• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Hence - As a consequence; for this reason.

When you put this word at the start of a sentence I expect there to be a logical connection between that sentence and the one preceding it. If you disagree then this isn't the place for that discussion.

-----------

I don't disagree that Hugo is a better overall goalkeeper than Brad. You say that you've stated things loads of times, I don't disagree. Many of these times there have been posts from me and others here outlining factors that could still make it a better decision to start Brad in those early games. Several times you've said that these were good points. I haven't seen you make a counter argument against those points. When you then revert to saying that AVB was wrong, you were right and the reason is that Hugo is the better goalkeeper for the hundredth time (your words, not mine) you can't be surprised when people again post arguments that you haven't made counter arguments to.

Fair enough, I can't say anymore to you really. I've met all your arguments time and again.

Hugo is better than Brad, AVB should have had Lloris in from the start as number one. Hugo was unhappy that he didn't as I've repeatedly and correctly said. AVB somewhat belatedly got it right in the end but it took Hugo to talk to him about it, apparently. Whatever the reasons, AVB handled the siuation badly and it could have backfired on us. I think a lot of Spurs fans and the media were lukewarm in their reception to what was a great coup in getting perhaps the highest ranked/best player that ENIC have ever signed.

I think some of this might be due to anti-French bias or a simple lack of knowledge of what a top keeper Hugo was and is, despite AVB chipping away at his confidence, doubtles inadvertently, and putting him a poor position where the captain of France wasn't getting a game for a team that doesn't have much of a profile in France, and lots of people were surprised he joined us in the first place. That we then benched Lloris was something incredulous to a lot of French people, probably fuelled in part by anti-English bias.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I can't say anymore to you really. I've met all your arguments time and again.

Hugo is better than Brad, AVB should have had Lloris in from the start as number one. Hugo was unhappy that he didn't as I've repeatedly and correctly said. AVB somewhat belatedly got it right in the end but it took Hugo to talk to him about it, apparently. Whatever the reasons, AVB handled the siuation badly and it could have backfired on us. I think a lot of Spurs fans and the media were lukewarm in their reception to what was a great coup in getting perhaps the highest ranked/best player that ENIC have ever signed.

Odd.. you start the post about Lloris and end it about VDV..

Why are you still going on about this when he's now our number one btw? why are you kicking up a fuss now when it looks like everyone is in agreement?

You're both wrong. The poster is using a home address from which nobody else has posted.

Cheers Scara, I don't read AS posts as we've fallen out over this matter, but I assume someone is implying that I am 'another poster' reincarnated. This is simply not true, I have only ever posted under my current poster name.

I think some of this might be due to anti-French bias or a simple lack of knowledge of what a top keeper Hugo was and is, despite AVB chipping away at his confidence, doubtles inadvertently, and putting him a poor position where the captain of France wasn't getting a game for a team that doesn't have much of a profile in France, and lots of people were surprised he joined us. That we then benched Lloris was something incredulous to a lot of French people, probably fuelled in part by anti-English bias.

That's not true.

This is one of the posts you replied to one where I made some arguments:

"Fair comments, but I still see AVB in the wrong over this, and it was frankly ridiculous to support an inferior keeper like Brad over a world class keeper like Hugo for so long. It may yet cost us the CL place we all desire. "

That's not really the same as meeting my arguments, it's pretty much the opposite. I have no problems ending a discussion by agreeing to disagree, but if you then state those opinions and arguments again don't expect that they will stand unchallenged.

Well we're going to go round in circles, I'm not changing my position. As far as I'm concerned I have met your arguments, you disagree, fair enough.

As with AS we've hit an impasse, best we both move on, certainly I don't intend to reply to any more of your posts. You may well be right in this matter and I maywell be wrong, but clearly I don't think that's the case and there's nothing more to say, from my side anyway.

I'll continue to post my views on the situation and doubtless you will likewise, but debating between us is clearly pointless.

Goalkeeper Hugo Lloris insists that Andre Villas-Boas did want him at Tottenham and has rubbished claims of any unrest between the duo.

The France captain and No.1 signed for Spurs from Lyon on transfer deadline day, but he did not make his Premier League debut until earlier this month having to instead sit on the substitutes bench behind Brad Friedel.
Many in France were shocked by Lloris' treatment and a number of players and managers, including French coach Didier Deschamps, admitted their shock at the fact he was not first choice.

But Lloris insists there is no issue at all between himself and Villas-Boas, as he told L'Equipe: "About (the) rumours and what happens inside the club, everything has gone off smoothly.

"There are four keepers at a high level, the coach makes his choices, I have just been hired as part of the future project, but that project starts now. The relationship with Brad Friedel, the keepers' coach and manger are very good.

