• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

Sure but considering our lack of like for like cover for Dembele and our youth experts saying Onomah plays a like young Dembele then you can probably see where I'm going with this.

Maybe the League Cup will give him a chance in that position.

It is pretty standard practice to introduce players into first team football in less pressurised positions. It's why strikers are often played wide or deep early in their careers too.

Is that why the would be centre backs get to play #10 "in the hole" first?. And the GKs start out in the luxury creative playmaker spot?

Is that why the would be centre backs get to play #10 "in the hole" first?. And the GKs start out in the luxury creative playmaker spot?

Are you saying that what I am saying is wrong or that it doesn't make any sense?

Are you saying that what I am saying is wrong or that it doesn't make any sense?

Neither. I have no knowledge of whether it is correct. And I understand what you are suggesting.
But I was wondering - how do you play the GK in a less pressurised position. Or the CB. Are any positions in a premiership team really less pressurised? Certain first team games perhaps, but positions? I imagine there would be all kinds of independent variables to be considered when determining a "less pressurised position" if such a thing existed.(I suppose it must a be a matter of degree, but suggest the differences are marginal and almost impossible to determine).

Unless by less pressurised you meant - as in more likely to be pressed - although I don't think that is what you meant, and you get pressed all over the pitch anyway.
Also, if I am a conventional #9, that's where I want to play, that is where the manager wants to play me, then playing me somewhere else -wide, for example -may put me under more pressure.
I was just thinking aloud. I'll stop now.

Neither. I have no knowledge of whether it is correct. And I understand what you are suggesting.
But I was wondering - how do you play the GK in a less pressurised position. Or the CB. Are any positions in a premiership team really less pressurised? Certain first team games perhaps, but positions? I imagine there would be all kinds of independent variables to be considered when determining a "less pressurised position" if such a thing existed.(I suppose it must a be a matter of degree, but suggest the differences are marginal and almost impossible to determine).

Unless by less pressurised you meant - as in more likely to be pressed - although I don't think that is what you meant, and you get pressed all over the pitch anyway.
Also, if I am a conventional #9, that's where I want to play, that is where the manager wants to play me, then playing me somewhere else -wide, for example -may put me under more pressure.
I was just thinking aloud. I'll stop now.

Goalkeepers and central defenders typically break into the first team later than forward and midfielders

Goalkeepers and central defenders typically break into the first team later than forward and midfielders

Young centre-backs quite often get played at full-back at the start of their careers - a position which allows them to learn their trade but cause minimal damage if a mistake is made.
I could probably give 10 examples of that.

Playing a young lad higher up the pitch with less defensive responsibility and also where physicality is less of an issue makes sense to me.

Goalkeepers, yes - not a lot you can do with them! Pickford at Sunderland seems a talented young lad but dived over the ball on Saturday which turned the focus from a good performance into a glaring error.

josh-onomah.jpg

I hope this is the first of many

I think that it is impossible for us to know how first team experience is helping his development or confidence. I would assume that it is something that the coaching staff would consider.

I haven't seen any criticism of him in the media, they tend to know better than to have a go at 19 year old kids just starting out and it is only the most myopic of fans that have been criticising him, the vast majority are prepared to give him time.

We are Tottenham
We are Tottenham
We are Tottenham
Quite a lot of us are insane

Great, GREAT goal!!

He's one of our own, he's one of our oowwwn
Josh On-om-ah, he's one of our own

:)

Hopefully first of many.

I can see what you say though @Yoof ; he did often in the middle third of the game seem to coast a fair bit. Anyway, onwards and upwards
COYS

On the plus side, young Josh may get more minutes in the league with Sissoko's inevitable 3 match ban. Could be a good time to stake a claim.

Always said that this guy looks massively over-rated a la Bostock or Parrett. Strolls about the place as if the world owes him something - as I said in the Liverpool match thread, he needs to watch Lamela and understand that you can be skilful and work hard. He's had enough appearances now for us to be able to judge him and he really doesn't contribute much at all and doesn't look like contributing much. He doesn't even effing run!

Needs to go out on loan. Perhaps he's like this given that, I guess, he's always been quite big and better than most of his peers, but he's playing in mens football now and looks light-years from making the transition. A loan, at whatever level, might get him used to the physicality of mens football and might get someone teaching him to run around

Give him time because he is young, but he HAS to work harder on the pitch imo. Whatever your level, you can always work hard.

If you're Messi, take a breather, have a stroll sometimes. Everyone else needs to work like a b@stard.

Back