• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Come on now. Lennon has had more then enough game, year in, year out, time and has disappointed again and again and again. I dont buy the "he was'nt used effectively" argument. He has been total dross and coasting through his career as a footballer. We need to get rid.

I think he has had the talents to become a very good player throughout his career. Every manager has come in and has had Lennon first choice. Even when he lost his place to Bentley, he won it back. Clearly he has something and is not "total dross".

I think he is one of the players I look at when I think of pressing high and collectively, that could be a major asset. Yes he needs to be better, but I don't think we need to get rid of him at all. Lets see what Pochettino can do with him.

that said it is probably easier to finish 8th if you are predicted to be around 11th 12th than say 4th if you're predicted 6th-7th

I think we'll be fine here. He's probably had to rotate a fair fit in order to implement his ultra fit style and it's meant he's had to sacrifice the cups for upward trajectory in the league. With us it will be the first time he's had a big enough squad to rotate and play for 4 competitions.

I think that it is a bit early to be making predictions about how he will use the squad. I think that it is possible that he could choose not to prioritise the cups in his first season.

I think that it is a bit early to be making predictions about how he will use the squad. I think that it is possible that he could choose not to prioritise the cups in his first season.

He may well do, but we would likely have a big enough squad that we are actually capable of competing in multiple competitions even with a bit of rotation thrown in.

that said it is probably easier to finish 8th if you are predicted to be around 11th 12th than say 4th if you're predicted 6th-7th

What if the people he knew saying that Southampton would finish top ten where Southampton fans though no Nostradamus there just like us its the old tinted specs ;)

I am not really arguing for or against the guy to be honest I just have this feeling that you get jumped on a bit if you don't agree that poch can walk on water and has a beak for eating honey ,water in to wine etc.

It should be ok to have reservations if he was not your first choice just the same as if you have a differing opinion.

I would say its the messiah stuff that will make pochs job a lot more difficult as it seriously raises expectations amongst the fans and thus makes the disappointment if its not amazing from week one more desperate and vocal.

All that and more was said about avb and he was under pressure and unrealistic expectations from day. .

With our large squad Injury free of course he should be prioritising all comps no ?

We have a large first team squad and a good reserve under 21s if he is good he should be at least looking at a bloody good run in the fa cup and trying to win the Europa (trying )

What if the people he knew saying that Southampton would finish top ten where Southampton fans though no Nostradamus there just like us its the old tinted specs ;)

I am not really arguing for or against the guy to be honest I just have this feeling that you get jumped on a bit if you don't agree that poch can walk on water and has a beak for eating honey ,water in to wine etc.

It should be ok to have reservations if he was not your first choice just the same as if you have a differing opinion.

I would say its the messiah stuff that will make pochs job a lot more difficult as it seriously raises expectations amongst the fans and thus makes the disappointment if its not amazing from week one more desperate and vocal.

All that and more was said about avb and he was under pressure and unrealistic expectations from day. .

I don't think that is what is happening though. I have reservations about Poch (he was my 3rd choice), just as I had reservations about my 1st and 2nd choice (RB if possible and FDB). However, I have said all along that I would be happy with any of the 3, though they all come with worries.

What bothers me (and perhaps the others that may be commenting) is when people rewrite history in a big way with the help of hindsight. Southampton were always going to finish 8th. In fact, that is the very minimum a competent manager should have done and he should have been finishing higher (above any of Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton or Man Utd) apparently.

We don't want to be up his ass and pretend like he's the messiah but let's actually be fair with our assessments shall we?

He may well do, but we would likely have a big enough squad that we are actually capable of competing in multiple competitions even with a bit of rotation thrown in.

Hopefully but working with a decent squad is new for him. It is possible that it may take him a while to adapt and there could be mistakes along the way.

Hopefully but working with a decent squad is new for him. It is possible that it may take him a while to adapt and there could be mistakes along the way.

Disagree. He's worked with sure-fire top-eighters Southampton for the last year and a half. It's almost as decent a squad as you can get!

