• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/news/lloris-admits-early-villas-boas-showdown_62756.html

'Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has revealed that he held talks with manager Andre Villas-Boas early this season after a difficult start to life at White Hart Lane.

Lloris joined Spurs this summer for a fee of around £8m but initially struggled to earn a place in the starting XI, with Brad Friedel in fine form.

Restricted to starting games in the Europa League, the France captain has admitted that he had to confront Villas-Boas in an effort to gain a first-team place.

He told reporters: "Yes there were discussions and it couldn't go on.'

Doesn't sound like he was happy at all, which I've been saying all along :)

You wouldn't want a player to be happy if he's not in the team. But it is not a manager's job to keep him happy by putting him in the team. A manager has to make choices. And he alone is in the best position to do so. It's an impossibility, in fact, to keep every player happy by picking him in the starting eleven when he is part of a squad of more than 25. Basic maths.

The fact remains that AVB played it very well. Gave Hugo time to acclimatise to English football (even if he didn't realise that he needed it).

Last edited:
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/news/lloris-admits-early-villas-boas-showdown_62756.html

'Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has revealed that he held talks with manager Andre Villas-Boas early this season after a difficult start to life at White Hart Lane.

Lloris joined Spurs this summer for a fee of around £8m but initially struggled to earn a place in the starting XI, with Brad Friedel in fine form.

Restricted to starting games in the Europa League, the France captain has admitted that he had to confront Villas-Boas in an effort to gain a first-team place.

He told reporters: "Yes there were discussions and it couldn't go on.'

Doesn't sound like he was happy at all, which I've been saying all along :)

Doesn't that suggest that AVB put him in the team to appease him? 'It couldn't go on?'

You wouldn't want a player to be happy if he's not in the team. But it is not a manager's job to keep him happy by putting him in the team. A manager has to make choices. And he alone is in the best position to do so. It's an impossibility, in fact, to keep every player happy by picking him in the starting eleven when he is part of a squad of more than 25. Basic maths.

The fact remains that AVB played it very well. Gave Hugo time to acclimatise to English football (even if he didn't realise that he needed it).

Good post.

JPG seems to just be ignoring any quote that Lloris made that doesn't support his point of view. Yes he wasn't happy, but that doesn't mean that he didn't accept that AVB is the one making the decisions. Something he's also said.

Doesn't that suggest that AVB put him in the team to appease him? 'It couldn't go on?'

He did, finally seeing sense, after handling the situation so badly, he forced Hugo to have to go to him.

He shouldn't have needed to appease Hugo, he should have been number one from day one.

I said all along he wasn't happy with the situation, and I was right about that.

He did, finally seeing sense, after handling the situation so badly, he forced Hugo to have to go to him.

He shouldn't have needed to appease Hugo, he should have been number one from day one.

I said all along he wasn't happy with the situation, and I was right about that.

Who has argued that Hugo was happy about being on the bench? I wouldn't want many players in the squad that are happy about being a backup, certainly none that we just signed for a decent chunk of money.

That was not all you argued, you continue to argue that AVB handled the situation badly. But I fail to see any reasoning behind it.

He didn't force Hugo to "have to go to him", AVB has made it clear that he talked with Hugo all along. I don't see what the hubbub is about, oh noes a player had to talk to the manager...

Lots of people have said, or implied, that I was wrong when I said Hugo wasn't happy about the situation. Turns out I was right and they were wrong. :)

To me it was common sense that Hugo the captain of France wouldn't be happy about the situation, but still people persisted in doubting my version of events. Deschamps made it quite clear that Hugo was unhappy and so was he, and rightly so. Hence my continued and correct insistence that AVB did handle the situation badly. As I've said many a time, he's now seen sense and so that's great. But it seems it took Hugo going to him to get the correct decision. He shouldn't have needed to do that, he should have been number one from day one.

Last edited:
Lots of people have said, or implied, that I was wrong when I said Hugo wasn't happy about the situation. Turns out I was right and they were wrong. :)

To me it was common sense that Hugo the captain of France wouldn't be happy about the situation, but still people persisted in doubting my version of events. Deschamps made it quite clearr that hugo was unhappy and so was he, and rightly so. Hence my continued and correct insistence that AVB did handle the situation badly. As I've said many a time, he's now seen sense and so that's great. But it seems it took Hugo going to him to get the correct decision. He shouldn't have needed to do that, he should have been number one from day one.

How do you get from "Hugo was unhappy" to "AVB handled the situation badly"? What's your logical connection between the two?

You keep saying that "he's now seen sense", what makes you think this? Why do you think this instead of thinking that AVB had a plan all along to let Hugo bed in a bit slower that you wanted him to?

Do you really think AVB is such a weak ass pushover? Do you think he will change his team selection just because a player comes to him and asks to play? Do you not think that AVB understood all along that the £8m, French captain wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench indefinitely?

