• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

What is your problem with him Kd?

With him? nothing but i think i have a problem with the people that like to overrate his performances to such a ridiculous level when he had nothing to do. He was solid yesterday so a 6.5/7 rating is about right (bar the miscommunication with him and Caulker again).

With him? nothing but i think i have a problem with the people that like to overrate his performances to such a ridiculous level when he had nothing to do. He was solid yesterday so a 6.5/7 rating is about right (bar the miscommunication with him and Caulker again).

didn't have much to do 'on the ball' ie making saves - but his distribution was great i thought, often setting up some quick attacks and picking out the front players with long kicks. was strong in the air claiming crosses - can certainly see why some will give him higher than a 7.

what does it really matter anyway if people over rate him? seems a pointless task to pick up on every comment you deem to be over the top, if you ask me ;)

didn't have much to do 'on the ball' ie making saves - but his distribution was great i thought, often setting up some quick attacks and picking out the front players with long kicks. was strong in the air claiming crosses - can certainly see why some will give him higher than a 7.

what does it really matter anyway if people over rate him? seems a pointless task to pick up on every comment you deem to be over the top, if you ask me and is just furthering what has become a rather tedious Lloris/Friedel debate ;)

A combination of him and Caulker nearly cost us a goal again.

Fair enough I don't remember that, but I take your word for it. It might take a while for other players to realise we have a keeper who commands his area unlike Brad, and let Hugo be the Boss that he is.

I think giving him 6.5 is under rating and I don't think 9 is overrating a superb display of keeping that he gave, again.

Fair enough I don't remember that, but I take your word for it. It might take a while for other players to realise we have a keeper who commands his area unlike Brad, and let Hugo be the Boss that he is.

From what I remember, Caulker passed the ball back to him which put Lloris under unnecessary pressure. Dawson did it once as well.

I think giving him 6.5 is under rating and I don't think 9 is overrating a superb display of keeping that he gave, again.

I know what KD is getting at.

If the default rating for a keeper is 6 then Lloris probably deserves a 7 - simply because he didnt need to do much as opposed to his performance being brick.

Everything he needed to do he did very well but its all few and far between.

Saying Lloris was superb is giving the impression that Stoke hammered us and that Lloris was a one man barrier

Caulker needs to listen to his calls more.

Saying Lloris was superb is giving the impression that Stoke hammered us and that Lloris was a one man barrier

a general question here - can a goalkeeper only have a 'superb' performance if he has a lot of saves to make?

think it's interesting that GKs seemingly only get rated on one aspect of their game, well only attributed positively by the saves they make - if a GK was flapping at crosses, failing to close down and having sloppy distribution id imaging he'd get marked down for that, but you are less likely to see positive scores when they do well in those areas

what does it really matter anyway if people over rate him? seems a pointless task to pick up on every comment you deem to be over the top, if you ask me and is just furthering what has become a rather tedious Lloris/Friedel debate ;)

it can get annoying. especially when its at the expense of another player thats given solid service.

its not a lloris friedel thing. its a hypocrisy thing more often than not..rating brad down for very very little and stupid things and rating lloris UP for minor things

it isnt fair, its isnt consistent and it can get annoying. and sometimes i get the feeling people are happy when the team suffers so they can have a go at the scape goat

i am very cynical yes LOL...but joking aside i think thats a gist of what annoys me about the whole thing

a general question here - can a goalkeeper only have a 'superb' performance if he has a lot of saves to make?

think it's interesting that GKs seemingly only get rated on one aspect of their game, well only attributed positively by the saves they make - if a GK was flapping at crosses, failing to close down and having sloppy distribution id imaging he'd get marked down for that, but you are less likely to see positive scores when they do well in those areas

more often than not yes, or if he is heavily involved in build up..and by heavily i mean to the level of vorm on some occasions or valdes for barca or reina on occasion for liverpool..and it has to be noticeable.....then there are others things like judgement and positioning being displayed REGULARLY.

if you dont have much to do then you cannot be superb...i dont see the logic in being amazing when you dont do superb or amazing things

@Billyiddo...._right there , in bold...brick like that is right up there with what i meant.

notice also how its everyone elses fault cause now its the players that are at fault , not hugo for anything that goes wrong.

but hats off to the line "let HUGO be the BOSS that he is"....nice touch, i like that LOL. papers are going to steal that when lloris REALLY has work to do

more often than not yes, or if he is heavily involved in build up..and by heavily i mean to the level of vorm on some occasions or valdes for barca or reina on occasion for liverpool..and it has to be noticeable.....then there are others things like judgement and positioning being displayed REGULARLY.

if you dont have much to do then you cannot be superb...i dont see the logic in being amazing when you dont do superb or amazing things

im not talking about Lloris or the Stoke game here, just goalkeeping in general.

if a goalkeeper only has one or two saves to make i still think he can have a superb game by doing the rest of the stuff to a high standard - commanding his box, distribution, claiming crosses etc

in fairness it's probably the hardest position to score accurately

edit : africanspur - yeah i see what you're saying with comments like that, no real need to be knocking Brad in order to praise Lloris, poor form

Last edited:

How about dominating his area, claiming crosses, racing off his line to thwart danger? Lloris made no saves against Swansea for example but he stopped us from conceding a near certain goal in the very last minute.

No I meant every player has a default rating of 5/6 right? Then how do they perform will then move that rating up or down. Unfortunately a keeper is judged on what he does but what he does can only be determined by what the opposition do and essentially how our defense is performing. If our defense performs at 8's then I would expect our keeper to have a 6/7 rating. Its a bit like giving Defoe a 4 when he doesnt have any impact because he never got the passes or the chances etc. Which would be unfair on him.

I think a keeper may well have a different rating system than the outfield players then again I think defenders should have a different rating system to midfielders and in turn to strikers. They should all be judged on different ratings and merits

^ yes but what a goalkeeper does isn't only limited to making saves

Lloris for example yesterday, i thought his distribution was spot on which helped set up several attacking moves, he was strong in the air and saved the shots he was given to deal with. to me it was a good performance

Last edited:
Friedel will probably make more saves than Lloris as Hugo often looks to stop the danger before saving a shot is even required.

Example 1: Opposition play a through ball cutting our defence open, Friedel stays on his line, player shoots, Friedel makes a good save

Example 2: Opposition play a through ball cutting our defence open, Lloris sprints off his line to claim the ball before the player gets a shot off

One goes down as having made a great save, the other gets ignored by some. The Friedel example is relevant here so it's not me using him to beat a stick with, it's just they have very different styles of goalkeeping.

Back