• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I agree everything is a learning process and ALL the best teams have to do that all the time. Fergie never took his eye off doing that and I expect Poch who has now seen how mentally weak some of the players are will do the same. His after match interview was spot on, its not tiredness more a mental weakness in some of the players and he strikes me as not a manager who will suffer players who do not have that in their make up. The one thing he has to sort is getting a leader in the centre of the pitch who will rattle a few cages ( of his own players) we lack that and having a captain as goal keeper is not doing the job.

Agree with every word mate, 100%.

I h
Fair question but don't agree. Otherwise, at which points specifically did we run out of puff? We went to Stoke, played them off the park and looked like by far the best team in the country at that point. We then have a weeks break and look good if not clinical against West Brom. But as soon as WBA score, we lose our heads. At Chelsea, we look really good and go two up but lose our heads when they score. Against Southampton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine we don't have the same intensity but I agree with Poch, it's mental.

A small part of me can sympathise with the current group of players, in that they've run hard all season but Leicester just did not give them one tiny slip to capitalise on, and they haven't got their rewards. Hence them letting out their frustration at Chelsea. So yeah, to a very small extent, understandable. But as Poch says, to be real winners means retaining focus and getting the job done. The players let themselves down, badly.

I think every failure or mistake that the club has made over the last decade has gotten us to this point, it's been a slog but every time we do learn from it. We needed someone tactically better than Jol, and went for Ramos. We then needed someone more suited to England than him and got Harry. We then needed someone better tactically and that would improve players, going for AVB. He was almost a great hire but for the fact he didn't utilise the youth academy. So we get Poch, who knows the league, is strong tactically, has a system and a strategy, will use the youth, and has seen us primed for good things. Every failure, lasagne, the Fulop horror show, the Harry flirting with England collapse, Chelsea winning the CL, all lead us to improve upon what we had and got us to this point.

And I hope this experience represents another failure that we sincerely learn from. There are still bad characters in the squad we need to get out. There are a few too many nice boys that are happy if we seem to be doing slightly above expectations, as opposed to wanting to win at all costs. We need more Diers. Bentaleb was reportedly a winner when he wasn't injured. There's a chance Vertonghen and Eriksen, despite being some of the most talented players around in their positions, lack the mentalities to be true winners and that is why they are here rather than a club that's traditionally been higher.

I love how Poch said 'this gives me good information for the summer' in a very cool, calm, collected manner. The bad eggs will be out and Levy won't be keeping them around. He could see the rot setting in over the last few weeks hence the talk of mentality. I think Rose, Dier, Alli, Dembele, Lamela and Kane can hold their heads high and say they acted like champions. I think guys like Davies, Trippier and Wimmer were a credit to the team and filled their roles admirably when called upon. They knew their roles, they were happy to fight for their places and importantly, were ready when called upon. I think guys like Verts, sadly Toby, Walker and Eriksen didn't demonstrate the winners mentality when it was needed the most. Guys like Mason and Carroll didn't step up when given the chance and we may have outgrown them, while Son could have been better (but injuries, settling in etc means he deserves another chance).

Verts could be a shock exit I reckon, a real wake up call to the squad. Wouldn't be surprised to see Eriksen let go either while Walker and Toby need to show they can keep their heads when the pressure is on (maybe we're seeing why Atletico let Toby go...).

Hopefully we learn from this and improve yet again. Happily I think we've got the guy to make it happen. I agree with Steff, he thinks long term for the clubs benefit and not short term for his own. He'd rather let the players hang themselves and do themselves out of a place even if it means painful and embarrassing results in the short term. Credit to the man.

I hope we don,t lose Erikson!
He's part of the jigsaw that got us where we are this Season...for ghodsake!!!!

I think it's VERY harsh that Eriksen is being held up as one of the reasons we didn't make 2nd. After Ozil he got the most assists in the PL. A VERY good return alongside 6 PL goals.
He ran his socks off too. He is a forward/creative player and i can see him being one of the first who gets fed-up of the harsh training regime: why do all this running when i could train less hard in a team that is more likely to be successful, perhaps even more fun! He was quoted as saying he's never more physically drained in his career as he was in his first year under Poch..
We have to beware that Poch can point to the improvement in the team/clubs fortunes as to why the team should keep putting their bodies through it....that is delicate, because the moment it doesn't look worth it (i.e. there is nothing else beyond the hard-running/double-training) then many will start to not buy in and a slide starts..

