• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

I'm comparing him to GDS in that I think like with GDS people are desperate for Lloris to be amazing and cover up all his flaws and pretend they aren't there.

I've seen loads of Lloris for France and Lyon, but as far as I'm concerned when a player joins Spurs and a manager joins Spurs his past is irrelevant and I just judge them on how they play for Spurs.

Playing in the C/L and international football and French football for a French club and national side is completely different to playing for a Premiership club. The demands are different and someone that is great for their national side won't necessarily be that good for us.

Sergei Rebrov was amazing for Ukraine and in the Champions League for dynamo kiev, but he was absolute garbage for us.

I honestly couldn't give a brick about what Lloris did for Lyon and for France I'm bothered by what he does for Spurs and i'm not that impressed. Jury's very much out but like I keep saying I hope he proves me wrong.

Then I think your seeing something noone else is. He's not done too much wrong in the few games he's had, if you feel nervous watching him then that's a personal thing, I feel supremely confident with him in goal. Even after the mistake last night I never felt "oh no he's gonna fudge up again", which is how I felt with Gomes in goal, it really did just feel like a one off.

That goal aside were you not impressed with him last night? What more would you want him to do in a game?

Last edited:
Iif it ain't broke don't fix it.

That doesn't really work though. The analogy is flawed.

We're not trying to fix something, we're trying to improve it. Like a machine with eleven cogs. Would you not replace one of the cogs if you found a better material to use in it's place?

Or would you wait for the previous cog to fail before we replace it?

Every good goalkeeper makes a clanger like that at least 5 times in his lifetime. Lloris isn'tlike de Gea or some other young inexperienced player, he's the effin captain of France. The idiot fans that we have nowadays need to realise this instead of thinking that football revolves around the premier league.

That doesn't really work though. The analogy is flawed.

We're not trying to fix something, we're trying to improve it. Like a machine with eleven cogs. Would you not replace one of the cogs if you found a better material to use in it's place?

Or would you wait for the previous cog to fail before we replace it?

actually i wouldnt change it unless there was serious threat of failure.

leave a winning machine alone. why change it, changing things might then result in further changes needed for optimum functionality of all the parts. dont forget the old parts were huuuuming with the one you replced

Then I think your seeing something noone else is. He's not done too much wrong in the few games he's had, if you feel nervous watching him then that's a personal thing, I feel supremely confident with him in goal. Even after the mistake last night I never felt "oh no he's gonna fudge up again", which is how I felt with Gomes in goal, it really did just feel like a one off.

That goal aside were you not impressed with him last night? What more would you want him to do in a game?

Not particularly. I thought Maribor only had about 5 attacks in the entire match but everytime we looked like conceeding, a lot of that was down to how we dealt with a few crosses they managed to put in. I thought a lot of that blame went to our two full-backs who were caught out of position a few times and Naughton's back-pass that led to their goal, which should never have been played blind back to LLoris. However, Lloris made a bit of a hash of every cross he went for and obviously fudged up the clearance from Naughton's (admittedly dangerous) pass.

Should I have been impressed?

He didn't have much to do and what he did have to do he didn't seem to do particularly well.

To me as well I don't care about his saves so much as at Premiership level everyone's a good shot stopper. What makes a difference between a Premiership keeper who is run of the mill and a top keeper is that they are comfortable in claiming crosses, dealing with back-passes and other things without fudge-ups or punching/palming crosses into the path of opposition strikers - don't think it's too much to ask when you have paid £12m and have a perfectly solid keeper on your books in Freidel already.

I'm not saying Lloris is terrible, just not good enough to play infront of Brad and a potential waste of £12m. We shall see.

Not particularly. I thought Maribor only had about 5 attacks in the entire match but everytime we looked like conceeding, a lot of that was down to how we dealt with a few crosses they managed to put in. I thought a lot of that blame went to our two full-backs who were caught out of position a few times and Naughton's back-pass that led to their goal, which should never have been played blind back to LLoris. However, Lloris made a bit of a hash of every cross he went for and obviously fudged up the clearance from Naughton's (admittedly dangerous) pass.

He didn't have much to do and what he did have to do he didn't seem to do particularly well.

To me as well I don't care about his saves so much as at Premiership level everyone's a good shot stopper. What makes a difference between a Premiership keeper who is run of the mill and a top keeper is that they are comfortable in claiming crosses, dealing with back-passes and other things without fudge-ups or punching/palming crosses into the path of opposition strikers - don't think it's too much to ask when you have paid £12m and have a perfectly solid keeper on your books in Freidel already.

