini and skip straight to Jol.... Jol put Carrick straight in the team as soon as he took over from Santini and results (and performances) improved immediately. I didn't see anything before Jol that suggested we were going to be any better under Santini than we were prior to him joining. I do agree that Arnesen was pivotal in us improving however - he seemed to be able to identify and bring in reasonably cheap players who had an immediate impact.

Personally I would discount Santini and skip straight to Jol.... Jol put Carrick straight in the team as soon as he took over from Santini and results (and performances) improved immediately. I didn't see anything before Jol that suggested we were going to be any better under Santini than we were prior to him joining. I do agree that Arnesen was pivotal in us improving however - he seemed to be able to identify and bring in reasonably cheap players who had an immediate impact.

Fair point. Santini for me is the starting point because I was like woah - Spurs can get the national team manager of France to come in. That was ambition.

My son just reminded me that when he had his stag in Barcelona he saw them lose to Espanyol and Poch was the manager, never thought of it until he heard in on radio today.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but a good read from a German web site on the way we play from February this year:

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/02/19/tottenham-positional-play-and-pressing-analysis/

Interesting that they reference Leverkusen so much in their analysis, with our group games coming up. Also thought this line was also interesting, "Spurs’ pressing is ... far ahead of any pressing scheme the Premier League has possibly ever seen."

Not sure if this has been posted before, but a good read from a German web site on the way we play from February this year:

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/02/19/tottenham-positional-play-and-pressing-analysis/

Interesting that they reference Leverkusen so much in their analysis, with our group games coming up. Also thought this line was also interesting, "Spurs’ pressing is ... far ahead of any pressing scheme the Premier League has possibly ever seen."

Good read.

Back