• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Appreciate the work Southgate has done making the team more likeable, more resilient and better at penalties but time to move on and let someone more progressive take over the mantle. Kane’s place should be under threat also IMO.
Who can take lanes place?
Someone said to me he should leave it to the younger guys and who are they?

Toney is 28
Watkins is 28
Both are 2 years younger than Kane
Solanke is 26

It’s slim pickings

Toney is 28
Watkins is 28
Solanke is 26

It’s slim pickings

Watkins or Toney are the obvious ones. I’m not saying he should be on the bench every game but I wouldn’t be against starting a few games with Watkins. He seems to be more effective playing for England than Kane who doesn’t really do anything. It’s criminal how little Kane creates or uninvolved he is in the buildup. Cant remember which game it was but Saka cut it back to the six yard box/penalty spot more than once and Kane was nowhere to be seen. For someone with Kane’s intelligence and range of passing it’s damning how ineffective he is in big games. Thought the same when he played for spurs as well. He wasn’t the only one tonight who didn’t turn up mind.

Watkins or Toney are the obvious ones. I’m not saying he should be on the bench every game but I wouldn’t be against starting a few games with Watkins. He seems to be more effective playing for England than Kane who doesn’t really do anything. It’s criminal how little Kane creates or uninvolved he is in the buildup. Cant remember which game it was but Saka cut it back to the six yard box/penalty spot more than once and Kane was nowhere to be seen. For someone with Kane’s intelligence and range of passing it’s damning how ineffective he is in big games. Thought the same when he played for spurs as well. He wasn’t the only one tonight who didn’t turn up mind.
He cut it back and the first defender cleared it
Those cut backs were crap
They looked better because it was some intent but honestly the passes were shocking

We didn't play to Kane's strengths, That is obvious (Having no left winger or left footed full back on that side was tinkle poor management...., but I'm still expecting the "Kane wasn't fully recovered from his back injured but we wanted to give him every chance blah blah"

He cut it back and the first defender cleared it
Those cut backs were crap
They looked better because it was some intent but honestly the passes were shocking

Do you think Kane’s overall performances have been good enough at this tournament? Service aside, how about his play in finals? 5 finals now and zero goals or assists.

Toney is 28
Watkins is 28
Solanke is 26

It’s slim pickings

Moreover, Kane just became the target of commentators and fans. A fresh sub always looks more lively and analysts end up thinking they are better (Watkins coming on). Yet Watkins faffed up a very decent opening and didn't control the ball. The sort of opening that Kane tucks away with aplomb. Kane was not the issue.

The issue was the team setup, shape, and confidence. You never felt like players knew where others would be. Always had to pause and look. That was the greatest issue. We reverted to a low block, and weren't able to impose our game apart from when trailing. And when we were behind, we looked excellent, able to score in most instances. That tells me this side have what it takes, but needed help setting up to hold and control the ball better (co-ordination and practice passing out from the back). It is that simple.

Do you think Kane’s overall performances have been good enough at this tournament? Service aside, how about his play in finals? 5 finals now and zero goals or assists.
No
But the hype around the other players is wrong too
If people think the striker is the issue in a team where the creative players don’t pass to him I think there are bigger issues

Sakas game was and is get he ball and either
A) win a foul
B) run inside and pass to the left back eventually
C) chase it to the byline and hit the first defender (not the one nearest our CF)
D) run to try to get a shot off

Foden… I’ll be everywhere but not really in attack. I’ll look like I’m attacking because every now and then ill have a shot

Bellingham… I run a lot but I have to beat at least two men before attempting a pass

Kane was coming back to pass the ball to these maestros who then passed it sideways rather than forwards

And that’s with them knowing Kane ain’t fit

England didn’t lose because of Kane

We lost because despite having players who can keep the ball we persist with players who don’t. It’s a tactical thing

Pickford attempted more passes to an England striker than any player… all tournament. That says a LOT

We didn't play to Kane's strengths, That is obvious (Having no left winger or left footed full back on that side was tinkle poor management...., but I'm still expecting the "Kane wasn't fully recovered from his back injured but we wanted to give him every chance blah blah"
That’s already out there
Southgate said it after the game
What he hasn’t said is why his midfield and defence can’t pass well enough

That’s already out there

Or defend. Spain progressed the ball directly down the middle multiple times.

Had men over outside multiple times, most notably for their goals.

There is no spine to that team, England don’t have the players for it.

That’s already out there

Could be most of them play for a team where the controlling midfield players are overseas players and they look to pass to them in difficult situations, most of our players first instinct is to stop the ball then look up for a pass, no understand where each other should be. You see very few teams where a midfield player calls for the ball from centreback who is 5 yards from them and then immediately return it to them, we do it all the time, that is not being in control its indecisive.

As the game evolves it might not need to be any of them, we might get a manager who has an idea which means playing Palmer there and having Bellingham ghost in like he does for Real. If it mean it also bought in the other attacking talent around them like Foden etc then its already a better set up and attacking threat to what we saw in this tournament.

I love Kane but his lack of mobility yesterday was the worse I have seen, was genuinely shocking and maybe it was injury or not but its likely now time to think of succession plans.

I felt sorry for Foden, genuinely one of the best young talents we have in the game and the art to him is getting him in areas in and around the opposition box, I am 99.9% sure he likely had more touches round ours than theirs. Having to pick the ball up 30 yards from his own box all game, its just not going to work. I actually rate Saka and the same issues applied for him, playing almost secondary RB with walker, its just never going to hurt the opposition

Last edited:
I know almost all of the squad underperformed but has anyone mentioned just how poor Rice was this tournament?

Coming into the tournament all the talk was who would partner Rice in midfield with Trent, Gallagher blowing their chances and finally Mainoo doing reasonably well there, However I could see a future where Wharton or some other youngsters coming through oust Rice based on these kind of performances.

I know almost all of the squad underperformed but has anyone mentioned just how poor Rice was this tournament?

Coming into the tournament all the talk was who would partner Rice in midfield with Trent, Gallagher blowing their chances and finally Mainoo doing reasonably well there, However I could see a future where Wharton or some other youngsters coming through oust Rice based on these kind of performances.

I will get shot here, but I don't think he did bad at all, he did HIS JOB which is always the same, the issue comes where he is seemingly taking the blame for others not doing theirs and the fact that we played such a negative brand of football. If we played 20 yards further up the pitch and he did exactly the same work, as he does with Arsenal, people would not have said a thing IMO. I think he was actually fine.

On the subject, I thought Stones and Pickford were two of our best to come out of the tournament, I have actually grown to be a fan pf Pickford, I think he is very handy

Yeah, my sons best mate (gooner) came round to watch game and he said that Rice has been poor and the worse he's seen him play this season.

Back