For me it is about setting realistic expectations. If we are not careful we will doom him to failure before a ball has been kicked and people will be turning on him in October because we are a little behind where they think we should be.

Or given the difficulty of breaking into the top four - the two sugar-daddy clubs, a revived Liverpool and (I'd expect) United, plus Wenger guarding the 4th spot like a dragon with his treasure - there could be a good case of trying harder in the cups. There are five clubs paying much higher wages ahead of us and we must get past two. So why not give the cups a go, the downside should not be worse than a slip to 7th.

Or given the difficulty of breaking into the top four - the two sugar-daddy clubs, a revived Liverpool and (I'd expect) United, plus Wenger guarding the 4th spot like a dragon with his treasure - there could be a good case of trying harder in the cups. There are five clubs paying much higher wages ahead of us and we must get past two. So why not give the cups a go, the downside should not be worse than a slip to 7th.

I can see the logic in that, especially now that there is a Champions League place for winning the UEFA cup.

I am just saying that it is a little early to predict how he will approach the competitions we are in and what his priorities will be. I also think that it is a little niaive to think that we have a good squad, so we can prioritise everything. That is a trick that neither of our last two permanent managers could pull off.

I can see the logic in that, especially now that there is a Champions League place for winning the UEFA cup.

I am just saying that it is a little early to predict how he will approach the competitions we are in and what his priorities will be. I also think that it is a little niaive to think that we have a good squad, so we can prioritise everything. That is a trick that neither of our last two permanent managers could pull off.

I meant could not pull off

Well we have our man in place now...and he has time to plan,all good.

Lets just hope we see a better brand of football than last season and lets hope Levy backs Poch with patience and a desired player or three.

I dont want to be negative but the obvious fear is that it all goes wrong after the first season and he's gone in 18 months or a 2 from 8 syndrome happens again. There are reasons to be optimistic,his teams play an attractive style if he can make some savvy adjustments to the squad he could make us very effective.

Although I have mentioned how financially important it is to get 4th (50m difference between finishing 5th) we are really up against it in terms of our rivals having better squads and more financial muscle....some understanding from spurs fans of this would be a good thing.....5-8th is our level and anything above that is us punching above our weight. With a Champs league place up for grabs in the europa league priority should be 1)league 2)europa league 3)domestic cups.

In terms of finishing top 4 we are up against the following:

- Emirates Marketing Project a shoe in for top 4, best squad and money to burn
- Chelsea, will spend big on firepower...better squad than us rarely out the top 4
- Arsenal....uuurrrrgh not finished out of top 4 for around 18 years!
- Man utd...some useless dutch bloke in charge....will probably go all out to buy the best they can and reclaim UCL
- Liverpool....hope they suffer with european footie and hope that Suarez rocks up at Real Madrid...either way some would argue another shoe in for top 4
- Everton, not to shabby at all under Martinez...will fight to get better!

So thats what were up against...not easy at all.....If we play some lovely stuff try to punch above our weight I will be happy.....poch needs to move on the drifters/coasters who we know loads about......see ya later Daws & Lennon....and if he can get a tune out of Lamela then all the better!!!

It all depends on Dany Boys mood swings and fans patience but lets hope its Mission Possible for poch and not mission impossible!......looking forward to seeing what our shiny new manager can do (for the 13th time in 10 years)

COYS!!! MAURI POCHI BLUE & WHITE ARMY!!!\o/

I was also just thinking about the report that said all Southampton players did during the day was sleep after their double sessions. It's another reason why he's perfect for us, as a club needing to eeke out that extra bit of performance to compete against the established elite. You can't rock up and tell Emirates Marketing Project's players do to that because they will say there must be another way to get the best squad to win without running them into the ground. But you could probably tell our players to do so. If they get on board, we should hopefully get the level of over-achievement that we need.

Although, weren't our players complaining about the AVB training intensity early on in his reign? But then wasn't Baldini unimpressed with the intensity? Hmm...

Back