• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Bump.

You know i sat watching the Everton game and actually imagined what the reaction to Pienaar's goal would be on GG and the way people operate on this site has left me utterly shocked. I mean i finally get it now.

Hugo Lloris could have saved that goal. You think MOTD AND Sturridge on Sky sports just said that because they have some sort of agenda against LLoris? no they said that because the bloody ball went through his arms (again btw) and he was slow to react. For MONTHS..MONTHS..I constantly hear that Brad Friedel's age is what's restricting him from making these saves and a world class goalkeeper like lloris would showcase these amazing reflexes that will win us points but he showcases something like that...and guess what? diddly squat is said about it on here (except for glenroyid who doesn't even rate friedel and seemed a Lloris fanboy...no offence intended mate).

When people are hypocrites it's excused on here if they share the same general feeling as the majority. I now get why real impartial posters who judged things objectivly post on here less (i'm not talking about these fake ass ones that have a good way with words so are able to hide..or be very very subtle about their opinions). Do you know the most mazing thing? brad friedel was blamed for the goal more then Hugo lloris..that sums it up.

When a thread falls off the first page it tends to be out of sight out of mind...

You have a point, though i'm not sure how good it was because the views they showed on Motd weren't really helpful.

I am sorry Kingdawson, to say that Lloris seems quiet to you is way off the mark. I sit in block 23, row 6 of the Paxton, and he is way more vocal than Freidel has ever been. Lloris is much quicker off his line and his distribution is better than Freidel's. However, I totally believe that all of our players should be picked on merit and if Lloris does have a dip in form, then Freidel should be back 'between the sticks'.

I am sorry Kingdawson, to say that Lloris seems quiet to you is way off the mark. I sit in block 23, row 6 of the Paxton, and he is way more vocal than Freidel has ever been. Lloris is much quicker off his line and his distribution is better than Freidel's. However, I totally believe that all of our players should be picked on merit and if Lloris does have a dip in form, then Freidel should be back 'between the sticks'.

Where did i say that?

Agree with you on the other two points, but Lloris's distribution is appalling.

Lloris ought to have saved the Pienaar header from the other day, the only defence that I would give is that the defence seemed to all shift out of place for the goal due to the confusion between Caulker and Lloris. Still, he should have saved it and I would like to have seen better than he showed for that effort.

I know he will be a top, top keeper though so one goal conceded certainly won't rock my view of his ability.

Bump.

You know i sat watching the Everton game and actually imagined what the reaction to Pienaar's goal would be on GG and the way people operate on this site has left me utterly shocked. I mean i finally get it now.

Hugo Lloris could have saved that goal. You think MOTD AND Sturridge on Sky sports just said that because they have some sort of agenda against LLoris? no they said that because the bloody ball went through his arms (again btw) and he was slow to react. For MONTHS..MONTHS..I constantly hear that Brad Friedel's age is what's restricting him from making these saves and a world class goalkeeper like lloris would showcase these amazing reflexes that will win us points but he showcases something like that...and guess what? diddly squat is said about it on here (except for glenroyid who doesn't even rate friedel and seemed a Lloris fanboy...no offence intended mate).

When people are hypocrites it's excused on here if they share the same general feeling as the majority. I now get why real impartial posters who judged things objectivly post on here less (i'm not talking about these fake ass ones that have a good way with words so are able to hide..or be very very subtle about their opinions). Do you know the most mazing thing? brad friedel was blamed for the goal more then Hugo lloris..that sums it up.

Who are you referring to? I'd be interested to know who you're calling 'fake-ass ones that have a good way with words and are able to hide...or be subtle about their opinions'...

No-one blamed Brad Friedel for the goal, that is you getting hysterical. What I said is that Caulker played in front of Brad on the Thursday and Lloris on the Sunday, two keepers with very different styles (I mean, you would agree with that I trust?) when it comes to how they deal with the box. I suggested that this contributed to Caulker's mistake, and I further said that IMO, in the long-term he will be a fantastic player who when he's playing a settled defence will be an excellent player for us.

I know he will be a top, top keeper though so one goal conceded certainly won't rock my view of his ability.

Especially when his earlier interventions in the game is what kept the score at 0:0

That early inerception on the through ball to Jelavic was top drawer - great reading of the game and ability to come off his line quicker something we've dearly missed with Brad, imv

There were more saves later on - some of Pienaar and Osman in the bottom left - he got down well and early

I think that header caught him in a 'step', unfortunately.

