• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Fair play to you EG - I've been banging the drum for Hugo since he joined, and if you have too, all respect to you.

I find it almost impossible to fathom the low key, lukewarm reception a world class player who is captain of France has recieved at the Lane and by the media. It makes me quite furious actually, but c'est la vie :)

Me too.
He was a dream signing.
I simply couldn't believe that we got a player of his calibre. And the low price made it even more sweet.

I think it is the nature of the goalkeeping position that is not going to attract as much fanfare unless it is for massive money, is for one of the top 3 keepers in the world or is concerning a player that is especially individual in his style.

But I don't see why it's essential above the other qualities I mentioned. I mean Paul Robinson's distribution was very good, but the rest of his game was lacking.

Like Raziel already pointed out Robbo's distribution wasn't good.

If distribution to you just means being able to kick a football very far then it's no wonder you don't think it's an important quality.

For the record I didn't say that distribution is essential above the qualities you mentioned, just that without good distribution I struggle to see how anyone could be classed as a top goalkeeper.

Me too.
He was a dream signing.
I simply couldn't believe that we got a player of his calibre. And the low price made it even more sweet.

I think it is the nature of the goalkeeping position that is not going to attract as much fanfare unless it is for massive money, is for one of the top 3 keepers in the world or is concerning a player that is especially individual in his style.

I think it's pleasing though the loyalty that some fans clearly have towards Brad to pretend that he's as good as Lloris. Quite an act to maintain this pretence.

Me too.
He was a dream signing.

Well said

I think it's pleasing though the loyalty that some fans clearly have towards Brad to pretend that he's as good as Lloris. Quite an act to maintain this pretence.

It's been amazing to me, and I think has damaged some people's credibility as a judge of football, not just on here, but Stop! Hammer time :)

I don't quite how Brad garnered so much loyalty so quickly. He has only been with us for a 1 full season and a half, yet some act like he has been our legendary keeper for season after season. Not criticising his quality at all just find it a mite befuddling.

It's been amazing to me, and I think has damaged some people's credibility as a judge of football, not just on here, but Stop! Hammer time :)

I would agree with that, some posters on here, i though, were pretty knowledgeable but their thoughts regarding Lloris and Brad have made me think again.

Was delighted when we signed Lloris, was delighted with the way AVB handled the situation, am delighted he is our keeper, am delighted the media aren't banging on about it.

Was delighted when we signed Lloris, was delighted with the way AVB handled the situation, am delighted he is our keeper, am delighted the media aren't banging on about it.

I wouldn't swap him for any other in the league. Easily in the discussion for world's best keeper.

For sure. The people who thought he could slot straight into the team a day after signing are jokers - why let him go straight into the team when we had a perfectly good 'keeper starting for us at the time. AvB has handled everything very well, and we now have arguably the best 'keeper in the league starting for us - someone who could be at the club for years to come.

His inclusion has helped to become a bit more solid at the back. His quickness off the line really is remarkable, great decision maker.

He's gonna be our number one for years hopefully. What a player Friedels been for us though brilliant signing at the time I only wish we'd have signed him 4/5 years before we did.

Most opposition keepers are going to be busier than Lloris, so will have an opportunity to look better.

AS, I still think you need to take a breath, step away and look at Lloris again.

What you need to look at is

- Shot stopping ability (he's good, but this is where a lot of keepers do well)
- Coming off the line to negate threats before it happens, consistently so your defenders know what decision you will make (this is where Lloris is brilliant, imo better than any other keeper in PL, and Brad's weakest area)
- Coming through players/crowd (going through if necessary), see Michu, again an area Lloris is very strong at (surprising for such a small guy), something I never felt Gomes had.
- Distribution (see Robbo for our best days of this, Gomes long throw was too slow), Lloris is good here, not the best I've seen
- Catch/Punch/Parry decisions, Gomes used to make poor calls here, weak punch, parry into middle of box, etc, think Lloris is very good here as well.

