• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Everyone is writing off Yoonited, but their results suggest otherwise and they have plenty of star quality to make a run for it. What am I missing here?

Will be very annoyed and hate it if we don't beat ManU at home later in the season. By beating ManCity last week, we have directly helped ManU go top of the league and give them confidence they can stay there.

Will be very annoyed and hate it if we don't beat ManU at home later in the season. By beating ManCity last week, we have directly helped ManU go top of the league and give them confidence they can stay there.

Were you banking on them to beat scum today cos it was never gonna happen for me.

Agree I'll be ultra tinkled off if we don't beat them too.

Barcelona had exceptional running stats band they were nearly short bursts (ill see if I can find the data). It was all because if their closing down tactics and winning the ball as early in the phase of play which is what i think were trying to replicate to a point

The key is to use the effort and work rat to make up for her weaknesses in the team/squad and i think thats key to success

There is no doubt about it, our fitness under Poch has been exceptional and to date we have had better success with injuries (I've jinxed us now) because of that fitness I believe

Barca ran a hell of a lot. There was also an interview where Klopp said someone told him "it's not all about running more than the other team" after they struggled in their first CL season. He went home and thought about it, and decided that actually, yes it is. Or something like that. We all know the kind of work rate Mourinho asks for from his "front 6", and he's had some success...

Not just about using effort and work rate to make up for other weaknesses. But to create a synergetic effect of having a team acting as a unit where everyone has that quality. That in itself becomes a strength that can go a long way.

Everyone is writing off Yoonited, but their results suggest otherwise and they have plenty of star quality to make a run for it. What am I missing here?

For me it's pretty open between City, United and Arsenal. All have shown some good results, but also some clear weaknesses. Early days it looked like City could run away with it, now not so much. I think people are right to point out that United's performances have not been as good as their results. But at the same time LvG is capable of turning their performances around and having those early points will help them.

Wide open at this point anyway.

Barca ran a hell of a lot. There was also an interview where Klopp said someone told him "it's not all about running more than the other team" after they struggled in their first CL season. He went home and thought about it, and decided that actually, yes it is. Or something like that. We all know the kind of work rate Mourinho asks for from his "front 6", and he's had some success...

Not just about using effort and work rate to make up for other weaknesses. But to create a synergetic effect of having a team acting as a unit where everyone has that quality. That in itself becomes a strength that can go a long way.

Agreed. People also forget that one of the main reasons for pressing from the front is that turnover high up the pitch creates a high number of goalscoring opportunities. So it is as much an attacking tactic as a defensive one.

For me it's pretty open between City, United and Ar5ena1. All have shown some good results, but also some clear weaknesses. Early days it looked like City could run away with it, now not so much. I think people are right to point out that United's performances have not been as good as their results. But at the same time LvG is capable of turning their performances around and having those early points will help them.

Wide open at this point anyway.

Its about depth in the squad how teams perform..and we all know the Top money clubs have class players to fill in for injury and to rotate.

It does not help when our best signing gets injured after a few games with no body of equal caliber to replace him!

Agreed. People also forget that one of the main reasons for pressing from the front is that turnover high up the pitch creates a high number of goalscoring opportunities. So it is as much an attacking tactic as a defensive one.

The key with pressing as you say is turnover

It's also why tackling is the least effective form of defence in comparison to intercepting as your immediately on a positive foot. And again your right in that's I actually an offensive weapon if used well

What I loved about the bar a model was that IIRC it as time phrased so that if you didn't in it back in a certain time everyone got behind the ball to defend. Basic but genius in reality

Today we ran more than Swansea, had more possession (not something many teams have against them) and more shots. We just didn't quite edge it but it was again a strong performance overall

It's also why tackling is the least effective form of defence in comparison to intercepting as your immediately on a positive foot. And again your right in that's I actually an offensive weapon if used well

What I loved about the bar a model was that IIRC it as time phrased so that if you didn't in it back in a certain time everyone got behind the ball to defend. Basic but genius in reality

Today we ran more than Swansea, had more possession (not something many teams have against them) and more shots. We just didn't quite edge it but it was again a strong performance overall

The other thing with pressing as a unit high up the pitch is that it forces mistakes. We have definitely been pressing more over the last few games.

I really like how Poch is wanting us to play. I admit that my faith was wobbled a bit but the more I get to see what he is trying to do with the team, the more I like it. We're no longer a soft touch and we fight.

Its about depth in the squad how teams perform..and we all know the Top money clubs have class players to fill in for injury and to rotate.

It does not help when our best signing gets injured after a few games with no body of equal caliber to replace him!

