• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

AVB has handled the situation excellently. I had my doubts initially, as I too feel Lloris is superior to Brad. But hey-ho, the plan worked. That's all that should matter. Well done AVB, and kudos to Friedel and Hugo for dealing with the situation with professionalism and class.

The day I take any article in the fudging Sun seriously....

Have you for one moment considered the overall effect of a (new )managers behaviour, thought processes and integrity beyond the three people involved?

Yes I have, and it must have sent a bad message out to the other players when AVB dropped Hugo after keeping a clean sheet. According to Brad he was told before the Villa game, IIRC it was in an article in an american sports magazine, that he would be back for the Chelsea game. What kind of message does that send out?

Furthermore, according to AVB on the Friday before the Chelsea game, again IIRC, he said that that he hadn't decided on the situation and picked on merit.

So I return your question to your good self :)

AVB has handled the situation excellently. I had my doubts initially, as I too feel Lloris is superior to Brad. But hey-ho, the plan worked. That's all that should matter. Well done AVB, and kudos to Friedel and Hugo for dealing with the situation with professionalism and class.

The day I take any article in the fudging Sun seriously....

We don't know if the plan worked yet, we haven't qualified for the CL. If we fail by one point, then it could be argued the plan didn't work.

I certainly agree it's great that Hugo is now clear number one, and overall I think that AVB is doing a great job, but I'm not rewriting history because of that.

Last edited:
Yes I have, and it must have sent a bad message out to the other players when AVB dropped Hugo after keeping a clean sheet. According to Brad he was told before the Villa game, IIRC it was in an article in an american sports magazine, that he would be back for the Chelsea game. What kind of message does that send out?

Furthermore, according to AVB on the Friday before the Chelsea game, again IIRC, he said that that he hadn't decided on the situation and picked on merit.

Language is a powerful tool. It sounds bad when you claim that AVB "dropped" Lloris. It sounds altogether different if you say that AVB eased Lloris gently into the Premier League, gradually giving him more game time before, as was always intended, making him first choice.

We don't know if the plan worked yet, we haven't qualified for the CL. If we fail by one point, then it could be argued the plan didn't work.

I certainly agree it's great that Hugo is now clear number one, and overall I think that AVB is doing a great job, but I'm not rewriting history because of that.

Rewriting history?

No, you just seem to be ignoring it.

So if we miss out on CL by 1 point it's going to be AVB's fault because he didn't play Lloris in a certain match?

Get a grip man

I do understand where you're coming from JPG but I feel if it came down to us failing by one point, there would be more factors than not playing Hugo from the offset. New manager, new system/tactics, new players coming in, three of our most crucial players leaving/retiring. If we were to lay the blame solely on AVB not playing Lloris straight away, I feel it would be like blaming Danny Rose getting sent off at Villa for our 4th place finish, rather than the other factors surrounding our failure to get into the CL.

Of course, you also said 'it could be argued', so apologies if my post is insinuating that you are indefatigably behind the notion you put forward.

I do understand where you're coming from JPG but I feel if it came down to us failing by one point, there would be more factors than not playing Hugo from the offset. New manager, new system/tactics, new players coming in, three of our most crucial players leaving/retiring. If we were to lay the blame solely on AVB not playing Lloris straight away, I feel it would be like blaming Danny Rose getting sent off at Villa for our 4th place finish, rather than the other factors surrounding our failure to get into the CL.

Of course, you also said 'it could be argued', so apologies if my post is insinuating that you are indefatigably behind the notion you put forward.

Fair comments AR, as you say there will be many factors involved in us gaining/losing CL place.

So did you consider the overall effect when championing your opinion that Brad should have been bombed as soon as Hugo walked in the door?

So did you consider the overall effect when championing your opinion that Brad should have been bombed as soon as Hugo walked in the door?

I've never said that. I've said it should have been clear from day one that Hugo would be number one, but I didn't mind Brad playing the first game of Hugo's 'reign' while he settled in. After Hugo kept a clean sheet v Lazio he should have stayed in goal IMO, but what really incensed me was him being dropped after another clean sheet v Villa.

I've never said that. I've said it should have been clear from day one that Hugo would be number one, but I didn't mind Brad playing the first game of Hugo's 'reign' while he settled in. After Hugo kept a clean sheet v Lazio he should have stayed in goal IMO, but what really incensed me was him being dropped after another clean sheet v Villa.

"What really incensed you..."??

You poor, little petal.

