• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

All very positive until...

"A more legitimate concern is his style of play. At St Mary’s, he had a dynamic, energetic front four that often pressed high up the pitch. Guys like Eriksen, Adebayor and Soldado don’t fit that mould, which means that, barring a hefty turnover of personnel, he’ll have to come up with something different.

Can he? That’s the challenge. We tend to think of managers having fixed-in-stone philosophies and identities, but the best ones adapt to what they have, and Pochettino will need to prove he can do that. This move is a step up for him and, for Spurs, a gamble on a promising manager."

And I agree its a gamble.

Big gamble for Poche, how many ex managers have gone on to do well elsewhere ?? Mind you, AvB seems to be doing well. In the Russian league.

…so it would appear that both Townsend and Lamela are going to see a lot of action, as well as Azza (who I won't give up on as I think he's still a really good player when in the right circumstances...

Its more about the volume of games. At Southampton he could get away with playing weakened teams in the cups. The Saints played 44 games in total last season. Spurs, who had an average season, played 54 games and the majority of our top players played when fit. I think we will be expected to play the same number again, if not a few more and yes the fans will demand we compete on all fronts. 6 years since we won a trophy, 5 years since a cup final appearance. These are pressures Poch has never faced.

I'm not sure that the first part of your post matches up with the second. I agree that our cup performance last season seems like a reasonable benchmark in Poch's first season but we performed badly in the cups last year.

Personally, I do not think that it will be possible for Poch to successfully guide the team to the latter stages of all the cups and maintain acceptable league results in his first season.

We have a squad packed with potential but very little of that has materialised in a Spurs shirt. I don't think that it is beyond the realms of possibility that some of the players that we rate might struggle to adapt to Poch's methods and preferred way of playing.

Given that a decent league position is what he will be judged on, I would be happy for him to play the kids and fringe players in the League Cup and the EUROPA group stages and see where we are at Christmas and make a decision on the FA Cup then.

Few articles coming out with a negative vibe on Poch today, from Neil Ashton (spit) and the BBC. Well I say negative, but maybe they simply raise a few causes for concern.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nham-Spurs-finally-break-sulky-Argentine.html - supposedly 'every' person we called doing our due dilligence on Poch said the job was too soon for him, but Levy pressed ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27599165 - Story here making the point that not all players liked him, that he had his favourites and squad players could feel cast out as a result.

From the first link ..... Oh ****

He wanted to control everything,’ claimed former Espanyol midfielder Moises Hurtado. ‘The first season was fine. He’d been a player and he understood, but then things changed.

‘He seemed to see conspiracy where there was none, and some good people had to leave by the back door. He wanted everyone to dance to his tune, for people to be entirely committed to him. The atmosphere ended up not being so good. But in purely sporting terms there was no problem. He got great results and we played well.’

Few articles coming out with a negative vibe on Poch today, from Neil Ashton (spit) and the BBC. Well I say negative, but maybe they simply raise a few causes for concern.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nham-Spurs-finally-break-sulky-Argentine.html - supposedly 'every' person we called doing our due dilligence on Poch said the job was too soon for him, but Levy pressed ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27599165 - Story here making the point that not all players liked him, that he had his favourites and squad players could feel cast out as a result.

If we hired LVG, Mourinho, Pep etc there would still be a negative angle somewhere. I could write a massive list of LVG negatives which at the end of the day mean nothing.

Theres many more players that hate LVG and Mourinho than Pochettino. Players have PUBLICLY insulted Mourinho, LVG and Pep and we don't think less of those managers.
ETO's recent "fool" insult doesn't make us question Mourinho
Ribery calling Peps formations "weird" in a negative way doesn't make us question Pep
LVG left the dutch team the first time round due to the entire squad rejecting his methods. We were still cuming in our pants at the thought of his arrival

NO manager is perfect. Journos have to write something at the end of the day

If we got FDB it would be "oh but he never managed in the epl, his slow football won't work
If we got Ancelotti it would be "oh but if he couldn't win la liga with bale, etc hows he gonna do well with Spurs etc

and so on and so on

Last edited:
Some of the hyperbole in the press surrounding this appointment is laughable. He might have had some issues in the past. So what? Who is to say he hasn't learnt from these experiences? Southampton was his most recent tenure and you hear nothing but high praise from the players. Ashton is fekin bellend and the BBC piece is not exactly critical but more speculative about how it isn't a match made in heaven.

Reality is that none of them really know how it will work out, he is as big a risk for us as Martinez was for Everton and Rodgers for Liverpool.

If we hired LVG, Mourinho, Pep etc there would still be a negative angle somewhere. I could write a massive list of LVG negatives which at the end of the day mean nothing.

Theres many more players that hate LVG and Mourinho than Pochettino. Players have PUBLICLY insulted Mourinho, LVG and Pep and we don't think less of those managers.
ETO's recent "fool" insult doesn't make us question Mourinho
Ribery calling Peps formations "weird" in a negative way doesn't make us question Pep
LVG left the dutch team the first time round due to the entire squad rejecting his methods. We were still cuming in our pants at the thought of his arrival

NO manager is perfect. Journos have to write something at the end of the day

I know, I agree even. I'm massively on board the MoPo train, I just think it's interesting that some negatives are appearing in the press after a flurry of 'Spurs have signed a great coach in the making' type articles we got the day before. Certainly seems like Southampton are maybe briefing here in order to lessen the blow of losing their top guy.

But it's interesting to see how these methods will translate to the current squad. Are some players going to be put out that they didn't get invited for one of MoPo's chats? AVB apparently made a point of making sure he involved and spoke to everyone on an equal level. The whole 'wanting everyone's entire commitment' doesn't worry me, as that's what I think you need if you are going to get a team performing beyond the sum of its parts.

Interesting.... Especially as I know that at least two of Ashton's facts in that article are completely made up. Makes me wonder how many others are?

Wonder if Neil Ashton is STILL annoyed that we sacked Harry? I think I've managed to get over bitter divorces faster than he has got over that!

"Pochettino himself agreed to pay Southampton the £2m release fee that was stipulated in his contract"

True? I'm impressed!

One of the article asks whether Poch will be able to work with the existing players.

I would have thought from our point of view, that's a non-negotiable.

"Pochettino himself agreed to pay Southampton the £2m release fee that was stipulated in his contract"

True? I'm impressed!

He had to. It was part of his contract and he had to pay this himself in order to break it. I would imagine that the package that wehave given him will more than make up for this however.

Was Ashton the journalist that tried to embarrass AVB at that press conference last season, when AVB completely turned it round and made the journalist look like the muppet?

Well those 2 articles had the opposite effect on me. I'm sold, he's gonna be a good one.

And bringing in Puyol as assistant will be sweet!

Back