• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

All very positive until...

"A more legitimate concern is his style of play. At St Mary’s, he had a dynamic, energetic front four that often pressed high up the pitch. Guys like Eriksen, Adebayor and Soldado don’t fit that mould, which means that, barring a hefty turnover of personnel, he’ll have to come up with something different.

Can he? That’s the challenge. We tend to think of managers having fixed-in-stone philosophies and identities, but the best ones adapt to what they have, and Pochettino will need to prove he can do that. This move is a step up for him and, for Spurs, a gamble on a promising manager."

And I agree its a gamble.

Why do people still go on about sacking Redknapp? Redknapp admitted on the t.v at the euro's that he would have gone to England and was pretty much hoping they would come in for him and a week or so later Levy sacked him. Thats the reason he was sacked and no other IMO.

Why do people still go on about sacking Redknapp? Redknapp admitted on the t.v at the euro's that he would have gone to England and was pretty much hoping they would come in for him and a week or so later Levy sacked him. Thats the reason he was sacked and no other IMO.

I wont go on about Harry as well... the past is the past but if Bale last season didnt go to Real - would you have kept him? Id hazard a guess and say yes.

I wont go on about Harry as well... the past is the past but if Bale last season didnt go to Real - would you have kept him? Id hazard a guess and say yes.

id probably consider trying to move him on if he spent the second half of the ......

ah forget it :lol:

With regards Saints finishing top 8, let's face it this has been such a mixed up season there are anomolies all over the place.

There was no great team of the season champions. The top three all had the hallmarks of sides who would be runners up. Three clubs were much of a muchness for fourth. There were some terrible teams in the drop, which IMHO all boiled down to the luck of the fixture list and various patterns at the start and end of the season.

Saints were a great side for a section of the season but very ordinary at others. One defeat at the wrong time and they would be in the mix for 13th or so. Were never going to struggle, never going to challenge for top 6. An achievement to finish 8th but there is little between them, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham even.

I'm pleased to get Poch, impressed with his work at Saints but wary of reading too much into one stay in a topsey turvey season.

All very positive until...

"A more legitimate concern is his style of play. At St Mary’s, he had a dynamic, energetic front four that often pressed high up the pitch. Guys like Eriksen, Adebayor and Soldado don’t fit that mould, which means that, barring a hefty turnover of personnel, he’ll have to come up with something different.

Can he? That’s the challenge. We tend to think of managers having fixed-in-stone philosophies and identities, but the best ones adapt to what they have, and Pochettino will need to prove he can do that. This move is a step up for him and, for Spurs, a gamble on a promising manager."

And I agree its a gamble.

I'm not convinced any of those players can't play in a team that presses consistently. As others have said, the only one I would worry that can't is Ade, not because he can't press but rather because he doesn't give off the image of someone that is most reliable following team instructions. Eriksen is a worker though and Soldado has played a fair few times for Spain during their era of press and possess.

I'm not convinced any of those players can't play in a team that presses consistently. As others have said, the only one I would worry that can't is Ade, not because he can't press but rather because he doesn't give off the image of someone that is most reliable following team instructions. Eriksen is a worker though and Soldado has played a fair few times for Spain during their era of press and possess.

Conversely, I think that Ade is the only one, other than Lennon, who has proved that he can do it in the Premier League.

The defensive side of the game is Eriksen's weakest and he does not read the game well defensively. Lamela does not strike me as a player full of heart but I can certainly see him benefiting who could turn over the ball high up the pitch. Soldado might be able to do it but it is not something we have seen much evidence of in his first season. Chadli grew as the season went on but he does not use his size enough. Townsend currently does not read the game well enough to suggest that he will be able to slot straight into this system.

One player that we have not talked about and many are writing off is Sig, who could play a high pressing game well but whether that is good enough for us is another question.

For me, if we are going to start next season playing like this then Ade, with Eriksen, Sig and Lennon behind him is probably the safest way to go.

I dont think he meant they couldnt do it but more it is not the best use of their ability. Eriksen for instance needs sapce to work in, he's not gonna rob the ball off someone and break at pace when he has none. He's better off floating behind the lines than getting tight to the full back.

I can see shades of Poch taking over an under performing team, much like when Harry came. [-o<

But Spurs, under Sherwood, weren't an "under performing team".

The 1.95 points per game average was the best of any Spurs team in the Premier League Era.

I think his percentage lost was worse than AVB and whoever else people looked at (likely Redknapp). Anyways lets steer away from these waters

I should become the manager win my first game then retire so that statto can kiss my **** aswell.

He was lucky at Southampton that he only had to focus on the PL. That enabled him to train them hard, make them run, get them fit during the week, all in order to press the sh!t out of the opposition at the weekend. At Spurs Poch cannot afford this luxury. We will be expected to challenge on all fronts, both cups and the EL, plus of course the PL.Yes we have a bigger squad, but that is another area he is untested, how to manage such a large squad of top players. Rotating the squad, convincing them all that the hard fitness work is neccesary, with all our extra games how much time will he actually have to implement his tough fitness regime.

He was lucky at Southampton that he only had to focus on the PL. That enabled him to train them hard, make them run, get them fit during the week, all in order to press the sh!t out of the opposition at the weekend. At Spurs Poch cannot afford this luxury. We will be expected to challenge on all fronts, both cups and the EL, plus of course the PL.Yes we have a bigger squad, but that is another area he is untested, how to manage such a large squad of top players. Rotating the squad, convincing them all that the hard fitness work is neccesary, with all our extra games how much time will he actually have to implement his tough fitness regime.

It would be nice if we did but how many times have we challenged on all fronts recently? In reality, a decent run in one of the cups and a top five finish would be a very reasonable return on his first season in charge.

It would be nice if we did but how many times have we challenged on all fronts recently? In reality, a decent run in one of the cups and a top five finish would be a very reasonable return on his first season in charge.

Its more about the volume of games. At Southampton he could get away with playing weakened teams in the cups. The Saints played 44 games in total last season. Spurs, who had an average season, played 54 games and the majority of our top players played when fit. I think we will be expected to play the same number again, if not a few more and yes the fans will demand we compete on all fronts. 6 years since we won a trophy, 5 years since a cup final appearance. These are pressures Poch has never faced.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/p...53-spurs-have-pulled-off-coup-of-the-year.php

Tottenham Hotspur have pulled off the coup of the year by appointing Mauricio Pochettino as their new manager, according to the head scout of Serie A side Parma.

After sacking of Harry Redknapp in 2012, Spurs have gone on to part ways with a further two managers in Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood in the space of seven months.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has opted for the former Southampton boss as the man to guide the club to the Champions League after three seasons out of Europe’s top competition.
Speaking about the appointment, Emilio Affuso, Parma’s chief scout, feels that the North London club have made the deal of the year by appointing the Argentine.
“Baldini has pulled off the coup of the year. I’ve lived in England for a few months and I follow British football closely. Pochettino coupled with Baldini is worth the same as (Louis) van Gaal or (Manuel) Pellegrini,” said Affuso.
"He is the technician who, last season, impressed more than anyone. Southampton played modern football effectively. Tottenham finally have a real manager after the last sad experience,” Affuso went on to say in an interview with Tutto Mercato Web.
Pochettino has signed a five year deal at White Hart Lane and becomes the club’s second Argentine manager after Ossie Ardiles who was in charge during the 1993-94 season.

Back