• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Yes Walker went off just minutes before the pen, so for once Poch has to shoulder the blame for leaving us so exposed at the back. It was an all-or-nothing gamble, a desperate last throw of the dice that came disastrously unstuck but given how desperate we were for the equaliser it was maybe forgiveable in the circumstances.
We had 20 minutes to score one goal against a brick side on the ropes... it wasn't a desperate situation at that point.

Good post mate (and I will read the article a little later on). To answer your last question about why it went so wrong at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, I would say that initially (the first half) we played with no intensity at all. In the second half we upped our intensity and got a goal back, at that point I was confident that we would at least equalise and possibly even go on to win it, but the sending off changed things. We seemed to immediately go to gung-ho, instead of realising we had 20 minutes left to get our goal. We lost all of the shape and defensive discipline that had served us so well all season. The players were simply just too eager to get back into the game instead of showing the right patience and carrying on doing the right things. Something that is reasonably easily solved by the manager and the collective group.

You might well be right, and it might well just be a mental issue brought about by impatience and inexperience as opposed to a collective tactical failure. Either way, though, I hope we never see it again.

Walker came off because injured, but he still could have been replaced by another back (Rose and Wimmer were on the bench) rather than an attacking midfielder. Obviously Poch was chasing another goal at that point.

No, my memory is poor but I'm pretty sure Toby was marauding down the right wing, leaving Verts vs Sissoko... that structural indiscipline came first, not the dive didn't it? We jumped straight into their pockets.

The way I saw it. Walker came off, replaced by Chadli. Dier moved to centre back, Toby to right back, and his marauding runs down the right is not structural indiscipline, it's what a right back is supposed to do.

We had enough players back to deal with their counter attack, though of course some danger will happen in a situation like that. Sissoko was boxed in and about to lose possession when he dived and got the penalty.

The way I saw it. Walker came off, replaced by Chadli. Dier moved to centre back, Toby to right back, and his marauding runs down the right is not structural indiscipline, it's what a right back is supposed to do.

We had enough players back to deal with their counter attack, though of course some danger will happen in a situation like that. Sissoko was boxed in and about to lose possession when he dived and got the penalty.
Rubbish. If we had enough players back to deal with their counter attacks how come we lost 1-5? Okay the pen was outrageous but even without that it could still have been 7 or 8, they missed a hatful of easy chances because we were so incredibly exposed at the back. Our tactics were all wrong because we hadn't noticed that, far from being a relegated rabble, Benitez had got his side brilliantly drilled and motivated for both defence and counter attack.They preyed ruthlessly on our desperation to go forward and get a goal back and perforce, Pochettino played right into their hands.

Rubbish. If we had enough players back to deal with their counter attacks how come we lost 1-5? Okay the pen was outrageous but even without that it could still have been 7 or 8, they missed a hatful of easy chances because we were so incredibly exposed at the back. Our tactics were all wrong because we hadn't noticed that, far from being a relegated rabble, Benitez had got his side brilliantly drilled and motivated for both defence and counter attack.They preyed ruthlessly on our desperation to go forward and get a goal back and perforce, Pochettino played right into their hands.

Either you didn't read both of my posts or I haven't been particularly clear.

Yes, after the 3-1 goal we conceded a hatful of chances and lost our shape. We went gung-ho and were fairly punished for it. For me though, at 3-1 down with 20 minutes to go I think some excuses can be made for Pochettino and the players.

My point, which I thought was fairly clear, is that we didn't loose our shape or lack discipline up until that 3-1 goal. Up until then we looked in control and for the penalty for the 3-1 goal we had enough players back. To be explicitly clear that's not me saying that we had enough players back after the 3-1 goal. We had enough players back for the counter that ended up as a penalty.

At 2-1 we looked good. Most or all of the second half up until the 3-1 goal we looked good. After the 3-1 goal we weren't good at all, but it was a difficult situation. One we put ourselves in by not being good enough in the first half mind.

Either you didn't read both of my posts or I haven't been particularly clear.

Yes, after the 3-1 goal we conceded a hatful of chances and lost our shape. We went gung-ho and were fairly punished for it. For me though, at 3-1 down with 20 minutes to go I think some excuses can be made for Pochettino and the players.

My point, which I thought was fairly clear, is that we didn't loose our shape or lack discipline up until that 3-1 goal. Up until then we looked in control and for the penalty for the 3-1 goal we had enough players back. To be explicitly clear that's not me saying that we had enough players back after the 3-1 goal. We had enough players back for the counter that ended up as a penalty.

At 2-1 we looked good. Most or all of the second half up until the 3-1 goal we looked good. After the 3-1 goal we weren't good at all, but it was a difficult situation. One we put ourselves in by not being good enough in the first half mind.
I don't see anything in the post I quoted of yours that adds up to what you are claiming you said but hey ho, a good response otherwise.

