• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

I think Begovic has been one of the standout keepers in the prem so far, but there honestly isn't another keeper in the league I'd take over Lloris.

Begovic again, is one of those who is a great shot stopper - there are loads of them about and you dont have to pay silly money for. What sets world class, or at least potentially world class, is the command of an area, presence, decision making - i alluded to these at the start of this thread. It is very rare to have a goalkeeper who genuinely has these attributed as well as shot stopping and reactions. To get the complete package generally doesnt happen very often.

A forum i like to read is 'goalkeeper talk' there is a small thread on Lloris here

http://www.goalkeepertalk.com/index.php?/topic/6040-hugo-lloris-starts/page__st__20

Last edited:
Begovic again, is one of those who is a great shot stopper - there are loads of them about and you dont have to pay silly money for. What sets world class, or at least potentially world class, is the command of an area, presence, decision making - i alluded to these at the start of this thread. It is very rare to have a goalkeeper who genuinely has these attributed as well as shot stopping and reactions. To get the complete package generally doesnt happen very often.

I agree with all of that, but I don't remember Begovic making too many mistakes this season, nowhere near as many as Hart.

One skill I do think is overrated though when it comes to goalkeeping is distribution. I'd rather my keeper was better at shot stopping, decision making, dealing with crosses etc.

I agree with all of that, but I don't remember Begovic making too many mistakes this season, nowhere near as many as Hart.

One skill I do think is overrated though when it comes to goalkeeping is distribution. I'd rather my keeper was better at shot stopping, decision making, dealing with crosses etc.

Begovic wont make mistakes, he is very solid. Mistakes come from having poor judgement and not reading the game. Its the same as distribution. Most world class keepers have great distribution not because they practice at it, but because they have an ability to read the game so well and also have great ball control attributes - as in long range passing or knowing how a ball will react if you launch it a certain trajectory and pace. You take any great keeper and it is always said they can hold their own out field.

just to level out my earlier comment with some YANG .... still wouldn't give him a 9 for that game or even an 8.

but he is a solid 7 or 7.5.......which standardising for goal keepers is a pretty good score IMV

still don't see the world class in him. that bit has no way come through to me yet...........(except when he stopped that first shot before oshea put in the rebound...now THAT was something). The overreaction to everything he does just reeks of not appreciating what we have here. By all account Mignolet had a just as good a game if not better...

Played really well against Sunderland, not too many saves to make but did seem confident claiming the ball and a few quality punches as well.

I think best goalkeeper in the country is a bit strong, and although I really haven't watched enough football to properly back that opinion I'd say that he's had good games but I haven't seen him make the impossible saves you'd expect the best goalkeeper in the country to make, but perhaps he hasn't had the opportunity to do so just yet. I'm very happy with him as our number one though, now it's time to get our goalkeeper situation sorted out so we're not paying the wages of four senior goalkeepers please Mr Levy.

agreed,.......like 10 games in and he's getting that. How do you rate someone in a new environment as the best based on a TINY sample? especially when you compare it to others that have been here and proved what they can do year in year out...even if they are suffering bad form (reina is who i am thinking of)

just to level out my earlier comment with some YANG .... still wouldn't give him a 9 for that game or even an 8.

but he is a solid 7 or 7.5.......which standardising for goal keepers is a pretty good score IMV

still don't see the world class in him. that bit has no way come through to me yet...........(except when he stopped that first shot before oshea put in the rebound...now THAT was something). The overreaction to everything he does just reeks of not appreciating what we have here. By all account Mignolet had a just as good a game if not better...

THAT save really was breath taking. It really was a shame that O'Shea scored straight after as it took the gloss off it.

It is early days but Lloris appears to have the most important trait a goalkeeper needs in my opinion and that is decision making. Knowing when to twist or stick is key. Gomes too far one way and Brad too far the other.

Begovic made loads of mistakes the previous two seasons, that's why he was in and out of the side.

I've never seen a keeper like Hugo though, it's hard to explain but it 's like he's more than just a goalkeeper, he's basically an extra defender who can use his hands.

Distribution is just one of those skills you must master to be a top class goalkeeper. I struggle to think of even a single top side in the last 10 years to have a goalkeeper who didn't have good distribution. You don't need the Gomes style massive throw or pinpoint accuracy, but to be a top keeper you must be at a certain level or you become a liability.

Most opposition keepers are going to be busier than Lloris, so will have an opportunity to look better.

AS, I still think you need to take a breath, step away and look at Lloris again.