No clubs have players of equal caliber to replace their top players. Look at how much City struggle without Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero. They've spent shedloads on centre backs, midfielders and strikers and haven't found anyone that are even worthy of playing next to those players never mind be of equal caliber to replace them. Same is true for Chelsea, United and Arsenal.

We have real competition or good cover for all our players bar our biggest stars. That's the way it usually is. Right now several players that were more or less first choice last season are either not in the starting 11 or at least will have to fight very hard to keep their place when fit. Fazio, Rose, Bentaleb, Mason and Chadli were all more or less first choice last season when we finished 5th. Right now all 5 could potentially start on the bench (or worse for Fazio) if we had a fully fit squad. In addition we have real cover from Trippier, Wimmer looks good and Clinton is promising.

Against Swansea we were missing Rose, Bentaleb, Mason and Son. Imagine a similar situation last season... Looks terrifying. In addition we have both Chadli and Kane looking somewhat off form and a Thursday EL game to disturb us. Still we go out and were easily the best team on the pitch. Swansea were wasting time at 2-2 at home against us knowing that they were 2nd best. We had more shots, way more shots on target and dominated possession. Away to a good Swansea side. That's not a performance from a team with a real shortage in depth I think.

As far as squad depth is concerned we've taken a huge step in the right direction. Without spending "top money".

This for me as well, all fans love a last ditch tackle but in all honesty the best defenders are those who rarely go to ground and win the ball by being in the best position to intercept. A last ditch tackle is usually ( but not always) because they or someone else has made a mistake in the first place.

Jan Vertonghen praises Mauricio Pochettino's pre-season training regime

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has told Sky Sports that Mauricio Pochettino's decision to keep the squad in London for pre-season was a good one.

The Belgian international, 28, has left White Hart Lane to join up with his national team-mates ahead of games against Andorra and Israel, with a place at Euro 2016 in France on the line.

Spurs will be hoping and praying that Vertonghen returns from international duty unscathed, given that the centre back has found his best form again alongside summer signing and Belgian team-mate Toby Alderweireld.

Their partnership in defence has been a major factor in Spurs' promising start to the season, but many believe that the biggest thing for Pochettino's men has been their fitness.

It was seen last season with a number of late victories, but Spurs' fitness under Pochettino has been superb, with Tottenham rallying in the dying embers of games whilst their opponents wear themselves out.

Now, defender Vertonghen has admitted to Sky Sports that a gruelling pre-season, which focused on staying in London for the majority of the summer, save for trips to the United States and Germany, has been huge in Tottenham's start to the season.

"Yeah, very hard!" said Vertonghen when asked whether Spurs had been training hard. "I think everyone knows we went through a tough pre-season, and a good one. I think it was very important that we stayed in London. I think it was a very good decision by our manager."

"We show that now, every time, if it's in Europe, Capital One Cup or Premier League, we keep fighting until the end, and we see something different in our opponents," he added.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/0...ses-mauricio-pochettinos-pre-season-training/

------------------------------------------------

It is clear all the hard work in training has made us hard to beat. But we really need to learn the art of killing off other teams ! We need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

No clubs have players of equal caliber to replace their top players. Look at how much City struggle without Kompany, Toure, Silva and Aguero. They've spent shedloads on centre backs, midfielders and strikers and haven't found anyone that are even worthy of playing next to those players never mind be of equal caliber to replace them. Same is true for Chel53a, United and Ar5ena1.

We have real competition or good cover for all our players bar our biggest stars. That's the way it usually is. Right now several players that were more or less first choice last season are either not in the starting 11 or at least will have to fight very hard to keep their place when fit. Fazio, Rose, Bentaleb, Mason and Chadli were all more or less first choice last season when we finished 5th. Right now all 5 could potentially start on the bench (or worse for Fazio) if we had a fully fit squad. In addition we have real cover from Trippier, Wimmer looks good and Clinton is promising.

Against Swansea we were missing Rose, Bentaleb, Mason and Son. Imagine a similar situation last season... Looks terrifying. In addition we have both Chadli and Kane looking somewhat off form and a Thursday EL game to disturb us. Still we go out and were easily the best team on the pitch. Swansea were wasting time at 2-2 at home against us knowing that they were 2nd best. We had more shots, way more shots on target and dominated possession. Away to a good Swansea side. That's not a performance from a team with a real shortage in depth I think.

As far as squad depth is concerned we've taken a huge step in the right direction. Without spending "top money".
I agree with much of this Brain. It's a credit to Poch and the implementation of his system. But imo that still does not excuse the people around him failing to bring in striker cover for Kane and defensive midfield cover. Our resilience is about to be tested vs Liverpool when Dier is missing.

