• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

They were, and there is no argument that it really hurt us in the end, but to be totally fair you need to add Dier, Lamela and maybe even Walker to that list. They just happened to get away with it whereas Alli and Dembele did not.

I think Poch should better spend his time and energy drilling into the players not to behave like Alli and Dembele did. They were idiots, with all the cameras around they should have known better than to aim punches and stick their hands in the faces of opponents.

Sort it Poch

Agree with you both.

They were, and there is no argument that it really hurt us in the end, but to be totally fair you need to add Dier, Lamela and maybe even Walker to that list. They just happened to get away with it whereas Alli and Dembele did not.

And Danny Rose..

Losing Alli and Dembele for the last two games was a blow for sure; but is it enough of a reason/excuse to not pick up a single point vs Soton at home and Saudi Sportswashing Machine away?

Losing Alli and Dembele for the last two games was a blow for sure; but is it enough of a reason/excuse to not pick up a single point vs Soton at home and Saudi Sportswashing Machine away?
Of course no excuse. For example look at Leicester, they lost vital Vardy for two games so Ranieri had to come up with tactics to cope without him. Ulloa is nowhere near similar to Vardy but he came in and was effective because Ranieri adjusted the team and tactics to get the best out him. Leicester got 4 points from Swansea and Man Utd.

Getting this thread back to our manager...where is he? On hols? He has been completely absent from the OS for ages (hasn't he?). Wondered if he has taken a well earned break or is at the training ground or what? He was certainly feeling the pressure in the last few games....

Somebody lock him in the black box with DVDs of this season and don't let him out until pre season.

Getting this thread back to our manager...where is he? On hols? He has been completely absent from the OS for ages (hasn't he?). Wondered if he has taken a well earned break or is at the training ground or what? He was certainly feeling the pressure in the last few games....
Poch Watch : last seen a few days ago fraternising at SCBC (Kelvin Davis testimonial).
Maybe he had the chance to whisper a few words of encouragement in Wanyama's ear.

http://analysport.fr/tottenham-en/

The article above is just a fantastic piece about our tactics under Poch. I won't actually transcribe it here, because I want that site to get as many clicks as possible for putting together such a detailed breakdown of what we do and how we do it, complete with countless in-play videos illustrating what's being discussed and also coherent analyses of where we go wrong.

Personally, I can't fault the conclusions of the article at all. I'd previously wondered why we were being linked with so many attacking midfielders in a summer where a striker and a DM backup seemed to be the greater priority, but looking at what the attacking midfield trio do as per that article ,and where they tend to fall short, I can see the need for one whose first touch allows him to turn quicker or control the ball faster in situations where the horizontal line behind Kane seeks to orient itself towards the opposition goal in short order. I can also see why we need ball-playing defenders like Toby given our seeming reliance on that method as one of the chief aspects of our playing style, and links with players Poch has worked with previously (at Soton, mainly) make more sense now given how much his players are evidently expected to do in terms of maintaining tactical awareness and discipline. In particular, given the quotes from Schneiderlin about how Poch makes him play that are interspersed throughout the article, it saddens me even more that our attempt to get him was so transparently farcical back in 2014. Ah, well.

My main concerns would be that firstly, the article points out a seemingly persistent problem with our tactical approach in terms of forwards that drop deep to conduct play effectively 'breaking' our defensive setup due to offering passing lanes that can't be covered by the players defending, and secondly, that the article itself doesn't really pinpoint how the game at Saudi Sportswashing Machine went so horribly, horribly wrong.

http://analysport.fr/tottenham-en/

The article above is just a fantastic piece about our tactics under Poch. I won't actually transcribe it here, because I want that site to get as many clicks as possible for putting together such a detailed breakdown of what we do and how we do it, complete with countless in-play videos illustrating what's being discussed and also coherent analyses of where we go wrong.

Personally, I can't fault the conclusions of the article at all. I'd previously wondered why we were being linked with so many attacking midfielders in a summer where a striker and a DM backup seemed to be the greater priority, but looking at what the attacking midfield trio do as per that article ,and where they tend to fall short, I can see the need for one whose first touch allows him to turn quicker or control the ball faster in situations where the horizontal line behind Kane seeks to orient itself towards the opposition goal in short order. I can also see why we need ball-playing defenders like Toby given our seeming reliance on that method as one of the chief aspects of our playing style, and links with players Poch has worked with previously (at Soton, mainly) make more sense now given how much his players are evidently expected to do in terms of maintaining tactical awareness and discipline. In particular, given the quotes from Schneiderlin about how Poch makes him play that are interspersed throughout the article, it saddens me even more that our attempt to get him was so transparently farcical back in 2014. Ah, well.

