• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

And I feel the same about the way so many people played down Lloris, a world class player and probably the biggest signing ENIC have ever made, and yet didn't get anywhere near the reception he deserved, and the idea that Brad was on his level, really grated with me. hugo is much better than Brad and i like Brad BTW

now i can see where YOU are coming from now.

seems like both of us are engineered to have a certain outlook on both keepers for different yet similar reasons

biggest signing enic have ever made? world class keeper?

i dont see it personally, but thats just me

What's stupid is the paper rating a keeper playing as well as Hugo with 6, but if you think I'm being stupid fine, you seemed to think there wasn't much to choose between Brad and Hugo IIRC.

yep , at the time i said it i stand by it. BOTH in their overall displays were for me virtually indistinguishable as far as game performance scoring goes. just cause one does things differently than another doesnt make one better than the other automatically

brad was constantly getting knocked by people on here because he had good positioning and anticipation of shots. people keep saying he had little to do saves wise or that the shots were straight at him. rubbish

then blaming goals on him and not considering the team aspect of things.

very annoying

right now though it is clear that lloris is a much more spring chicken than brad......and just like brad is a solid goal keeper

i still dont see the schmeicel in him though..this undisputed world class tag ...i dont see it

It was Garth Crooks' team of the week and this is what he said:

Hugo Lloris makes my team of the week for the first time after a clean sheet against Swansea that is worthy of recognition. It's not been an easy transition for the Spurs keeper since his arrival from France, especially with Brad Friedel breathing down his neck.
Did you know? Lloris (63%) has managed a better saves-to-shots percentage than club rival Friedel (60%) this season in the Premier League.

seems like a sentimental inclusion to me

but i respect garth crooks judgement either way....if he feels he deserved to be in team of the week then lloris did

The Lloris/Brad thing seems to be a trip back to the Keane/Defoe days ... for some people, to say one was good, meant the other was brick ... which was never the case.

AS, interesting your views with Lloris, you usually pick up the larger picture, which is where I think Lloris shines.

For me

- Gomes is probably our best shot stopper, the guy who will make the impossible save. Problem is he is inconsistent, will cost you points, and has the back line nervous
- Brad is the least likely to cost you points in the traditional (fudge up) sense, very dependable, day in, day out. Brad's main weakness/flaw is he sticks to his line, it puts us under a lot of pressure if the opponents keep pumping high balls into box. Brad worked best with some combination of King/Kaboul/Dawson (all very good in air) in front of him.
- Lloris for me has the potential to be better than both, he will make saves Brad may have not gotten to, but fudge up less than Gomes (he will make mistakes though as his style is a little risky). His true strength is the number of opposition opportunities he kills off before they happen by coming early and often for the ball. He much more than the other two, contributes when little else is happening (i.e. direct shots on goal).

The Lloris/Brad thing seems to be a trip back to the Keane/Defoe days ... for some people, to say one was good, meant the other was brick ... which was never the case.

AS, interesting your views with Lloris, you usually pick up the larger picture, which is where I think Lloris shines.

For me

- Gomes is probably our best shot stopper, the guy who will make the impossible save. Problem is he is inconsistent, will cost you points, and has the back line nervous
- Brad is the least likely to cost you points in the traditional (fudge up) sense, very dependable, day in, day out. Brad's main weakness/flaw is he sticks to his line, it puts us under a lot of pressure if the opponents keep pumping high balls into box. Brad worked best with some combination of King/Kaboul/Dawson (all very good in air) in front of him.
- Lloris for me has the potential to be better than both, he will make saves Brad may have not gotten to, but fudge up less than Gomes (he will make mistakes though as his style is a little risky). His true strength is the number of opposition opportunities he kills off before they happen by coming early and often for the ball. He much more than the other two, contributes when little else is happening (i.e. direct shots on goal).

i havent had the temperment to look at lloris objectively. too busy getting irate over one particular poster thats a fair weather fan and doesnt actually support tottenham. more his own personal ego than anything else

under the circumstances i would have said lloris is doing well, has MANY positives....but i wont be giving him huge ratings for those things that he theoretically can do without doing them often in games....actually i lie, maybe i would , though i doubt it.

lloris isnt a bad keeper, far from it...but i dont see the world class in him yet.....he hasnt shown it IMO. if he is world class based on what we have seen so far then there are at least 8 keepers in the league now that could lay claim to that title

lloris isnt a bad keeper, far from it...but i dont see the world class in him yet.....he hasnt shown it IMO. if he is world class based on what we have seen so far then there are at least 8 keepers in the league now that could lay claim to that title

Very true, from what I've seen.

now i can see where YOU are coming from now.

seems like both of us are engineered to have a certain outlook on both keepers for different yet similar reasons

biggest signing enic have ever made? world class keeper?

i dont see it personally, but thats just me

Fair enough, I must admit I got in a right huff when you called my view stupid and put you on
ignore, but I see you're being fair overall, so i'll take it in good spirit.

