• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

My GHod a 19 year old with 10 apperances is written off, might as well scrap the academy if players can't walk straight out of it into the first. Can't wait till we can slaughter the next great thing Edwards.

I think what most of us are saying is that in the handful of starts he's made, plus the 20-30(?) sub-cameo appearances there hasnt been anything at all that he's shown - bit of pace, decent pass here and there, beaten a man, decent shot every few games etc - so either he has nothing or he's been brought into the team way too early.

It does seem that Poch prefers to keep the better youngsters in teh squad rather than loan them out (presumably on the basis that we should have better coaches than a league 1 side) so he must have seen something from Onomah in training. The peculiar thing is that one thing which is a pre-requisite for Poch is work-rate, yet Onomah seems to coast. I hope he makes it, but he hasnt shown anything yet

I can agree with that but as I said it's not doing him any favours because he is looking out of his depth in the attacking positions. It would be sad to see his development and confidence suffer due to poor performances and criticism from fans and the media

I think that it is impossible for us to know how first team experience is helping his development or confidence. I would assume that it is something that the coaching staff would consider.

I haven't seen any criticism of him in the media, they tend to know better than to have a go at 19 year old kids just starting out and it is only the most myopic of fans that have been criticising him, the vast majority are prepared to give him time.

If Josh had have made the right run and lobbed Mignolet, he'd be the second coming! Fine margins and all that.,,

was probably our best Outfield player today for those 5 mins, a bit like rashford for england against iceland

i thought he looked alright - tried to make things happen and beat his man/men a couple of times. obviously a little raw but he's only going to improve if he gets the minutes

I thought he looked lost when he came on and played quite a headless game rather than an intelligent one

Getting caught offside like he did is always poor IMO

was probably our best Outfield player today for those 5 mins, a bit like rashford for england against iceland

Sorry but that is so wrong (imo) Rashford has shown the same impact that Alii did for us last season. So far ( and this may change) but from the little i have of seen of Onomah in the first team he looks lost ( which is fine but he needs to step up a lot more to be compered to Rashford).

He's never looked all that comfortable playing further forward in the youth sides, that's the main reason for him looking lost. I'd rather he went on loan but Poch seems intent on bringing him(and others) through without them developing elsewhere first.

I see him 'only' doing one good thing when he came on as a positive.

Until now, he hasn't really done anything of note in his appearances. Tidy player, but no glimpse of what he could offer long-term.

Squirming out of high pressure from 3 Liverpool players was brilliant, especially considering he then used the ball excellently with the drive, pass and run that followed. I daresay it was reminiscent of Dembele (with more attacking instinct even).

For those criticising his lack of composure - what else did you expect? A thus-far unproven 19 year-old coming on to replace our talisman, captain and last year's Golden Boot winner, with the team searching for a winner having just levelled up a game in which we had been dominated, against a major rival, with no other attacking players coming on around the same time.

High pressure situations like the one Onomah faced on Saturday are the experiences he will draw upon when he hits his peak, at whatever level that may be. Facing more sooner rather than later can only help raise that level.

He's never looked all that comfortable playing further forward in the youth sides, that's the main reason for him looking lost. I'd rather he went on loan but Poch seems intent on bringing him(and others) through without them developing elsewhere first.
Surely considering our lack of cover for Dembele Poch should be playing this kid there instead of further forward.

I think what most of us are saying is that in the handful of starts he's made, plus the 20-30(?) sub-cameo appearances there hasnt been anything at all that he's shown - bit of pace, decent pass here and there, beaten a man, decent shot every few games etc - so either he has nothing or he's been brought into the team way too early.

It does seem that Poch prefers to keep the better youngsters in teh squad rather than loan them out (presumably on the basis that we should have better coaches than a league 1 side) so he must have seen something from Onomah in training. The peculiar thing is that one thing which is a pre-requisite for Poch is work-rate, yet Onomah seems to coast. I hope he makes it, but he hasnt shown anything yet

your football knowledge is shocking

Surely considering our lack of cover for Dembele Poch should be playing this kid there instead of further forward.

The last thing you want to do to a kid who is struggling to come to terms with adapting to mens football is to play him in CM - you get even less time there

The last thing you want to do to a kid who is struggling to come to terms with adapting to mens football is to play him in CM - you get even less time there

Id play him in CM for a Championship team for a season.

It's a relief that Poch has managed to fill the spacegoat role within the squad from the academy rather than try to bring one in from outside so late in the window. He really does understand what our fans want.

I hear you but playing him out of position will not help him either and who knows maybe he will shine there.

I hear you but playing him out of position will not help him either and who knows maybe he will shine there.

It is pretty standard practice to introduce players into first team football in less pressurised positions. It's why strikers are often played wide or deep early in their careers too.

It is pretty standard practice to introduce players into first team football in less pressurised positions. It's why strikers are often played wide or deep early in their careers too.
Sure but considering our lack of like for like cover for Dembele and our youth experts saying Onomah plays a like young Dembele then you can probably see where I'm going with this.

Back