We NEED Eriksen right now as he alongside Lamela is our main creative spark going forwards. By all means buy another player to rotate/compete with him (if Pritchard can do this then great), but we lose him at our peril!

This was apparently in The Times yesterday (Tuesday) :
Mauricio Pochettino is unhappy with what he perceives to have been a lack of support from Tottenham Hotspur’s hierarchy over the suspensions to Dele Alli and Mousa Dembélé that contributed towards his side slumping to finish third in the Barclays Premier League.

The Argentinian has a good relationship with Daniel Levy, the chairman, having signed a new five-year contract at White Hart Lane last week, but feels that the club could have given him more backing in challenging the FA charges that caused him to miss two key players at the end of the season.

Tottenham took just two points from their last four games of the campaign, with Alli missing the final three through suspension after being found guilty of violent conduct for punching Claudio Yacob in the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion. Pochettino wanted Tottenham to contest that charge but was overruled and has subsequently complained privately about being the only figure at the club to publicly defend Alli.

Tottenham were unable to appeal against Dembélé’s six-match ban for his clash with Diego Costa in the 2-2 draw against Chelsea, but Pochettino was unhappy at being the only person at the club to condemn the length of the suspension. Pochettino’s complaints echo those of other foreign managers in the Premier League who are used to clubs in other countries going to war with the authorities on their behalf, with José Mourinho frequently complaining about a lack of support at Chelsea.

“For me, it’s not fair,” Pochettino said of Dembélé’s ban. “But they are the rules. Sometimes the rules give out a different message to the people.”

I wonder (if it's true, which I could imagine it might be) if that would go some way to explain Poch's demeanour at the last couple of games? He certainly hasn't seemed like his usual self. If it is I find it a bit worrying that he would react in that way.
I've never particularly liked the way the likes of Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger etc. would always moan and challenge the authorities, but I think you do need to do that sometimes - at least pick your battles.
Perhaps given the negotiations going on with the FA over use of Wembley it was deemed impolitic to kick up too much of a fuss?
I think this aspect of game-playing is something we need to hone up on.

This was apparently in The Times yesterday (Tuesday) :
Mauricio Pochettino is unhappy with what he perceives to have been a lack of support from Tottenham Hotspur’s hierarchy over the suspensions to Dele Alli and Mousa Dembélé that contributed towards his side slumping to finish third in the Barclays Premier League.

The Argentinian has a good relationship with Daniel Levy, the chairman, having signed a new five-year contract at White Hart Lane last week, but feels that the club could have given him more backing in challenging the FA charges that caused him to miss two key players at the end of the season.

Tottenham took just two points from their last four games of the campaign, with Alli missing the final three through suspension after being found guilty of violent conduct for punching Claudio Yacob in the 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion. Pochettino wanted Tottenham to contest that charge but was overruled and has subsequently complained privately about being the only figure at the club to publicly defend Alli.

Tottenham were unable to appeal against Dembélé’s six-match ban for his clash with Diego Costa in the 2-2 draw against Chelsea, but Pochettino was unhappy at being the only person at the club to condemn the length of the suspension. Pochettino’s complaints echo those of other foreign managers in the Premier League who are used to clubs in other countries going to war with the authorities on their behalf, with José Mourinho frequently complaining about a lack of support at Chelsea.

“For me, it’s not fair,” Pochettino said of Dembélé’s ban. “But they are the rules. Sometimes the rules give out a different message to the people.”

I wonder (if it's true, which I could imagine it might be) if that would go some way to explain Poch's demeanour at the last couple of games? He certainly hasn't seemed like his usual self. If it is I find it a bit worrying that he would react in that way.
I've never particularly liked the way the likes of Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger etc. would always moan and challenge the authorities, but I think you do need to do that sometimes - at least pick your battles.
Perhaps given the negotiations going on with the FA over use of Wembley it was deemed impolitic to kick up too much of a fuss?
I think this aspect of game-playing is something we need to hone up on.

F-sake! I really REALLY hope this is not true...because if it is we have got big BIG problems in more ways than one!

because he was the only one or because that was his thought process?

