• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Well I have said it before and I will say it again it was not so much who we played that tinkleed me off but the fact that we passed up a chance to win a trophy. But you are right I think a lot of fans were more upset that it was the Arse then then screwing up a chance to win some honours.

Like you I want silverware but our current squad is too thin to be competing on all fronts unfortunately. Its very rare a team can sweep up all in front of them.

I think our objectives this season are: 1) League 2) Europa 3) FA Cup

Like you I want silverware but our current squad is too thin to be competing on all fronts unfortunately. Its very rare a team can sweep up all in front of them.

I think our objectives this season are: 1) League 2) Europa 3) FA Cup

I really do not see us getting into the top four ( this season anyway, but of course I hope I am wrong) I am old school and its about time we won a trophy and not just concentrate on finishing among the runners up ( top four). But Stop! Hammer time.

I really do not see us getting into the top four ( this season anyway, but of course I hope I am wrong) I am old school and its about time we won a trophy and not just concentrate on finishing among the runners up ( top four). But Stop! Hammer time.

Again I am with you, but I think the club has different priorities currently. I don't see us being a top four team but I like the fact that we are prepared to do our best ... I would love us to go for everything but playing the strongest team all the time available would be a strategy destined to fail.

On the flip side it would possibly mean that the core of the team would play more matches together and one or two slotting in and out of the team to cover probably wouldn't affect us.

However our players would probably get more injured and exhausted as the season wears on. But is this an excuse?

Again I am with you, but I think the club has different priorities currently. I don't see us being a top four team but I like the fact that we are prepared to do our best ... I would love us to go for everything but playing the strongest team all the time available would be a strategy destined to fail.

On the flip side it would possibly mean that the core of the team would play more matches together and one or two slotting in and out of the team to cover probably wouldn't affect us.

However our players would probably get more injured and exhausted as the season wears on. But is this an excuse?

I agree about playing the core of the team, too many times we have made wholesale changes when resting just the players who need a rest might be more effective, of course we don't know what the coaches know about the players or the data on their fitness and recover times. I do think going out of the League Cup might prove a blessing to us as there are too many games before Christmas, that with the travelling time and International breaks robs the coach of valuable time on the training ground.

I do agree with that but I think we can balance it out better then we did the other night naming 6 reserves ( two who have not played this season) against a top side was always likely to end in tears. I have no problem with changing it up a little when its called for.

Anyway onwards and upwards.

I agree about playing the core of the team, too many times we have made wholesale changes when resting just the players who need a rest might be more effective, of course we don't know what the coaches know about the players or the data on their fitness and recover times. I do think going out of the League Cup might prove a blessing to us as there are too many games before Christmas, that with the travelling time and International breaks robs the coach of valuable time on the training ground.
Exactly. And with a young team you need as much of that as you can get. The trophies will subsequently come.

I still maintain if Poch is allowed to get on with what he is doing THIS season, then in future seasons the squad will be strong and able enough to do it all. But there has been a lot of aching in the last 2-3 years, and this is the final phase of that IMO, with the backroom, the squad, the academy, all of it changing for the better.

I still maintain if Poch is allowed to get on with what he is doing THIS season, then in future seasons the squad will be strong and able enough to do it all. But there has been a lot of aching in the last 2-3 years, and this is the final phase of that IMO, with the backroom, the squad, the academy, all of it changing for the better.

I really hope you are right!!!

I like Neville, probably the best pundit out there at the moment.
A lot of sense there and interesting that he didn't name any of the last team he was saying wasn't good.

so last season Burnley outrun their opponents 38 times out of 38 but got relegated and season 13/14 Cardiff did the same in 32 out of 38 games and got relegated.

also, in 13/14 Poch's Southampton outran their opponents in 37 of their 38 games, Spurs did it in 10 of their 38 games, but Spurs finished the season higher in the final PL table and with 13 points more

I like a lot of what Neville says there, but this working harder/running further than the rest aspect is not such an important route to success. I think its more about working smarter than the opponent, knowing when to press hard, but also knowing when to drop off and then pounce when needs be

It's about working hard at the right times and in the right ways. That's the key. Wasteful chasing is ineffective. Pushing, chasing and harrying as a unit will get results more often than not.