What you need to look at is

- Shot stopping ability (he's good, but this is where a lot of keepers do well)
- Coming off the line to negate threats before it happens, consistently so your defenders know what decision you will make (this is where Lloris is brilliant, imo better than any other keeper in PL, and Brad's weakest area)
- Coming through players/crowd (going through if necessary), see Michu, again an area Lloris is very strong at (surprising for such a small guy), something I never felt Gomes had.
- Distribution (see Robbo for our best days of this, Gomes long throw was too slow), Lloris is good here, not the best I've seen
- Catch/Punch/Parry decisions, Gomes used to make poor calls here, weak punch, parry into middle of box, etc, think Lloris is very good here as well.

Trick is, with his age, experience, new to PL, switching CB's in front of him, for me, he's done very well. And I think, while it's not easy to say "this save against this player proves it" there seems to be something to him that is a level above any of our other keepers (and that's with due respect to those guys). I put it down to when I first saw Berbatov play, even in the end, he didn't score that many more goals than Keane/Defoe, but you knew he was a much better player.

Distribution is just one of those skills you must master to be a top class goalkeeper. I struggle to think of even a single top side in the last 10 years to have a goalkeeper who didn't have good distribution. You don't need the Gomes style massive throw or pinpoint accuracy, but to be a top keeper you must be at a certain level or you become a liability.

But I don't see why it's essential above the other qualities I mentioned. I mean Paul Robinson's distribution was very good, but the rest of his game was lacking.

But I don't see why it's essential above the other qualities I mentioned. I mean Paul Robinson's distribution was very good, but the rest of his game was lacking.

But Robbo allowed us to have a brick midfield, by a goal route of Robbo ->Berb -> Keane -> Goal (btw, just having fun there)

Poor distribution can hand the possession back to opposition too quickly, or fail to take advantage of when the opposition has committed players to your half by taking too long to get the ball back into play, etc.

At the highest levels, games are won by little advantages, good distribution is a great asset (won't make up for a otherwise brick keeper, but can make a difference between higher level keepers)

Robinson's distribution was poor. His main asset is the ability to kick the ball really far, that's not the same.

Hugo makes practically every other keeper look clumsy and ordinary, he is so elegant. I've never seen a keeper like him, Big Pat was aesethetically delightful to watch but Hugo is even more pleasing on the eye.

A goalkeeper doesn't need to be making outstanding saves to be the best keeper in the country, or to deserve 9s and 10s, he needs to be brilliant at what he does and needs to do. I've seen Hugo make amazing saves for France/on you Tube so he can do that schtick too.

When Banks was the best goalkeeper in the world, he didn't make outstanding saves on a regular basis, he just did what he had to do. When England won the World Cup I don't recall him making one incredible save, but it was pretty unaminous that he was the best keeper in the world.

I'm so pleased with Hugo I've adapted a little song for him.

He flies through the air with the greatest of ease
He comes from Lyon, his name is Lloris

The Lloris has to be pronounced in a French way to make it kinda rhyme.:)

Last edited:
Begovic made loads of mistakes the previous two seasons, that's why he was in and out of the side.

I've never seen a keeper like Hugo though, it's hard to explain but it 's like he's more than just a goalkeeper, he's basically an extra defender who can use his hands.

Agreed, I've never seen a keeper like Hugo, it's like he's rewriting the textbook. We've had sweeper keepers before,
but this is different.

To think we came so close to signing Begovic - just our scheduling of his medical alongside Pletikosa's meant that he didn't agree to complete the move.
If we'd got him, I wonder whether either Friedel or Lloris would have ever been bought in.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/hugo-lloris-his-hugely-positive-impact-at-tottenham/

Great article - coulld have written it myself - but didn't BTW :)

Hugo's become the best keeper in the country even quicker than I could have imagined.

That's what I said first! Well admittedly I said that he was the best keeper we've had since way back past the Eric the Viking days. And Eric had been set as the test for just how good he was by another poster.

If he was a striker, he would have cost £35m+! And yet he's equally as important as a striker as he WILL help win us points.

That's what I said first! Well admittedly I said that he was the best keeper we've had since way back past the Eric the Viking days. And Eric had been set as the test for just how good he was by another poster.

If he was a striker, he would have cost £35m+! And yet he's equally as important as a striker as he WILL help win us points.

Fair play to you EG - I've been banging the drum for Hugo since he joined, and if you have too, all respect to you.

I find it almost impossible to fathom the low key, lukewarm reception a world class player who is captain of France has recieved at the Lane and by the media. It makes me quite furious actually, but c'est la vie :)

Back