• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

He is like some of our other young players we have had come through he just needs time to find his feet, lets give it to him.

I remember reading someone say you need to get to 50 games before you feel comfortable to show your true self, though the lad up at man u is showing the are exceptions to the rule.

^He needs to get games under his belt. Dont underestimate the effect of playing consistently on a young player. He is not good enough to get consistent games at Spurs yet.

^He needs to get games under his belt. Dont underestimate the effect of playing consistently on a young player. He is not good enough to get consistent games at Spurs yet.

He's good enough to be thrown in with 10 minutes left in vital PL games for us when we're up by a single goal.

Don't underestimate the effect of getting to play football every day in training under Pochettino and our coaches at our world class training facility playing with his team mates working on our style of football either.

I'm certain we could have sent him out on a loan in January if we wanted to. Why do you think Pochettino chose to keep him with us instead?

He's good enough to be thrown in with 10 minutes left in vital PL games for us when we're up by a single goal.

Don't underestimate the effect of getting to play football every day in training under Pochettino and our coaches at our world class training facility playing with his team mates working on our style of football either.

I'm certain we could have sent him out on a loan in January if we wanted to. Why do you think Pochettino chose to keep him with us instead?

Perhaps cos we didn't sign anyone and had already let Pritchard go on loan? Would have left us very short squad wise.

Perhaps cos we didn't sign anyone and had already let Pritchard go on loan? Would have left us very short squad wise.

Except when Pochettino has used him from the bench he's actually had other options available to him.

"Had already let Pritchard go on loan". Pritchard left on February 1st, and there had been no indication of Onomah leaving before that.

Simple fact is that Pochettino rates him. Like he showed today.

Except when Pochettino has used him from the bench he's actually had other options available to him.

"Had already let Pritchard go on loan". Pritchard left on February 1st, and there had been no indication of Onomah leaving before that.

Simple fact is that Pochettino rates him. Like he showed today.

You are off on your " Poch rates him"mantra again. Has anyone on here said they don't rate him? Do you think he will be in our squad next season or out on loan?

You are off on your " Poch rates him"mantra again. Has anyone on here said they don't rate him? Do you think he will be in our squad next season or out on loan?

But Poch seemingly rates him higher than you do... Because you keep claiming that he's only getting game time, or was kept around, because our squad is small. That's just not the case.

We're a goal up against Swansea in a key game. Poch can put on Bentaleb. Or he can put on Trippier or Davies in a wide midfield role to make sure we're solid. Nope. He puts on Onomah.
1-1 away to Arsenal heading into injury time. Again, Carroll, Trippier and Davies on the bench. Pochettino goes for Onomah.
Both home FA-cup games he started Pochettino had other options available. Yet he chose to start Onomah.

Yet you keep coming back to Pritchard (again, loaned out on deadline day!), and January signings (when the attacking signing that looked the most likely was 19 year old Dembele - hardly someone that was certain to make an immediate impact). Seemingly you're looking for any other explanation than the obvious one of why Onomah is getting game time... So yes, I will go off on my "Poch rates him" mantra again. Because your reasoning doesn't hold up in my opinion.

Next season could be a different kettle of fish. Seems likely that we will be in the Champions League and with a title challenge behind us we might be more attractive to and try to go for some top quality player. Wouldn't be surprised if Onomah was sent out on loan, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's kept around and given more game time.

What will you say if he's not sent out on loan come the summer?

I
But Poch seemingly rates him higher than you do... Because you keep claiming that he's only getting game time, or was kept around, because our squad is small. That's just not the case.

We're a goal up against Swansea in a key game. Poch can put on Bentaleb. Or he can put on Trippier or Davies in a wide midfield role to make sure we're solid. Nope. He puts on Onomah.
1-1 away to Arsenal heading into injury time. Again, Carroll, Trippier and Davies on the bench. Pochettino goes for Onomah.
Both home FA-cup games he started Pochettino had other options available. Yet he chose to start Onomah.