Last edited:
Lloris was at fault for Pienaar's goal.

I say that as a fully paid-up member of the 'Hugo Lloris Best Keeper Spurs Could Have Conceivably Gotten on FM OM-fudging G', or 'HLBKSCHGoFOMFG', for short. I am also currently the only member, for reasons that escape me, but you get my point nonetheless.

Lloris will make mistakes, and no goalie is perfect. I say this as a struggling goalkeeper in a relatively competitive recreational league myself. The decision making process goalkeepers go through is this; you see the situation develop, determine a course of action and then follow it through. 90 percent of the time, it tends to work; you decide to go one way, or you decide to come out for the ball, and you go ahead and do it. Whether you accomplish your task or not is irrelevant; you have performed the action you determined you would perform, and thus are hailed as 'decisive'. Or 'loony' if, like me, you end up gracefully scooping the ball up into your arms 50 yards from goal for no apparent reason, though I will plead inebriation as my excuse.

But on Sunday, Lloris' shout out to Caulker didn't work; Caulker hoofed it away seconds before Hugo arrived, for reasons unknown. Suddenly, Lloris has to retreat, reposition and abandon his original course of action for an entirely new one, while a dangerous situation was quickly developing. In that situation, with incessant Everton pressure, a keeper desperate to make up for his error and unsure of what to do, and with a defense back-pedalling following Caulker's part in said error, conceding a goal like the one we did is very likely.

Lloris has phenomenal reactions; some of his saves against Lazio at the Olimpico were magnificently instinctive. But reactions alone don't help in a situation like that; you need a lot of mental strength to refocus when you've seemingly made an error of judgement, to re-judge your course of action in an extremely limited time-frame, assess the situation and reposition yourself accordingly. And Lloris was probably panicked enough to ignore that maxim, due to a combination of all the factors listed above.

So it was his fault, certainly. But given the circumstances, blaming him for not stopping it is premature. A relatively young goalkeeper fresh to one of the fastest, most stressful leagues in the world can be forgiven a few errors of judgement, or a lack of decisiveness.

As an addendum before I finish, though; Friedel retains my support in most things. I love the guy; I think he's professional, reliable and a fine goalie. But Lloris will consistently trump him in my mind for one reason, and one reason only; even if he fudges up, like him and Caulker dually did on Sunday, Lloris still tries to command his area, to claim crosses, to come out at every opportunity. That's a brave thing to do when you're relatively short and you're up against physical monsters like in the PL. Brad, despite his merits, has never done this for Spurs; he's always stayed on his line when the box is crowded. And we concede more often than not because of this. Hence, Lloris is the preferred option.

Who are you referring to? I'd be interested to know who you're calling 'fake-ass ones that have a good way with words and are able to hide...or be subtle about their opinions'...

No-one blamed Brad Friedel for the goal, that is you getting hysterical. What I said is that Caulker played in front of Brad on the Thursday and Lloris on the Sunday, two keepers with very different styles (I mean, you would agree with that I trust?) when it comes to how they deal with the box. I suggested that this contributed to Caulker's mistake, and I further said that IMO, in the long-term he will be a fantastic player who when he's playing a settled defence will be an excellent player for us.

fool me once shame on you...good try though:lol:

Yeh you over thought again as i said. Rather then simply say "ah ell he could have done better with the actual header" you instead bring Friedel up in the debate to deflect attention from the actual poor attempt of saving the header.

There are 2 separate incidents. one is the first passage of play when caulker doesn't leave it to lloris which is caulker's fault and then there's the actual attempt of the save which is poor and LLoris actually dives late (the one both Sky and bbc say he should have done much better). you focus solely on the first passage of play and when the second passage of play is brought up....you even have an excuse for that (something about lloris not being in the right position etc etc etc..a goalie should analyse etc etc).

If truth be told it's not the first time he's dived late. he did so for 2 of the Gooner goals (3rd and 5th). i specifically bring this up because i was told lloris would have these super cooper reflexes that will win us points..that might be but for now he hasn't shown these reflexes one bit imo.

As for him coming out i agree he's good at that. His distribution is also good too but reflexes? no he hasn't shown this yet. If you actually look at the bigger picture he's already made 3 clear cut mistakes and not saved 2 or 3 shots that he should have done better.

Let's be honest...has he even been tested much since taking over?

Back