• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

1. Under Southgate we lack some conviction. Similar to the second half against Italy, we beat ourselves, by not going for it and believing we can dominate. There is a psychological niceness/timid, they lack ruthlessness under Southgate.

2. Shaw, Saka, Mount, Pickford are not really good enough yet. All good players but needed more from them. Southgate need to pull more out of them.

We didn’t score from open play and we didn’t move the ball fast enough.
Southgate’s ok, hits par, but we lose to any “better” or equal ability team we play against.

I’m in 2 minds though as that’s still progression to any England manager we’ve had since Hoddle.

Southgate’s ok, hits par, but we lose to any “better” or equal ability team we play against.

I’m in 2 minds though as that’s still progression to any England manager we’ve had since Hoddle.

I think he’s a decent manager but a terrible psychologist. And a huge part of the job, especially in pressure games is psychology.

I thought he also left the subs 10 mins too late. We tired, left space and conceded the second goal.

Southgate is fine, the quality isn't there in enough positions that matter, the midfield options are weak, only two good forwards in Kane and Rashford.

Would have been a massive upset to have beaten France, they were really poor tonight themselves it must be said.

Southgate is fine, the quality isn't there in enough positions that matter, the midfield options are weak, only two good forwards in Kane and Rashford.

Would have been a massive upset to have beaten France, they were really poor tonight themselves it must be said.
Nah, we’re better than France, thought it before the game and the 90 minutes showed it and we didn’t even play that well. Just lack belief, that comes from the management.

Yes, I agree. I think any change of manager is more likely to weaken us than strenghen us. He's a passable manager - could be more attacking, but done ok

We're really lacking at CB, and lack depth in CM. I dont think SOuthgate makes the most of the number of decent attackers which we have, but not much you can do if you CBs are poor

I was a bit surprised this afternoon when Southgate mentioned he doesn't do any pre-match pep talks etc., He said something like oh no, at this point they all know what they need to do and I leave that up to Harry!
Is that normal in modern football?? Surely there's still some merit to a coach putting a rocket up them before they go out no?

I was a bit surprised this afternoon when Southgate mentioned he doesn't do any pre-match pep talks etc., He said something like oh no, at this point they all know what they need to do and I leave that up to Harry!
Is that normal in modern football?? Surely there's still some merit to a coach putting a rocket up them before they go out no?
I must admit Harry's pep talks when Hugo was out injured when the Amazon doc was being filmed were not exactly inspiring!

A bit too passive. It’s controlled and focused. But the anger that say Conte injects is missing. We’re too nice. And we miss a few elite players in 2-3 positions - but all national teams share that. The difference is conviction and determination. How we lost the euros to Italy was shocking. All psychological.

And for a "great" as his record is he accounts for wins against Tunisia, Iran, Wales Colombia on Pens and Senegal in World Cups....its all abit padded but we lose the first big game in every tournament we hit. He is soft

I must admit Harry's pep talks when Hugo was out injured when the Amazon doc was being filmed were not exactly inspiring!

Yeah I thought the same, But some ex-player on the radio recently did say the players like his captaining style and he talks a lot of sense in the changing room. Who knows? I was just thinking those players play so much better when they are up for it and moving the ball quickly but they only started a couple of matches well with high intensity etc.

I don’t mind Stones and McGuire. Obviously not up there with the very best CBS but decent, reliable. For me the weaknesses are both flanks. Shaw, Walker, Saka, Mount don’t offer enough in attack. Walker is solid defensively. Saka and Mount inconsistent and need time to develop. Although Saka did quite well tonight. None of these players deliver enough in an attacking sense.

Yes, also Benzema, Pogba, Kimpembe, Kante were injured too before the world cup

We really lack depth in CB and CM
Yes of course, but that’s nothing to do with tonight’s game or what I’m saying anyway. We had the better side going in to this game and performed better on the night.

And for a "great" as his record is he accounts for wins against Tunisia, Iran, Wales Colombia on Pens and Senegal in World Cups....its all abit padded but we lose the first big game in every tournament we hit. He is soft

Always been to a much better team though, without Kane England would likely not qualify, let alone get out of the group.

He won’t make the big calls
Saka was awful last week… we win and he scored so he starts his again
Today first half Saka was scared and went backwards to Henderson every time in case he got fouled (which he did)
Second half he was a different player as Kane dropped deeper and he could run off the ball but he should have been off at half time IMO for Rashford

Always been to a much better team though, without Kane England would likely not qualify, let alone get out of the group.

I would hardly say that, I would say Croatia, Italy and France were the first on par side, and again we failed, we lack that belief and edge as others have said.

Placid Southgate had a good run, give someone with an edge a go

Back