Nice backtracking on the rest, by the way.

Hi Arc, AFAIK these are the same words that I quoted in an article a few pages back.

As you know I back your view on the Lloris v Brad situation Indeed one of the reasons I started posting on here was to back you up, as I thought you weren't getting enough support in your championing of Hugo.

A very telling quote from Hugo below

Personally, I think the switch should have happened much earlier and this whole sentimental Brad melodrama is just that, imv - but fair play to AVB - he's the boss

'Yes, there were discussions, because it could not go on,' said Lloris. 'But it is positive for me here now.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...und-Lewis-Holtby-warns-AVB.html#ixzz2HYdcMOVU

One quote is more telling then the 5/6 or so others that were posted?

Not sure if serious...

Hi Arc, AFAIK these are the same words that I quoted in an article a few pages back.

As you know I back your view on the Lloris v Brad situation Indeed one of the reasons I started posting on here was to back you up, as I thought you weren't getting enough support in your championing of Hugo.

Personally, I think many posters were (innocently) unaware of his quality / had actual exposure to an objective sample of his games (beyond some flimflam WC/CL 5-minute highlights).

Subsequently came the natural 'reservation' towards the new and foreign 'toy' replacing the old and trusted gramofone (you'd also find many of those were some of Redknapp's most vocal disciples during his last days and saw Brad's elimination as yet another stab in the 'Arry voodoo doll by the evil Portugueezer. All you have to do is cross-reference a few usernames and threads.

Brad's a good keeper, and in my view - should have chosen to leave and continue playing regurarly elsewhere while keeing his match sharpness instead of the safe pay-packet. I'd also be petrified to have a 42-year old who plays once a month in the sticks against Lyon but hopefully common sense will prevail. Lloris is simply better - I see nothing disrespectful towards Brad in that statement. Some mates drive a better motor than me - I see nothing disrespectful in that either.

Last edited:
One quote is more telling then the 5/6 or so others that were posted?

Not sure if serious...

I have a strong suspiscion this is the latest one - do you possibly have a timeline related to these statements?

In any case - a few words can be more powerful than a whole essay - this isn't maths, mate :)

I have a strong suspiscion this is the latest one - do you possibly have a timeline related to these statements?

In any case - a few words can be more powerful than a whole essay - this isn't maths, mate :)

21st December

The Frenchman, who will face his former side in the last 32 of the Europa League, signed for £12million but initially struggled to displace Brad Friedel as Andre Villas-Boas’ No 1.
But Lloris is confident he is now up to speed with the Premier League.

‘Football is universal,’ he told the Times. ‘There are certain characteristics, such as crosses, high balls, duels on the pitch and fighting spirit which are part of the English football. Here it is faster, with higher intensity.
‘Being a keeper isn’t just about being a player,’ he said. ‘It’s about a mindset, being rigorous in your work, brave. I don’t like to wait for the game to come to me, to have it imposed on me. I like to attack the ball, to play quite high up the pitch and to close the attacking players down where possible.’

It's not maths no, but i'd be inclined to believe the majority of the stories, as opposed to the single one. It's far easier for the media to twist a single story to make it sound bad as opposed to all the stories that come out about it.

Though what irks me the most is not knowing the wording of the questions that lead to the quotes, which could be the key to deciphering it..

That quote talks about his game - nothing about the Brad fiasco.

To me - the earlier one is a strong statement - 'it could not go on' can only be interpreted in so many ways, would you not agree? Do you think when we were signing him Levy/AVB informed him he'll be a squad player or a sub to a 42 year old? Come one, mate

That quote talks about his game - nothing about the Brad fiasco.

To me - the earlier one is a strong statement - 'it could not go on' can only be interpreted in so many ways, would you not agree? Do you think when we were signing him Levy/AVB informed him he'll be a squad player or a sub to a 42 year old? Come one, mate

It could be interpreted in many ways, which are partly dependant upon the questions that are asked to him at the press conference, or whatever it is.

No, i don't believe he was informed that he was signed to be a squad player, but if he's gone and bitched to AVB about it than i'd be disappointed that he didn't believe he had the capability of displacing a 41/42 year old goalkeeper by putting his head down, working hard and showing how good he was in his performances.

It just smacks of him not being very professional in my view if that is the case.

I don't believe a player of his class and experience would bitch and moan, doubt that's his character - most likely went and 'queried' why is he benched to a player who's performing to an inferior level, while he's busy keeping consectuive clean sheets and putting in solid displays.

Back