Yet you keep coming back to Pritchard (again, loaned out on deadline day!), and January signings (when the attacking signing that looked the most likely was 19 year old Dembele - hardly someone that was certain to make an immediate impact). Seemingly you're looking for any other explanation than the obvious one of why Onomah is getting game time... So yes, I will go off on my "Poch rates him" mantra again. Because your reasoning doesn't hold up in my opinion.

Next season could be a different kettle of fish. Seems likely that we will be in the Champions League and with a title challenge behind us we might be more attractive to and try to go for some top quality player. Wouldn't be surprised if Onomah was sent out on loan, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's kept around and given more game time.

What will you say if he's not sent out on loan come the summer?

I will be disappointed if he doesnt go out on loan next season for a few reasons. First, for his own development he needs game time at a high level. He is unlikely to get that here at the moment. Second, he is in competition with players in the three behind Kane - imo at the moment he is behind Eriksen, Lamela, Dembele, Alli, Son, Chadli and even Mason/Caroll for a start in those positions. Third, at this stage of the season where every game is virtually a cup final, he should not start in front of more experienced players who have shown that they have already done it this season. Fourth, he has now had quite a few minutes on the pitch and yet still does not have a goal or an assist to his credit - so if we are talking about those deserving to start - all the aforementioned are goalscorers and assisters this season and therefore logically should be ahead of him imo. That is not to say he is a bad player or that I don't rate him, just that imo he is not ready yet and is behind better players in his development.

Your examples of when Poch brought him on in games simply means he opted for a more attacking option to try and win games (or score more) than the more defensive options available to him. Not at all unreasonable and I have already said that Onomah represents an option off the bench but not a starting option at this stage of the season. Poch is simply using the squad that is available to him in the best way possible and as circumstances dictate. We were fairly thin on the ground with injuries meaning some options are not available to him at this time and rotation is required to guard against burn out.

My final reason for being disappointed if he doesn't go out on loan next season is that it will again mean we have failed to strengthen our squad in key positions. We have too many AMs at the moment and with CL beckoning (hopefully) I hope we will make key signings in key positions that will better equip us to handle the rigours of CL football.

I wouldn't try and 2nd guess what Poch is gonna do with players next season. We went from Mason and Bentaleb first choice central midfield, to Dier and Dembele, with Carroll going above Bentaleb in the pecking order. I don't think many saw that coming.

I will be disappointed if he doesnt go out on loan next season for a few reasons. First, for his own development he needs game time at a high level. He is unlikely to get that here at the moment. Second, he is in competition with players in the three behind Kane - imo at the moment he is behind Eriksen, Lamela, Dembele, Alli, Son, Chadli and even Mason/Caroll for a start in those positions. Third, at this stage of the season where every game is virtually a cup final, he should not start in front of more experienced players who have shown that they have already done it this season. Fourth, he has now had quite a few minutes on the pitch and yet still does not have a goal or an assist to his credit - so if we are talking about those deserving to start - all the aforementioned are goalscorers and assisters this season and therefore logically should be ahead of him imo. That is not to say he is a bad player or that I don't rate him, just that imo he is not ready yet and is behind better players in his development.

Your examples of when Poch brought him on in games simply means he opted for a more attacking option to try and win games (or score more) than the more defensive options available to him. Not at all unreasonable and I have already said that Onomah represents an option off the bench but not a starting option at this stage of the season. Poch is simply using the squad that is available to him in the best way possible and as circumstances dictate. We were fairly thin on the ground with injuries meaning some options are not available to him at this time and rotation is required to guard against burn out.

My final reason for being disappointed if he doesn't go out on loan next season is that it will again mean we have failed to strengthen our squad in key positions. We have too many AMs at the moment and with CL beckoning (hopefully) I hope we will make key signings in key positions that will better equip us to handle the rigours of CL football.