...until that 3-1 goal. Up until then we looked in control and for the penalty for the 3-1 goal we had enough players back.
Thanks for explaining. I see what you mean on paper but Verts dived in on half way as he was scared of Sissokos pace without Toby around and I remember Eriksen putting on the afterburners to be the guy to get back, not Dier so I don't think we had the right players in the right places.

Also Walker just made a trademark burst into their box and wasn't struggling as far as I could see. As it was the last game I would have left him on to run it off, it was a contact injury not a strain. Maybe Poch grew frustrated by Walker's "delivery"!

Thanks for explaining. I see what you mean on paper but Verts dived in on half way as he was scared of Sissokos pace without Toby around and I remember Eriksen putting on the afterburners to be the guy to get back, not Dier so I don't think we had the right players in the right places.

Also Walker just made a trademark burst into their box and wasn't struggling as far as I could see. As it was the last game I would have left him on to run it off, it was a contact injury not a strain. Maybe Poch grew frustrated by Walker's "delivery"!

Wasn't Eriksen moved into central/deep midfield with Dier at centre back next to Vertonghen with the sub? Means him afterburning it to get back to stop a counter attack is part of his job.

I trust Pochettino to have made a good decision with the sub with more information than we have available and find speculations to the contrary kind of... meh.

We seemed to struggle against 10 men quite a bit from what I remember.

Other than the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game we of course had Arsenal which any side should be able to see out in relative comfort and Watford where we came out with a win but didn't half make it difficult for ourselves.

Of the top of my head I can't think of any others but there may be more.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has said everyone was against his team in their Premier League title challenge against Leicester City this season.

Spurs were in contention for a maiden Premier League crown until their 36th game, when a 2-2 draw at Chelsea confirmed the Foxes as the unlikeliest champions in the competition's history.

The level of public goodwill towards Leicester -- managed by likeable Italian Claudio Ranieri and with heavy odds against them at the beginning of the season -- was unprecedented, while a number of Premier League figures including West Brom's Tony Pulis, Stoke City boss Mark Hughes and Chelsea pair Eden Hazard and Cesc Fabregas openly declared their support for Leicester.

Pochettino, who has the youngest squad in the Premier League, says he struggles to understand why Spurs were cast as the villains of the piece.

"I have to admit that it was an added stress. Everyone was against us," the Argentine told Ocio News.

"The second placed team in the table were the team to beat, that is the first time in history that has happened. It was difficult to understand. I still do not understand it now. Everybody was too nice to Leicester -- we were the bad guys who wanted to ruin the fairytale story of Cinderella."

Pochettino says his Spurs squad will learn from the campaign but paid credit to Leicester and Ranieri, declaring them worthy winners.

"I believe we were brave and took risks. A team is a reflection of their coaching staff and carries their character. That is something I learned many years ago from Marcelo Bielsa.

"We are the youngest team in the Premier League. This experience will be good for us. To play well is not easy, we slipped up.

"We were not able to compete in those moments of the season which are key to be champions," he added.

"Leicester competed better. They had a different philosophy than ours, but just as valid. I congratulate them. After 38 games the best team always wins.

"This season is proof that in England, in the Premier League, anything can happen. It is the most competitive league.

"Claudio has that entertaining 'Latin' thing. He jokes around. I took it well when he said 'Keep calm Pochettino.'"

The arrivals of Pep Guardiola at Emirates Marketing Project and Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, as well as Antonio Conte at Chelsea, means the Premier League promises to be even more competitive next season.

Pochettino is excited by the increased competition and has no problem with the spotlight being on Manchester.

"They will have a problem as the city is small and they are sure to meet!," he joked.

"They are two great managers and to compete against them will be good. Also two big teams, United and City, but also there is Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, Tottenham.

"Next season should be exciting in England. But it is normal that, for their history and trophies won, Mourinho and Guardiola eclipse everyone else."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...or-preseason-its-very-important-a3272966.html

Tottenham transfer news: Mauricio Pochettino wants settled squad for pre-season - 'it's very important'

"Now we are in the middle of the summer and it's very important to start the pre-season with all clear, with our squad and the players focused on the start of the season," he told the club's official website.

"It's always important to do well and be ready to compete. It's always important to start good," he added.

I don't know what thread to put this in, but my 10 year old son (who FINALLY came around to supporting Spurs despite my addiction and despite being a mascot when we played Seattle a couple of years ago) asked me a question the other day.

Son: Dad, who's the best team from South London?

Me: It'll have to be Crystal Palace

Son: Not Arsenal?

Classic. One more young one infected by the Love for Lillywhites.

Back