• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

You start pressing at the center of the pitch.
Ah I see.
It's the reason why I preferred klopp when we were looking to replace Sherwood.

Dortmund always look more calculated, deliberate. Soton and now us look like schoolboys chasing the ball down to every corner of the pitch. Sometimes leaving us too stretched and vulnerable to counter attacks.

Ah I see.
It's the reason why I preferred klopp when we were looking to replace Sherwood.

Dortmund always look more calculated, deliberate. Soton and now us look like schoolboys chasing the ball down to every corner of the pitch. Sometimes leaving us too stretched and vulnerable to counter attacks.

The idea is that if we can force mistakes high up there's more chance of creating something. The lower you start your press, the more settled the opposition team will be when you break.

It's a good sign of how disciplined a team is whether they stick to pressing in the same area or come out and start chasing the ball, which is obviously what we want them to do when we start passing sideways in our backline.

The idea is that if we can force mistakes high up there's more chance of creating something. The lower you start your press, the more settled the opposition team will be when you break.

It's a good sign of how disciplined a team is whether they stick to pressing in the same area or come out and start chasing the ball, which is obviously what we want them to do when we start passing sideways in our backline.

I absolutely agree with this. What I would say is that I like the directness of Liverpool's play today. When they had the ball they just quickly got forward which is what I want to see us doing. In the first half I felt we we tinkling about at the back and I think some work needs to happen between the central 2 (Dembele and Alli) and the forward 3 (Chadli/N'Jie, Eriksen and Lamela) for when things get a little congested. At least one of the forward 3 needs to come back and help out in creating triangles to get us out of an opposition press. Our players are actually quite skilful to do this, but I felt the forward 3 let the central areas get overrun too many times today.

I do prefer our press than the medium press, but Liverpool were very good today. I was actually amazed at how quickly they seem to have adapted to Klopp's methods. It took our boys quite a bit of time to get used to it!

I absolutely agree with this. What I would say is that I like the directness of Liverpool's play today. When they had the ball they just quickly got forward which is what I want to see us doing. In the first half I felt we we tinkleing about at the back and I think some work needs to happen between the central 2 (Dembele and Alli) and the forward 3 (Chadli/N'Jie, Eriksen and Lamela) for when things get a little congested. At least one of the forward 3 needs to come back and help out in creating triangles to get us out of an opposition press. Our players are actually quite skilful to do this, but I felt the forward 3 let the central areas get overrun too many times today.

I do prefer our press than the medium press, but Liverpool were very good today. I was actually amazed at how quickly they seem to have adapted to Klopp's methods. It took our boys quite a bit of time to get used to it!

We played Poch's style quick quickly in the first preseason games (within a very short time of him taking over)

Doing it consistently (in game and game to game) is completely different.

What Klopp seemed to do was focus on upping the energy, and keeping defensively focused. They actually were not much of a real threat once we rode out the rush of first 20 minutes. Us on a clinical day would have killed them on the counter ...

Personally I have always preferred playing in a team with a medium press as you have space behind defenders to run in to.

Conversely I would love the high press team to come at us , so easy to lure 4 players upfield, then bypass them for superior numbers in attack.

It's also got to do with players physique and condition, but the high press stretched game suffers from more mistakes IMO, more than a medium press game.

We played Poch's style quick quickly in the first preseason games (within a very short time of him taking over)

What Klopp seemed to do was focus on upping the energy, and keeping defensively focused. They actually were not much of a real threat once we rode out the rush of first 20 minutes. Us on a clinical day would have killed them on the counter ...

And even though they have not been trained or properly conditioned they nanaged to outplay us in their first game and olfor a decent amount of time.

I do agree that doing this week in and week out is totally different and I will bet their players are going to be sore for most of he week, and other teams will benefit from it.

What strikes me though is that throughout the game, Liverpool passed with more pace than us, and looked comfortable even technically capable. Downtown training methods and this is an area where I am not convinced about Poch - I recall the bale/modric/vdv years where we passed with more pace and intent.

And even though they have not been trained or properly conditioned they nanaged to outplay us in their first game and olfor a decent amount of time.

I do agree that doing this week in and week out is totally different and I will bet their players are going to be sore for most of he week, and other teams will benefit from it.

