• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

I play with it, but he’s Englands most successful manager ever, by a fudging mile.

He's also got Kane & Bellingham who even when they don't contribute are often marked/double marked giving others space.

And he's got a bench, that is probably the massive difference of this generation of England -> Tony, Watkins, Palmer, Gallagher, Shaw, Gordon, Bowen are all subs, a lot of ability to change the game and/or maintain levels

It will always divide opinion, and history means nothing, my opinion is Southgate gets the bare minimum out of this side, he doesn't make it better and outside of 15 minute periods, his sides are a fudging chore to watch.

Winning a World Cup trumps getting to semi finals and finals. If Southgate wins this Euros you can make a case for him being above Ramsey given that we’re not on home soil. But then a World Cup has everyone in it not just European teams.

It was at a time when all footballers were drinking and smoking though, with the game in its tactical infancy and down to some dodgy officiating.

It’s certainly a strong argument though, I get it.

Personally I’d go with the average.

If you show your studs, at height in the box, it's a pen for me all day.

If you tackle someone late, outside the penalty area, it's a free kick every time. Why shouldn't it be inside the area?
I’m not an England supporter and am ambivalent about international football in general (I’m looking forward to the Euros being over so that we can get back to proper football!), so I’ve no skin in the game…

FWIW, I cannot understand how that was a penalty last night. Kane kicked the bloke’s foot after he had shot. Plenty on here talking about how you ‘can’t challenge with studs up’; it wasn’t a challenge, though - it was an attempt to block the ball…and I’m not sure how you’re supposed to do that without lifting your foot up.

The reason there was contact was because Kane followed through after the shot. Apart from him then rolling around, I don’t think there was a serious appeal from the England players; the commentators (usually very biased in these circumstances with England) didn’t even refer to it potentially being a penalty to begin with, and both they and the ‘expert’ quickly agreed it was never a penalty once they looked at the replays.

A different narrative is now developing - but if that had been given against England, and they’d been knocked out of the tournament as a result, we’d be hearing regularly in the media about what a travesty the decision was until the next major tournament rolled around!

(As it is, the better team went through anyhow, so maybe justice was done.)

Winning a World Cup trumps getting to semi finals and finals. If Southgate wins this Euros you can make a case for him being above Ramsey given that we’re not on home soil. But then a World Cup has everyone in it not just European teams.
Agree
But the euros has better teams than the World Cup

Not sure I agree. The World Cup has all most/all of the big nations from Europe and the likes of Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay etc. some of them may be at low ebbs right now but they’re never pushovers.
European teams are better than the South American teams
There have been great SA in the past but the standard has dropped there

I’m not an England supporter and am ambivalent about international football in general (I’m looking forward to the Euros being over so that we can get back to proper football!), so I’ve no skin in the game…

FWIW, I cannot understand how that was a penalty last night. Kane kicked the bloke’s foot after he had shot. Plenty on here talking about how you ‘can’t challenge with studs up’; it wasn’t a challenge, though - it was an attempt to block the ball…and I’m not sure how you’re supposed to do that without lifting your foot up.

The reason there was contact was because Kane followed through after the shot. Apart from him then rolling around, I don’t think there was a serious appeal from the England players; the commentators (usually very biased in these circumstances with England) didn’t even refer to it potentially being a penalty to begin with, and both they and the ‘expert’ quickly agreed it was never a penalty once they looked at the replays.

A different narrative is now developing - but if that had been given against England, and they’d been knocked out of the tournament as a result, we’d be hearing regularly in the media about what a travesty the decision was until the next major tournament rolled around!

If the defender gets there first and Kane kicks him a FK the other way.

What he’s supposed to do is either get there first or block with his body not the bottom of his foot.

It's relative though, they were the elite playing the elite.
It's not like a team from a bygone era playing a modern team.

it is relative to some degree, but its exponentially more complicated now

you can't succeed by getting one or two things right now, you have to get a thousand things right just to be contention

Going to not only disagree but give you my reasons why (always helpfulin discussion I know LOL)...

1) Kane has eyes only for the ball. He is looking to play the ball. He does. His motion ends up in contact.
2) Dumfries does not solely have eyes on playing the ball, only on stopping Kane.
3) Dumfries leg goes towards the action with studs showing.
4) He does not connect with the ball, instead he and Kane have a 'leg/foot' collision.

If Dumfries looks to block sideways, if he even approaches that with his foot down, it is absolutely an attempt to block the ball and is not in any way wreckless.
When you lead with studs like that, you're playing a percentage and not particularly bothered if that percentage causes your opponant an injury. That is absolutely worthy of being wreckless.

There has been much debate about how 'if that is a penalty today than the game has gone'...so be it. Maybe the game has gone. But it is reckless because the studs are showing. Whenever you make a challenge with studs showing, you are asking the referee to make a decision. I shouted for the foul instantly and was alarmed the ref didn't whistle. I was actually relieved that VAR stepped in.

I understand it is a game of opinions, but TBH, the furor over this has resonated with some sort of anti-Kane bias (i.e. another stick to beat him with - we English always have to beat someone with some sort of stick!)...I am absolutely NOT referring this discussion Mikey as I think it's a really interesting one and you're never that person. I'm talking about the national 'outrage'.

I found Dumfries interview/comments telling. Whilst he didn't think it was a pen, he accepted how some could see it as one.

Wright was the only one that go it right on the commentary, anywhere else on the pitch, that's a foul. Bitch about it being soft, but blocking a volley pegs up is not allowed ..

100% IMO. I screamed for it in the bar I was at, people looked at me and told me I was wrong, then the replays came, then the decision was given. Once I pointed to the studs, most saw that perspective. I am not sure people realise how close to being a bad injury for Kane that was...

My thoughts as well.

Back