My main concerns would be that firstly, the article points out a seemingly persistent problem with our tactical approach in terms of forwards that drop deep to conduct play effectively 'breaking' our defensive setup due to offering passing lanes that can't be covered by the players defending, and secondly, that the article itself doesn't really pinpoint how the game at Saudi Sportswashing Machine went so horribly, horribly wrong.
Good post mate (and I will read the article a little later on). To answer your last question about why it went so wrong at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, I would say that initially (the first half) we played with no intensity at all. In the second half we upped our intensity and got a goal back, at that point I was confident that we would at least equalise and possibly even go on to win it, but the sending off changed things. We seemed to immediately go to gung-ho, instead of realising we had 20 minutes left to get our goal. We lost all of the shape and defensive discipline that had served us so well all season. The players were simply just too eager to get back into the game instead of showing the right patience and carrying on doing the right things. Something that is reasonably easily solved by the manager and the collective group.

Good post mate (and I will read the article a little later on). To answer your last question about why it went so wrong at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, I would say that initially (the first half) we played with no intensity at all. In the second half we upped our intensity and got a goal back, at that point I was confident that we would at least equalise and possibly even go on to win it, but the sending off changed things. We seemed to immediately go to gung-ho, instead of realising we had 20 minutes left to get our goal. We lost all of the shape and defensive discipline that had served us so well all season. The players were simply just too eager to get back into the game instead of showing the right patience and carrying on doing the right things. Something that is reasonably easily solved by the manager and the collective group.

First thing that happened was the dive and penalty to make it 3-1. Then we lost our shape and discipline. But with two goals to make up in 20 minutes it's kind of understandable.

This for me as well, And imo it all started with the Chelski game when we completely lost the plot. Under Poch all season we have shown patience and the discipline to believe/know that sooner or later our game would enable us to get a result. What we did in the Chelski game was we lost everything in terms of controlling what we do and lost our heads and we never got our structure back in the remaining games.

I was amazed how many of our fans applauded what we did in the Chelski game, I said at the time that there is nothing wrong with showing aggression but it has to be controlled ( and it was anything but that) and in that moment we lost not only our chance of finishing in the top two but our structure and composure. I hope that Poch has tore a strip off the players and they have learnt that IF we are to progress we have to be in control of not only the game but their emotions as well.

@DubaiSpur I read the article - it is very interesting. Thanks for posting. I found it interesting that our defensive compactness is also dependent on how comfortable the CB feels as well. It would explain why the best tactic by teams facing Spurs would be to employ a target man.

First thing that happened was the dive and penalty to make it 3-1. Then we lost our shape and discipline. But with two goals to make up in 20 minutes it's kind of understandable.
No, my memory is poor but I'm pretty sure Toby was marauding down the right wing, leaving Verts vs Sissoko... that structural indiscipline came first, not the dive didn't it? We jumped straight into their pockets.

No, my memory is poor but I'm pretty sure Toby was marauding down the right wing, leaving Verts vs Sissoko... that structural indiscipline came first, not the dive didn't it? We jumped straight into their pockets.

That, and I think Walker might have been off by that point. So along with Rose missing, that meant we had no pace at the back, and Saudi Sportswashing Machine just hit us with fast counter attacks with Townsend and Sissoko, as we pushed up the field with a slow and mis-shapen defence.

That, and I think Walker might have been off by that point. So along with Rose missing, that meant we had no pace at the back, and Saudi Sportswashing Machine just hit us with fast counter attacks with Townsend and Sissoko, as we pushed up the field with a slow and mis-shapen defence.
Yes Walker went off just minutes before the pen, so for once Poch has to shoulder the blame for leaving us so exposed at the back. It was an all-or-nothing gamble, a desperate last throw of the dice that came disastrously unstuck but given how desperate we were for the equaliser it was maybe forgiveable in the circumstances.

Back