Because
A: He's seemingly blaming not having Alli and Dembele for not getting a SINGLE POINT vs Soton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine; it RALLY shouldn't have mattered that much in terms of finishing 2nd
B: He let the disappointment that he wasn't "backed more by the hierarchy" when he went to defend both players affect him enough to seemingly reduce how much effort he put into directing the team from the sidelines
C: disappointed enough to allow this 'leak' out: feels very immature esp when he's signed a new deal....a bit AVB-like in fact if i'm being honest (and i loved AVB but he was a bit immature in some ways)

This is, assuming that the article is even true...

Because
A: He's seemingly blaming not having Alli and Dembele for not getting a SINGLE POINT vs Soton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine; it RALLY shouldn't have mattered that much in terms of finishing 2nd
B: He let the disappointment that he wasn't "backed more by the hierarchy" when he went to defend both players affect him enough to seemingly reduce how much effort he put into directing the team from the sidelines
C: disappointed enough to allow this 'leak' out: feels very immature esp when he's signed a new deal....a bit AVB-like in fact if i'm being honest (and i loved AVB but he was a bit immature in some ways)

righto

generally agree

also assuming its true, he shouldn't be doing this in public, and the club should be fighting absolutely everything, you defend your guys publicly every time, even (especially) when you know they were in the wrong

Some thoughts mate...

Because

Don't lose faith in MP's vision now my friend. He sees all.

Sorry, but that is just absolutely, 100% untrue. I think it's an extraordinary conjecture to reach.

The strong managers do what they need to do. He is far, far away from AVB. But remember who he is dealing with. Everyone needs to be kept on their toes.

As the article points out though, even Chelsea don't appeal that often, and that's despite having c*nts like Mourinho in charge who send eleven men haring after the ref on the slimmest of pretexts and contest even throw-ins as if they were death sentences.

It's less to do with the club not supporting the manager than it is with just making sure the club, the Prem and the FA stay on relatively cordial terms, since the c*nts behind the scenes can get up to all sorts of underhanded sh*te to punish clubs like ours....as Lasagnagate proves. Plus, we're looking to rent Wembley for a couple of seasons, it wouldn't exactly set the best precedent to go screaming bloody murder at the FA while that process is ongoing. I understand if Poch thinks we should adopt a Ferguson approach when it comes to intimidating the refs, the FA and the Prem into having things our way, and appeal everything viciously just to set a precedent of 100% backing for the players in these instances. But equally (if the article is true, and that's a big if) I hope Poch understands that we're not in the same position as United were when they went with that approach. Don't get me wrong, I *want* us to rooster a snook at the FA extremely badly - but we need to build leverage before we can start doing that.

Come on , Poch does not strike me as the type to air his dirty laundry in public. He has too much class to do that.

I agree with Poch, you want your team to run through walls for you then you need to back them.
Wembley is a short term deal and not the only option. This team is long term and should be the priority.
Don't get me wrong, not saying alli and dembelle don't deserve criticism from the club , but behind closed door. the length of dembelles ban is scandalous and we really should have made more of that.

Reactions: DTA
I agree with Poch, you want your team to run through walls for you then you need to back them.
Wembley is a short term deal and not the only option. This team is long term and should be the priority.
Don't get me wrong, not saying alli and dembelle don't deserve criticism from the club , but behind closed door. the length of dembelles ban is scandalous and we really should have made more of that.
Totally agree, can't believe we didn't get the lawyers involved and really tear into the FA on this one.
Imo the same with Ali's, it was nothing really!

I think we're reading too much into this. There is no direct quote from Poch saying he's upset with the club hierarchy. He just said he's upset with the length of the bans. That's not airing dirty laundry.

I think we're reading too much into this. There is no direct quote from Poch saying he's upset with the club hierarchy. He just said he's upset with the length of the bans. That's not airing dirty laundry.
On top of which the article states the unsourced complaints were made privately. Hardly airing dirty linen in public then.

I think Poch should better spend his time and energy drilling into the players not to behave like Alli and Dembele did. They were idiots, with all the cameras around they should have known better than to aim punches and stick their hands in the faces of opponents.

Sort it Poch

I think Poch should better spend his time and energy drilling into the players not to behave like Alli and Dembele did. They were idiots, with all the cameras around they should have known better than to aim punches and stick their hands in the faces of opponents.

Sort it Poch
They were, and there is no argument that it really hurt us in the end, but to be totally fair you need to add Dier, Lamela and maybe even Walker to that list. They just happened to get away with it whereas Alli and Dembele did not.

Back