Last edited:
Running alot for Burnley and Cardiff was down to them not having alot of the ball. Our possession stats will show we have alot of the ball but when we don't have it we run very hard to get it back. That means our running is done in shorter bursts. That's how a proper press works. I imagine if you look at Athletico Madrids and Borussia stats it will say the same. Also remember we have a younger team and they have the legs to run more for longer coupled with the intense cardio work we do between games.

The running stats are a good sign. Would be bad if they were coupled with 40% possession.

so last season Burnley outrun their opponents 38 times out of 38 but got relegated and season 13/14 Cardiff did the same in 32 out of 38 games and got relegated.

also, in 13/14 Poch's Southampton outran their opponents in 37 of their 38 games, Spurs did it in 10 of their 38 games, but Spurs finished the season higher in the final PL table and with 13 points more

I like a lot of what Neville says there, but this working harder/running further than the rest aspect is not such an important route to success. I think its more about working smarter than the opponent, knowing when to press hard, but also knowing when to drop off and then pounce when needs be

Was going to comment exactly the same thing but you beat me to it. Teams who control games are always going to run less than those who spend most time chasing it.

That being said, a team who controls the game whilst having the ability/fitness to run more than the other team where required will be tough to beat.

I think Neville was just trying to illustrate a point that Poch has instilled a harder working mentallity in the players than was there previous.

Running alot for Burnley and Cardiff was down to them not having alot of the ball. Our possession stats will show we have alot of the ball but when we don't have it we run very hard to get it back. That means our running is done in shorter bursts. That's how a proper press works. I imagine if you look at Athletico Madrids and Borussia stats it will say the same. Also remember we have a younger team and they have the legs to run more for longer coupled with the intense cardio work we do between games.

The running stats are a good sign. Would be bad if they were coupled with 40% possession.

Yeh, I think that's the key. If we are running harder than other teams, whilst still dominating possesion then our chances of winning games has to be greatly increased.

Stan Collymore: Whisper it quietly, but I think Spurs are slowly getting it right you know.

The dour, one paced football of the post Bale era in the last two weeks has been replaced by youthful, cohesive, vibrant attacking play which must delight Spurs fans.

I watched so many Spurs games after the Bale money was spent, and like many, expected Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela et al to come good. In hindsight, too many came in too soon and the balance wasn’t right.

I had my reservations speaking to people at Spurs this season when they suggested Poch wanted a smaller, leaner squad in numbers as in the Premier League it’s important to cover those injuries, suspensions and 3 domestic competitions that affect performance over a season.

There’s still time of course for Spurs to get a Kane niggle or a Dier suspension but I saw against Palace, then Emirates Marketing Project, a freshness and a unity that I haven’t seen at Spurs since the mercurial Welshman left for the Bernabeu.

Delle Alli looks the real deal in midfield, and offers the perfect balance to the more combative Dier, who has grown into a formidable defensive block in front of the back four.

Kane finally has his league goal which should see him off and running after a tough start. Lloris looks the real deal as a world class keeper. And maybe, just maybe, Eric Lamela may be enjoying playing with some of the younger talent around him.

It’s a gamble; smaller squads tend to have a better spirit, less players upset at being left out on match days, less moping around the dressing room with those left out, less waste.

But Poch will be aware that it’s a high risk strategy and depends on the smaller group all staying fit, all staying motivated and all staying in form at the right time. I hope he gets it right but he’s going to need simple luck for a group so small in depth to be unscathed until May.

http://betting.boylesports.com/football/liverpool-fans-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-stan-speaks

We have a bigger squad than Chelsea and the same size as Emirates Marketing Project and Man Utd and that's only those over 21.

Back