From the Telegraph 12-10-15 by Jason Burt

Roy Keane famously recounted a pre-match team talk delivered by Sir Alex Ferguson which read the mindset of the Manchester United players. “I thought I knew what the group might need, that we didn’t need a big team talk,” Keane said. “It was Tottenham at home. I thought ‘please don’t go on about Tottenham, we all know what Tottenham is about, they are nice and tidy but we’ll ----ing do them. He came in and said: “Lads, it’s Tottenham’, and that was it. Brilliant.”

There is even a phrase for it. That was “so sexy,” they say. It started as meaning typical Spurs – but in a good, if ultimately stylish rather than ruthless, way. Such as Glenn Hoddle – skilful, entertaining, classy. But it also came to mean something more fatalistic – a special way of messing things up, of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory; of a particularly cruel vein of bad luck.

For example, it was ‘so sexy’ to finish in the top four in 2012 and qualify for the Champions League – only for Chelsea to go and then win the competition meaning they could not take part – and it is very, very ‘sexy’ of course to be facing Liverpool at home this Saturday lunchtime, as the Premier League resumes, with Jurgen Klopp now in charge of the opposition.

Klopp_3469709b.jpg
Spurs were interested in Jurgen Klopp

It would also be ‘sexy’ to hear that Spurs tried to lure Klopp to become their manager, a few years ago, and last week the German newspaper Bild claimed that they did. In this case, though, it had been Klopp’s sporting director at Borussia Dortmund, Michael Zorc, who they were after. It was so ‘sexy’ that they talked about Zorc but then did not hire him.

Except Spurs are not very ‘sexy’ this season. Or last. Mauricio Pochettino is not that kind of manager even if he admitted Spurs were “soft” two games into this campaign when they threw away a two-goal lead at home to Stoke City. Yes, that was a ‘sexy’ thing to do.

It has gone largely unnoticed, partly because Spurs sit only eighth in thePremier League table at present, but Pochettino has conducted an extraordinary turnaround in the club’s squad – and the mentality.

A manager who is evangelical about fitness and work-rate has also pared down his playing staff. The squad is leaner, younger and, hopefully, hungrier.

It has been a brave thing to do and it is beginning to reap its reward. The starting XI against Emirates Marketing Project a couple of weeks ago was just 24 years and 40 days – the youngest in the Premier League this season – and they achieved a remarkable 4-1 victory.

KANE_3454064b.jpg
Harry Kane celebrates after scoring against Emirates Marketing Project

That does not mean Spurs will finish in the top four although the implosion at Chelsea gives them a clear opportunity to exploit – as it does Liverpool, Everton and others.

Pochettino has not done it alone. When he was lured from Southampton he became Spurs’ fourth manager in five seasons and that had to stop. By giving the Argentinean a five-year deal it looked like Spurs were finally making a public statement: here was a manager they wanted to invest in by affording him the time. They have a state-of-the-art training ground. So exploit that, also, by getting a training ground manager which is what Pochettino is - as was his predecessor, Andre Villas-Boas, of course.

Spurs have spent big – they had spent the Bale money, albeit in net spend they are in the black in recent years – but there is a new stadium to finance and now is the time to invest in the long-term on and off the pitch. To build both.

Pochettino is perfect for them. Spurs finished fifth last season, which was a good achievement, one place higher than their wage bill would place them, in a season in which the new manager was there to assess and evaluate – and then clear-out who he did not want in the summer.

pochettino_3451262b.jpg
Pochettino's methods are bearing fruit at Spurs

That happened. Out when nine senior players, to add to the nine who were moved on last summer, with the wage bill being cut, and the average age of the team reduced. Last year Pochettino developed Harry Kane and Ryan Mason; this season it is Eric Dier and Dele Alli. There is a bravery in that – it is not just down to circumstance – that other managers can take heed off.

The stakes are different, of course, but it is hard to imagine that if Pochettino was in charge of Manchester United he would not be using James Wilson more. Or if he was at Chelsea that he would not be playing Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

It is easier for Spurs because the immediate ambition is not the same. They are not going for the title; just the top four and there is also the accusation leveled at Pochettino that he is far more comfortable working with younger players.

But the benefit is already being felt by the England national team. No manager has delivered more new players to Roy Hodgson than Pochettino in the last three years.

And now Spurs face Liverpool. Jamie Carragher recently damningly stated that Liverpool “are becoming Tottenham” because they “think they’re a big club but the real big clubs are not worried about them – who they buy, what they’re going to do – that’s the situation as it’s become for Liverpool”.

Ultimately Carragher may be right but it seems Spurs have already moved on from that kind of assessment and are looking to do things in a different way. Klopp said it was time for a “restart” at Liverpool when he was appointed last week and he has a similar philosophy to Pochettino. That “restart” is already underway at Tottenham. They certainly look less “sexy”.

Back