What strikes me though is that throughout the game, Liverpool passed with more pace than us, and looked comfortable even technically capable. Downtown training methods and this is an area where I am not convinced about Poch - I recall the bale/modric/vdv years where we passed with more pace and intent.
It's about controlling the game.

I'm not going to say that you don't remember correctly, but it's easy to look at the past with rose tinted glasses. We had oh so many frustrating games under Harry with those guys as well. Games where we'd be playing a parked bus or a team that would come at our throats like Liverpool did yesterday, and we'd usually struggle to move the ball quickly enough and create chances in both scenarios.

I'm not going to say that you don't remember correctly, but it's easy to look at the past with rose tinted glasses. We had oh so many frustrating games under Harry with those guys as well. Games where we'd be playing a parked bus or a team that would come at our throats like Liverpool did yesterday, and we'd usually struggle to move the ball quickly enough and create chances in both scenarios.

Two years we qualified for champions league...I remember getting excited with many games, and more than I have been under poch (beating Emirates Marketing Project aside).

It's more controlled these days as one put it. Not as swashbuckling and also not as reckless too. So tradeoffs I guess....

However going back to the Liverpool game I thought they passed faster and more effectively through the entire game. It's probably a legacy of Brendan Rogers training, but its still an important improvement area for us.

yeah but if they had a half decent striker and not a donkey up front then they would also have been much more threatening.

Two years we qualified for champions league...I remember getting excited with many games, and more than I have been under poch (beating Emirates Marketing Project aside).

It's more controlled these days as one put it. Not as swashbuckling and also not as reckless too. So tradeoffs I guess....

However going back to the Liverpool game I thought they passed faster and more effectively through the entire game. It's probably a legacy of Brendan Rogers training, but its still an important improvement area for us.

this

Tottenham’s striker Harry Kane has spoken of the dynamism that Pochettino has instilled in Spurs, saying this week that statistics prove Tottenham have outrun all other Premier League teams this season. “It is a good stat but football is about winning the games, not only running,” Pochettino said. “It is true our style is press and run, solidarity, being a unit. But we need to score and we need to be better with the ball than the opponent. We have a good balance between running and having possession.”

we used to be the team that would push and run, pass and move.

I think this is the crux of the comparison. (EDIT: Tradeoffs)

Poch does not have any players of the quality of Bale or Modric at his disposal. Put those two players in this side and we would have a far greater chance of making the top four.

Sorry Steff but I think that you are misunderstanding the point I am making. The Mirror story says that Poch sidelined Fazio to make a point to Levy. I am saying that is cobblers. Fazio clearly wasn't Poch's first choice CB in the summer of 2014 but he used him on and off throughout the season. This summer, he understandably, sought an upgrade and it is now clear that Fazio does not have a long term future at the club. This is not what the Mirror is saying.

I got you mate, and probably should've been clearer about that. I framed my point in the wrong context so-to-speak.
In short, I know we're in agreement that the Mirror is talking cobblers (our defensive record this season proves that!)...my other (more general) points were just that, and I suspect we'd agree on those too/hold the same views. Apologies for the lack of clarity in my answer mate.

First off, we had no Dier, Mason or Bentaleb, all of whom would likely get in ahead of Dembele right no exactly because of your above point. Dumbbell had a good game, but it was a Dembele game, which means that he kept possession well but was slower because that is how he plays! Don't forget the importance of Son to our faster performances too, much more speed when he plays. As for Bale/Modric/VdV years, you are talking about two world class players and one excellent player. They don't come easily as we both know, so maybe a harsh comparison?

Poch does not have any players of the quality of Bale or Modric at his disposal. Put those two players in this side and we would have a far greater chance of making the top four.

Put those players in, with this defensive have, and we would be top of the league.

Good point. I agree with your point about doing this consistently. I appreciate that it was very easy to get the Liverpool team pumped for the first game as they're playing for their futures, so it will be interesting to see what happens over the Xmas period. It was a real scrappy game and I have to say if this is what it will be like with two teams adopting an agressive press (forget medium or high!) then I think there will be a lot more of these to come. That's why I think it is important to have options such as Dembele who are comfortable in posession despite being rushed by numerous players.

Back