Reason one depends on how Pochettino sees things next season. Difficult to predict I'd say. Reason two is essentially the same as reason one.

Reason 3 and 4 has nothing to do with next season...

It's not just an issue of a more attacking option. Like when he started Onomah ahead of Chadli against Palace.

On strengthening the squad. I don't agree with your premise or your conclusion. I think it's possible for us to strengthen in the summer and still find room for Onomah in the squad. How you can claim to know at this stage what Pochettino will think on this come the summer just seems strange to me.

And again. One of the things Pochettino seems to do brilliantly is play youngsters even when they've not done enough yet to prove that they're good enough. You seemingly only want us to give Onomah a place in the first team squad once he's proved himself away on a loan that he's actually ready for that. But that's just not how Pochettino operates. That's not what he did with Alli. That's not what he did with Dier. I'd say it's not even what he did with Wimmer. Certainly not what he did with Mason and Bentaleb last season. This is where I talk about how Pochettino trusts the players (he rates) - not just that I trust Pochettino. That trust Pochettino shows in those young players is important for their development.

I find your certainty that a loan would be best for his development puzzling @Pirate55 . Maybe it is just the tendency of internet discussions to amplify one's views and it is my mistake for taking what you are saying at face value. I can understand why someone might think that a loan might be a good idea but to be so certain that is what he needs that you would be disappointed if it didn't happen seems a little extreme.

People seem to be trying to turn this into a Pirate v Poch argument. It really isn't. No one knows for certain what will happen next season. I am simply suggesting that in my opinion the best for Onomah and for us would be a period out on loan. We will all have to wait and see what Poch decides.

I can't answer for anyone else but I am not trying to turn it into a @Pirate55 v Pochetino argument.

As I said in my last post, I have just been puzzled by the certainty with which you have said that he needs a loan when we have so little information to go on and do not know the personality of the player or Poch's plans for his development.

People seem to be trying to turn this into a Pirate v Poch argument. It really isn't. No one knows for certain what will happen next season. I am simply suggesting that in my opinion the best for Onomah and for us would be a period out on loan. We will all have to wait and see what Poch decides.

You're doing that yourself mate by making statements like you will be disappointed if he's not loaned out in the summer and bombastic statements like "he's not ready yet" talking about next season.

You asked others about what we would think if Pochettino sent him out on loan, I haven't seen anyone on the other side of this argument be as certain as you have been on your side.

So gutted for him he didnt convert that chance yesterday, hopefully Glenda'sLegs is spot on and he scores the winner on Saturday.

Tbh thought it was a great sub yesterday, came on and did well some great little touches and looks comfortable on the ball. Just needs that first goal to get him really buzzing

So gutted for him he didnt convert that chance yesterday, hopefully Glenda'sLegs is spot on and he scores the winner on Saturday.

Tbh thought it was a great sub yesterday, came on and did well some great little touches and looks comfortable on the ball. Just needs that first goal to get him really buzzing

The radio commentary said that he made a good run in that situation but (I think it was Walker) didn't see the run and delayed the pass, which made the chance much harder unnecessarily....is that true from what you saw?

Agreed. Just lacking a bit of confidence and belief in front of goal. You could see it bothered him not to get a goal against Palace. Was a good strike yesterday too, just couldn't get it on target.

Has already taken big steps from the player that started getting game time earlier this season. Then he looked a bit like a youth player getting minutes, now he's starting to show that he deserves the game time he's getting.
The step up for a player that's never played competitive first team football into the PL must be huge. But we've seen Bentaleb make that step from our academy/development squad in the past and Onomah is making a good job of doing the same.

The radio commentary said that he made a good run in that situation but (I think it was Walker) didn't see the run and delayed the pass, which made the chance much harder unnecessarily....is that true from what you saw?

Only seen it once on the jumbotron, just seemed it sliced off his boot, got unlucky. But it's coming he is going to nail one very soon...this weekend would be epic.

Back