Re the world class it's based on his status as French captain and performances for Lyon

I think he's already showing he's better than Hart or Cech, I doubt those two could go to another country and show that superiority that quickly.

I still think you're way wrong in thinking Brad and Hugo are on the same level or even close,, but in the spirit of Xmas I won't call your judgment 'stupid' though your call on me I must admit is still bugging me :)

Last edited:
Fair enough, I must admit I got in a right huff when you called my view stupid and put you on
ignore, but I see you're being fair overall, so i'll take it in good spirit.

Re the world class it's based on his status as French captain and performances for Lyon

I think he's already showing he's better than Hart or Cech, I doubt those two could go to another country and show that superiority that quickly.

I still think you're way wrong in thinking Brad and Hugo are on the same level or even close,, but in the spirit of Xmas I won't call your judgment 'stupid' though your call on me I must admit is still bugging me :)

hmmm....i dont get how you see that i called your view stupid...or even you stupid.

I'm actually starting to think your intentionally playing the victim here. can you show me where i called you stupid? or where i called your view of lloris in the stoke game stupid. lets start there

"I still think you're way wrong in thinking Brad and Hugo are on the same level or even close"...yeah you see, you're doing it again here i think....

their overall performances for us this season at the time of me making that statement, Not their overall abilities(that wouldnt be possible for me to definitively ascertain as i dont know lloris well enough to make a final judgement....), just to clarify as i am starting to see that you dont fully read things before you respond.

'it sounds stupid' your words - but anyway i give in, to me you overrate Brad and underrate Hugo big time, but I'm not debating with you anymore. as I'm getting wound up over our exchanges. I'm probably in the wrong, but hey so be it.

I think there's blame on both sides here.

agreed in general with that.....a couple of the posts i said have been directed at him, and i was actually sorry he took them to heart

BUT.. i dont see how there is much blame for in what he is actually referring to,i.e the 'stupid' comment....i'm looking at the point at which the word stupid comes to play......, looking at the person i am talking to and what i am talking about, and the context....neither of which is referring to JPG or JPG's point. IMO he portrayed a scenario, me insulting him, that is not true .....it could get me an infraction if the mods feel the pinch of Christmas spending

i think the ignore list is the best place for me because he is clearly finding blame somewhere that it doesnt exist

I just want to say in NO WAY would I want AS to get an infraction and in NO WAY do I feel he's insulted me. It's a difference of opinions that's it. I have no ill will towards AS at all. As he rightly says it's good we steer clear from each other henceforth. We part on amicable terms, certainly on my side,and I'm sure on his too.

The difference between the two keepers is marked. Friedel is a good keeper and it is testament to his professionalism and ability that he is still one of the better keepers in the league, but he is not a patch on Lloris and his playing style was unsuited to our team. Michu would have happily slotted home in the last minute had Friedel been in goal - yet no-one would have blamed him for remaining stationary on his line. Lloris has gonads and allows our defence to push higher up with less risk of conceding as Lloris is willing to travel 10 yards out of his box to deal with a situation on a regular basis and he is more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The difference between the two keepers is marked. Friedel is a good keeper and it is testament to his professionalism and ability that he is still one of the better keepers in the league, but he is not a patch on Lloris and his playing style was unsuited to our team. Michu would have happily slotted home in the last minute had Friedel been in goal - yet no-one would have blamed him for remaining stationary on his line. Lloris has gonads and allows our defence to push higher up with less risk of conceding as Lloris is willing to travel 10 yards out of his box to deal with a situation on a regular basis and he is more comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Well said.

Imo i'm chuffed we got Lloris. He is just the right age, already has good experience but young enough to churn out many years as our number one. To think the struggle Man U and Arsenal have had locate a decent keeper (and they're still trying) this may turn out to be a key signing for what is a key position.

Once selected he has hit the ground running. Never once looked nervous, and looks in control of everything he does. He also looks good or better at all elements of goalkeeping. True, he hasn't been greatly tested in many games (although Lazio away he was tremendous) but within those games he has done one or two things that have made me think we could be onto a winner.

I'm glad Brad has signed for another year, when we need him, he is a very good goalkeeper. You can not fault him as a proffesional and he is a much needed strong character. When Gomes and Carlo are shifted on (asap!) we can fill the third spot with a young keeper and Brad would be the perfect person to have around.

(ps do you remember how Gomes would always need treament for life threatening injuries at least twice a game, used to royally p*ss me off)

Back