Trick is, with his age, experience, new to PL, switching CB's in front of him, for me, he's done very well. And I think, while it's not easy to say "this save against this player proves it" there seems to be something to him that is a level above any of our other keepers (and that's with due respect to those guys). I put it down to when I first saw Berbatov play, even in the end, he didn't score that many more goals than Keane/Defoe, but you knew he was a much better player.

okay, i'm not sure where i have said anything to contradict what you've said here? i wouldnt give him a 9 for that game based on what i saw. that wouldnt be objective, i still dont see this undeniable world class thing people are saying...i just see a solid good goal keeper so far....but that fletcher save was something else though... oh and mignolet had a great game.

that was pretty much it. unless you're looking to give him a 9 ....?

He's gonna be our number one for years hopefully. What a player Friedels been for us though brilliant signing at the time I only wish we'd have signed him 4/5 years before we did.

Agreed, and furthermore, where Brad is REALLY showing his class IMO, is how impeccable his behaviour has been behind the scenes, just phenomenal. He could've made Lloris' life very tough, instead he is being every inch the elder statesman/premier league legend he is and is working with the team and squad to make our current push so convincing. Delighted he elected to stay here, it says a lot.

Top man. He has ben a very important part of Hugo's transition and success here. And for all the emotions I've shared about Harry, both this and the Parker signing were both excellent work on his part...even though I was always very sad about Gomes!

Agreed, and furthermore, where Brad is REALLY showing his class IMO, is how impeccable his behaviour has been behind the scenes, just phenomenal. He could've made Lloris' life very tough, instead he is being every inch the elder statesman/premier league legend he is and is working with the team and squad to make our current push so convincing. Delighted he elected to stay here, it says a lot.

Top man. He has ben a very important part of Hugo's transition and success here. And for all the emotions I've shared about Harry, both this and the Parker signing were both excellent work on his part...even though I was always very sad about Gomes!

I agree with all of this. It's great to have someone like Friedel available that we can trust to do a job if Lloris hits a patch of poor form or if he hadn't adapted as quickly as he did. One of the reasons I wanted us to sign a new goalkeeper in the summer even though Friedel had "another year in him".

I don't quite how Brad garnered so much loyalty so quickly. He has only been with us for a 1 full season and a half, yet some act like he has been our legendary keeper for season after season. Not criticising his quality at all just find it a mite befuddling.

15 years of prem experience, top keeper, had played something like 9 seasons straight without missing a start, and could go another 2-3 years no problem

really? has he shown that with us this season do you think?

There aren't many brilliant keepers in the Premier League at the moment. Its a bit of a drought - Harte is over-rated. Cech is still very good, getting closer to where he was a few years ago before the head injuries. De Gea is still in progress. Sneezy is okay. Reina is poor.

I remember we were linked with him quite heavily about 3 years ago? Just before we signed Gomes.

There aren't many brilliant keepers in the Premier League at the moment. Its a bit of a drought - Harte is over-rated. Cech is still very good, getting closer to where he was a few years ago before the head injuries. De Gea is still in progress. Sneezy is okay. Reina is poor.

i can agree with this in general , most of what you're saying here is fair. But i would point out that Reina is poor now, and has not always been so.....ergo his form is not good as are most people in the liverpool squad. a persons form shouldnt be the end decisive factor as to how good they are

I'm still of the opinion that its because of what we lacked before that highlights what we have now ....and because of this we are over compensating on the praise. its like the world class tags bale had after only 6 months into his reign...it was premature....he had world class talent but he wasnt world class IMO. i honestly think he is now ...bonafide.

one has to wonder how people would react if the keeper we bought was someone else that offered the same skill set. would they be called world class too? begovic? krul? reina? czech? jaaskeilnen? vorm?

trust me when i say that the worshippers will see the above comments as me saying that lloris is crap :lol:

Back