"I have not signed at Tottenham to play that [substitute] role, but I am at the disposal of the team, I respect everyone, but I came to play.

"Do I have guarantees for the future? No, I have not. The coach will make his choices. I just came into a new club so I am not here to create trouble, but rather to bring solutions."

Lloris denied suggestions that he was signed by chairman Daniel Levy rather than Villas-Boas.

"Rumours that I am the choice of the chairman not the coach? I talked with the coach and there is no ambiguity. He told me everyone at Tottenham wanted me to come, and in England the manager has a power on that kind of things," he insisted.

"It is just like when I read I should not have joined Tottenham. That never-ending football-fiction that has set around me is annoying to me. You have to put things into perspective: I just spent four weeks with Spurs and just missed three matches."

Adamant

And Lloris remains adamant that he is happy to have made the move to White Hart Lane.

"To me it was an important choice, a new adventure, a new culture. Indeed I expected to leave [France] much earlier, but you cannot master that as a player," he said.

"I came at the last minute and a team was already set. I came to improve. Indeed, I have a status in France but I will have to show it when I will have the opportunity to play, and I think everything will go back to normal soon.

"When you came in a new universe, you have to prove yourself and that is logical. Things will come naturally, I won't force them. I expected that, because England remains a specific culture. Englishmen want to see you play on their pitches before judging you. But that questioning is fine to me."

Lloris admits that he is already finding the game in England more physical, but he is happy with that.

"There are more contacts on the keepers, the game is much faster, and there are more opportunities," he said.

"There are a lot of contacts indeed, but if I have to undergo some blows I will take them, I am prepared for that."

And here are some other quotes from the Villa match:

“It was an important game for me, an introduction to the Premier League after three to four weeks of waiting and working. Whether with Brad, goalkeeping coaches or even with the manager, everything has gone well.”

“I am not worried by the situation.

“From the moment I signed for Tottenham I have invested 200 per cent. I show it every day in training with a lot of enthusiasm because all this is new to me and especially because it is the Premier League, the best league in Europe.

“It’s has not been complicated for me. I have always been ready to play.

“The coach has made his choice. I must just stay focused as I have done before with Nice, Lyon and the France team.

“I am getting my bearings and I hope to play more and more to be at my best.”

“Normally, you get the chance to know your team-mates before the season starts, but I started straight away in competitive matches. I still need a few games to find the rhythm.”

Steven Caulker said: “Hugo’s learning English and it’s coming on really good.

“He made a fantastic save in a one-on-one and proved his worth.

“We communicate fine on the pitch. He understands the English he needs to know and he’s very vocal. Off the pitch, he’s very humble and a good character.

“He’s had to be patient and he’s handled that fantastically well. The gaffer gave him the nod against Villa and I thought he did well.”

AVB said: 'We spoke among the staff this week about it and we thought it was logical to let Hugo come into a Premier League game because he can't just play in the Europa League.

'Brad obviously was disappointed with the decision but accepted it like the good professional he is.'

'Obviously the change was not based on performance because Brad has been immense for this football team,'

JPG_357 I think rich and Jordinho along with your mate Lloris have just made you look a bit silly not that you weren't doing quite a good job on your own.

I agree with JPG that Lloris is better than Brad, but don't agree at all that AVB made the wrong choice starting Friedel for a few weeks. Lloris is new to the league, and without a pre-season had absolutely no understanding established with any of the back four, and no experience of the physical aspect of the Premier League. AVB was sensible to pick Friedel to start because of this, and also he was taking enough flak in the press as it was without upsetting the team by dropping Friedel for no reason, and inducing a potentially confidence-crushing 'new goalie' balls-up damaging both his already fragile reputation, and Lloris' standing with his new team mates. Friedel is 42, Lloris is the France captain and 26. He would have to be stupid to not realise that the long game was more important than him being thrown in immediately, and from what he has said in the press about this matter, it seems he is definitely not that. AVB played it well IMO.

Starting Brad for a few weeks was fair enough. Dropping Hugo after he kept a clean sheet v Villa, and then played an absolute wonder game for France in Spain was ridiculous, and I think a betrayal of Lloris. What more could he do to justify his place?

Brad was put in v Chelsea and messed it up - that game alone could cost us CL at the end of the season. Brad was then still allowed to continue, blatantly unfairly, and he let a soft goal in against Wigan that led to another costly home defeat. I don't think AVB got it right, and it could have gone a lot more wrong had Hugo not shown commendable restraint and mental strength in the circumstances.

JPG you know I appreciate Lloris talents but some of the things you're stating would only be known to someone within the inner workings of the club and extremely close to both parties. Don't believe everything you see in the press as certain publications were out to try and destabilise the club due to AVB's arrival and the French were quick to judge because in all truth they believe Lloris could have done better than us. Continental Keepers often struggle with the physicality of the PL we've all seen examples of rushed debuts so in a way although I'd of loved to of seen more of Lloris at the start of the season I think the way it was seemingly handled was fair and showed respect for all parties involved.