Wait so this discussion has changed to whether or not Lloris was 'Happy or not'?

Instead of whether or not AVB handled the situation well?

To me it was common sense that Hugo the captain of France wouldn't be happy about the situation, but still people persisted in doubting my version of events. Deschamps made it quite clearr that hugo was unhappy and so was he, and rightly so. Hence my continued and correct insistence that AVB did handle the situation badly. As I've said many a time, he's now seen sense and so that's great. But it seems it took Hugo going to him to get the correct decision. He shouldn't have needed to do that, he should have been number one from day one.

He may not have been happy it doesn't mean what AVB did was wrong. It's not common sense to chuck someone who hasn't played in the PL, who hasn't had a pre season with his new team and probably can't even speak english into a PL match, if anything it's a dissaster waiting to happen

To me it was common sense that Hugo the captain of France wouldn't be happy about the situation, but still people persisted in doubting my version of events. Deschamps made it quite clear that Hugo was unhappy and so was he, and rightly so. Hence my continued and correct insistence that AVB did handle the situation badly. As I've said many a time, he's now seen sense and so that's great. But it seems it took Hugo going to him to get the correct decision. He shouldn't have needed to do that, he should have been number one from day one.

Is this for real? You're trying to take credit for stating that a player that was first choice for his previous team and country might not be happy that he's second choice?

I thought i read it all:rolleyes:

How do you get from "Hugo was unhappy" to "AVB handled the situation badly"? What's your logical connection between the two?

You keep saying that "he's now seen sense", what makes you think this? Why do you think this instead of thinking that AVB had a plan all along to let Hugo bed in a bit slower that you wanted him to?

Do you really think AVB is such a weak ass pushover? Do you think he will change his team selection just because a player comes to him and asks to play? Do you not think that AVB understood all along that the £8m, French captain wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench indefinitely?

I get from A to B from the fact that captain of France should have been number one from the start, hence AVB handled it badly.

Overall AVB has done a great job, but early on he made some massive errors, including nearly selling Dawson, having Hugo play second fiddle to Brad, and some tactical errors in subs trying to protect leads and also player selection.

He's now settled in and doing extremely well and I'm delighted for him. However, as I've said it could have gone massively wrong regarding Hugo, and indeed Daws.

I get from A to B from the fact that captain of France should have been number one from the start, hence AVB handled it badly.

Overall AVB has done a great job, but early on he made some massive errors, including nearly selling Dawson, having Hugo play second fiddle to Brad, and some tactical errors in subs trying to protect leads and also player selection.

He's now settled in and doing extremely well and I'm delighted for him. However, as I've said it could have gone massively wrong regarding Hugo, and indeed Daws.

That's not a logical connection between the two.

You've just added another statement without backing it up. "the captain of France should have been number one from the start". I see no logical connection between that and Hugo not being happy about being on the bench indefinitely.

Maybe he's settled in and doing well because he wasn't chucked in from day one and he was eased in slowly.

It could but it didn't so you probably need to get over it.

That's not a logical connection between the two.

You've just added another statement without backing it up. "the captain of France should have been number one from the start". I see no logical connection between that and Hugo not being happy about being on the bench indefinitely.

It's not to do with logic, it's to do with facts. I shouldn't need to back up my statement about the captain of France, as I've done it a hundred times or more on this forum. But anyway here goes again, Hugo is better and was better than Brad, the fact he is and was captain of France is a very good indicator of this. I have also gone into detail how Hugo is superior in every major department of keeping to Brad, whom I like BTW, time and again on here.

It's not to do with logic, it's to do with facts. I shouldn't need to back up my statement about the captain of France, as I've done it a hundred times or more on this forum. But anyway here goes again, Hugo is better and was better than Brad, the fact he is and was captain of France is a very good indicator of this. I have also gone into detail how Hugo is superior in every major department of keeping to Brad, whom I like BTW, time and again on here.

The only fact which is true is Lloris is captain of France the rest is just your opinion.

Here are a couple of facts

Lloris had never played in the Premier League
Lloris had not had a pre season with his new team

Those aren't facts. They are opinions...

Whilst i agree LLoris is looking better then Brad, it's mostly due to how well AVB allowed him to slowly settle into the side imo. Well done AVB.

Hence - As a consequence; for this reason.

When you put this word at the start of a sentence I expect there to be a logical connection between that sentence and the one preceding it. If you disagree then this isn't the place for that discussion.

-----------

I don't disagree that Hugo is a better overall goalkeeper than Brad. You say that you've stated things loads of times, I don't disagree. Many of these times there have been posts from me and others here outlining factors that could still make it a better decision to start Brad in those early games. Several times you've said that these were good points. I haven't seen you make a counter argument against those points. When you then revert to saying that AVB was wrong, you were right and the reason is that Hugo is the better goalkeeper for the hundredth time (your words, not mine) you can't be surprised when people again post arguments that you haven't made counter arguments to.

Back