I'm not saying Lloris is terrible, just not good enough to play infront of Brad and a potential waste of £12m. We shall see.

this situation has to be one of the stranger scenarios seen in football. lloris looked clearly peed off last night and that might have been his performance or his situation. i get the feeling he feels under incredible pressure in each game he plays as he knows he is fighting for his place when he probably wasnt expecting to. at the moment i have to say that brad looks like a safe bet. thats the thing about brad though he is great keeper and very very reliable, hence the reason he is still playing prem football at 41. he looks like he will go onto 50 at this rate

Looked like conceding? Sorry but this is plain shamless trolling now.

He intercepted two great throughballs by coming out early and punched away a dangerous low cross later.

What didn't he do that he was supposed to do?

Like Brad last Saturday you mean?

Based on 6 games in total (and only one (1) in the PL) inwhich he has superior stats to Brad as it stand?

actually i wouldnt change it unless there was serious threat of failure.

leave a winning machine alone. why change it, changing things might then result in further changes needed for optimum functionality of all the parts. dont forget the old parts were huuuuming with the one you replced

Depends what you define it as though. I would say 'serious failure' is being in danger of relegation, and if you've waited that long before changing it then it's too late.

OK so you weren't impressed with his dealing of crosses, that to me is one of his strong points, the fact he comes out for them and attempts to deal with them. I don't really think he made a hash of one single cross last night, he seemed to deal with them all?

I think we've got completely different ideas on what constitutes a good performance and what doesn't. If that was a poor performance and you felt like Lloris was going to conceed each time it came near him then I just don't know.

I wonder if Lloris was told before he signed he would be number 2 to Friedel for a whole season

OK so you weren't impressed with his dealing of crosses, that to me is one of his strong points, the fact he comes out for them and attempts to deal with them. I don't really think he made a hash of one single cross last night, he seemed to deal with them all?

I think we've got completely different ideas on what constitutes a good performance and what doesn't. If that was a poor performance and you felt like Lloris was going to conceed each time it came near him then I just don't know.

Well that's the beauty of football. 2 different people can watch the same player/match. One will be impressed, the other won't.

I feel Lloris looks nervous and has a mistake in him. That makes me nervous. You obviously think he is the mutts nutts. We'll have to agree to disagree for now. I look forward to him winning me over (i hope).

Looked like conceding? Sorry but this is plain shamless trolling now.

He intercepted two great throughballs by coming out early and punched away a dangerous low cross later.

What didn't he do that he was supposed to do?

Like Brad last Saturday you mean?

Based on 6 games in total (and only one (1) in the PL) inwhich he has superior stats to Brad as it stand?

Arcy, someone can have a different opinion to you without it being trolling. Please stick to arguing the topic and not criticising other posters. Thanks

Well that's the beauty of football. 2 different people can watch the same player/match. One will be impressed, the other won't.

I feel Lloris looks nervous and has a mistake in him. That makes me nervous. You obviously think he is the mutts nutts. We'll have to agree to disagree for now. I look forward to him winning me over (i hope).

The thing is I don't think he will win you over, take out his mistake last night and that's how Lloris plays, if you weren't happy with that and you felt nervous every time the ball went near him, then you won't be feeling any better going forward.

Arcy, someone can have a different opinion to you without it being trolling. Please stick to arguing the topic and not criticising other posters. Thanks
Do you agree that we looked like conceding every time they attacked due to Lloris? Surely there is opinion and there's aspects which are factually incorrect?

Last edited:
Do you agree that we looked like conceding every time they attacked due to Lloris? Surely there is opinion and there's aspects which are factually incorrect?

What I think of Lloris' performance last night is irrelevant. People sometimes post polarised opinions on message boards to make a point, you are as guilty of that as anyone. Argue the point with NWND or walk away.

I didn't actually say that though did I? I said I thought we looked like conceding every time they attacked and I said this was partially down to both full-backs getting caught out of position on occasion PLUS Lloris failing to deal confidently with crosses.

Maribor didn't have many attacks in the game at all, but those that stick in my mind are:

A cross that came in low across the box which Lloris palmed straight into the path of their oncoming striker - who should have scored and if that had been Dzeko, Tevez or someone like that probably would have scored. That would have to have been down to a Lloris mistake.
A corner that came in which Lloris came for, tried to stretch out a flappy hand towards, didn't get anywhere near and it was eventually headed over by one of their players.
A passback that was fairly routine that he delayed over (admittedly this was after his error) and cleared at last minute away from their onrushing striker.

I can't actually think of many more threatening Maribor attacks, i think there might have been one where one of their guys almost got free, but Naughton chased back and made a great last-minute tackle.

He admittedly did well coming out and collecting a few through-balls but i'd expect any self-respecting top-level keeper to have done the same.

Like i said he didn't have much to do but pretty much every time he did do something we looked like we may concede.

Back