I agree the decision to drop him after Villa was a strange one.
However, in the Chelsea game most of the goals Friedel never really stood a chance due to terrible individual defensive errors. Admittedly the goals against Wigan, QPR, Norwich and WBA were possibly saveable, but in all those games we basically only played for one half and Friedel kept us in it. Ultimately most of the goals we conceded in the first part of the season have been due to a complete lack of composure in defence. Lloris was a victim of this against Everton (and could have done better with that headed goal BTW) and also at Arsenal.

Some of JPG's quotes from the past couple of pages:

I said all along he wasn't happy with the situation, and I was right about that.

Turns out I was right and they were wrong.

Hence my continued and correct insistence that AVB did handle the situation badly

As I've said many a time, he's now seen sense

people persisted in doubting my version of events

Hugo was unhappy that he didn't as I've repeatedly and correctly said

Do you suppose that he has any idea how much of a risibly self important, insecure and puerile bore he's making himself out to be?

JPG you know I appreciate Lloris talents but some of the things you're stating would only be known to someone within the inner workings of the club and extremely close to both parties. Don't believe everything you see in the press as certain publications were out to try and destabilise the club due to AVB's arrival and the French were quick to judge because in all truth they believe Lloris could have done better than us. Continental Keepers often struggle with the physicality of the PL we've all seen examples of rushed debuts so in a way although I'd of loved to of seen more of Lloris at the start of the season I think the way it was seemingly handled was fair and showed respect for all parties involved.

Hi Huddy, well I'm certainly not ITK. I'm just going on what I've read plus some 'common sense' in thinking as you say that given Lloris was perceived to have gone 'downmarket' in France, he would have been fuming to see his move turn into embarrassment and some humiliation as he then was 'rewarded' by playing second fiddle to a 41 year old.

I don't believe everything I read in the press, but I thought it simply 'incroyable' that AVB could treat Hugo the way he did, and I'm pretty sure Hugo felt the same way. I may be wrong, but the fact that he had to go to AVB and effectively tell him to pick him, (according to the interview he gave) shows how bad things were in danger of becoming.

I do believe, and here I'm purely speculating, that Levy would have been massively unhappy that Lloris was stuck on the bench after ENIC had brought off such a coup in the transfer market.

Most Spurs fans, though not most French football fans seem to think Hugo was treated fairly. However, I don't and I was absolutely livid after he was dropped for the Chelsea game.

I agree the decision to drop him after Villa was a strange one.
However, in the Chelsea game most of the goals Friedel never really stood a chance due to terrible individual defensive errors. Admittedly the goals against Wigan, QPR, Norwich and WBA were possibly saveable, but in all those games we basically only played for one half and Friedel kept us in it. Ultimately most of the goals we conceded in the first part of the season have been due to a complete lack of composure in defence. Lloris was a victim of this against Everton (and could have done better with that headed goal BTW) and also at Arsenal.

Hi Jammy, the Chelsea game has gone a bit blurry now for me, but I distinctly remember their first and crucial goal coming from a corner. I'm pretty sure that corner came about because once again Brad failed to dominate his area, may be wrong and apologies if I am. Then once more when the corner was taken my guess is Brad stayed on his line when maybe he shouldn't have, and also that a top top keeper like Hugo might have saved Cahill's shot. He almost certainly would have been in a different starting position. Hugo was absolutely in top form for France before the Chelsea game and I will always believe we'd have got something out of that game had he started, which he should have done.

Hi Huddy, well I'm certainly not ITK. I'm just going on what I've read plus some 'common sense' in thinking as you say that given Lloris was perceived to have gone 'downmarket' in France, he would have been fuming to see his move turn into embarrassment and some humiliation as he then was 'rewarded' by playing second fiddle to a 41 year old.

I don't believe everything I read in the press, but I thought it simply 'incroyable' that AVB could treat Hugo the way he did, and I'm pretty sure Hugo felt the same way. I may be wrong, but the fact that he had to go to AVB and effectively tell him to pick him, (according to the interview he gave) shows how bad things were in danger of becoming.

I do believe, and here I'm purely speculating, that Levy would have been massively unhappy that Lloris was stuck on the bench after ENIC had brought off such a coup in the transfer market.

Most Spurs fans, though not most French football fans seem to think Hugo was treated fairly. However, I don't and I was absolutely livid after he was dropped for the Chelsea game.

Have you for one moment considered the overall effect of a (new )managers behaviour, thought processes and integrity beyond the three people involved?

Back