• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

The side looked better when he and Carroll came on (until Chadli came on). I would not place any of yesterday's blame on him.

The side looked better when he and Carroll came on (until Chadli came on). I would not place any of yesterday's blame on him.
Agreed. We were definitely looking better in that period. The second half actually seemed to turn on the sending off. Before that happened I was confident that we would get an equaliser and possibly then even a winner. Mitrovic being sent off hindered us rather than helped us. This is where we lack leadership and experience. We went gung ho immediately, despite the fact that there were about 20 minutes left and all we needed at that point was a single goal.

My thoughts on Onomah is that he should end up becoming a very good player. He is a long, long way ahead of most 19 years olds, but he is not quite yet at the level that allows us to start him in games (neither PL nor CL). A good loan move to the Championship or League 1 could be very beneficial for his development.

I think the last few games have also shown that we have several specific cover problems in our team. With no Dembele we lack a player that allows us to transition defence to attack and with no Alli we lack a player to get beyond Harry Kane, of course there are also the two obvious holes in the team if Kane or Dier are out.

The good news is that I am sure Pochettino knows exactly where his squad is weak, both in terms of the required technical skills to execute his game plan and also mental strength.

I do think this team lacks a bit of leadership. That leadership could end up growing from within, but it won't be a particularly quick process. If we could supplement our ranks with a true leader this summer then I think that would be very beneficial to us.

Not sure what Onomah is going to give us. Not that quick. Not a great dribbler. Not big and powerful. Not that great in air. Although it is early days it all seems fairly average, and I can't see what he might become very good at with experience.
I'd rather have kept Lennon (or even Townsend) despite their shortcomings.

Not sure what Onomah is going to give us. Not that quick. Not a great dribbler. Not big and powerful. Not that great in air. Although it is early days it all seems fairly average, and I can't see what he might become very good at with experience.

He clearly has a lot of talent, but he's severely lacking in first team experience. At his age last year Alli had a couple of seasons of first team football in the lower leagues in him.

We trust young players now. Pochettino has done really well for us, Southampton and Espanyol with that strategy. Why should we stop now?

He is a central midfielder all day long. Playing him in the attacking positions is a waste of time as it does him no favours. But as everyone says "in Poch we trust"

He clearly has a lot of talent, but he's severely lacking in first team experience. At his age last year Alli had a couple of seasons of first team football in the lower leagues in him.

We trust young players now. Pochettino has done really well for us, Southampton and Espanyol with that strategy. Why should we stop now?

i don't think we should stop. But some players -Alli - look like they have something special that can be developed with right coaching and experience. I'm not sure what that "something" is with Onomah.

He is a central midfielder all day long. Playing him in the attacking positions is a waste of time as it does him no favours. But as everyone says "in Poch we trust"

Has been playing as a #10 for both our youth team and for England youth teams when I've seen him. Might end up deeper with time, but it's way too early to be classifying him as only this type of player or that type of player. He has the potential to develop in several directions.

Also quite common to give young players game time in roles and positions with less defensive responsibility at first. Slight lower risk and more freedom to express themselves on the ball.

i don't think we should stop. But some players -Alli - look like they have something special that can be developed with right coaching and experience. I'm not sure what that "something" is with Onomah.

People have been wrong about enough young players in recent years for me to be very doubtful of claims like this.

He seems to have a good physique, athletic and quite quick though obviously not rapid. Very good with the ball at his feet and creative. I'm sure Pochettino will demand top class work rate on top of that.

Has been playing as a #10 for both our youth team and for England youth teams when I've seen him. Might end up deeper with time, but it's way too early to be classifying him as only this type of player or that type of player. He has the potential to develop in several directions.

Also quite common to give young players game time in roles and positions with less defensive responsibility at first. Slight lower risk and more freedom to express themselves on the ball.

I can agree with that but as I said it's not doing him any favours because he is looking out of his depth in the attacking positions. It would be sad to see his development and confidence suffer due to poor performances and criticism from fans and the media

This balance between young ones and winning something will be driving a lot of discussions on here methinks

Sent from my SM-G930F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I've been saying this for a while - at worst he looks massively over-hyper and destined to be another Parrett/Bostock; if you're being kind you'd say that he's just not ready yet. I dont see what the point is of having him on the bench for league games - he doesnt look remotely able to change a game or add anything yet. We'd of been better off having Chadli on the bench today, or even Edwards given that the latter offers something different

Back