• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

I think Lloris will only get better with time, I especially like the way he seems to like to take control at the back. Sure there will be situations where this will backfire, but I'd prefer the keeper to be outplayed being proactive than stand idly on the line making the target so much wider. And he seems so much sharper than say Gomes, who was a red card/penalty waiting to happen when rushing out.

I think most spurs fans were rating him on his performances here. Which were not world class. However after being given time to adapt to the league and get used to his back four, he has improved upon those performances.

Brad was performing as well as him, he was not 'as good as him' there is a huge difference.

i love you so much right. the ability to see things objectively and apply context is very hard to acheive but you managed it in one line.

a few people in this thread cant see that distinction. quite honestly from experience dealing with them they will see whatever it is they want to see.

Lloris wasn't amazing from game 1, and wasn't necessarily better than Friedel but defenders and goalkeepers rarely are, they need time to bed in. Which is what makes Vertonghen's swift adaption to Spurs and the Premiership so impressive. Now he is getting settled Lloris looks the nuts.

but thats the point, you tell someone that both people were performing this season at similar levels (at the time of comment) albeit in differing style, games and game difficulty...and then acolytes take that as a stain on lloris and draw wrong conclusions. fact of the matter is that lloris was not out performing brad this season when he first started being in goal for us. he didnt play badly but he didnt hav the chances as much as he has now to display his skill set.

but now it is much clearer what lloris offers ahead of brad....still doesnt change that early on both were performing at similar levels

I disagree, in hindsight I think AVB handled it excellently. Hugo himself has come out to say that he needed time to bed in and get used to the league. Despite intense pressure from the media and from the French AVB did exactly that, introduced him slowly and gave him the time he needed. I think we are now reaping the benifits of that, imagine the madness had he thrown him in at the deep end and he had made a high profile error, he would be 'Gomez Mark 2' and the media would have been all over him and AVB. It's not like Brad was absolutely pants and keeping him in goal was costing us points at the time.

agreed

Why you would trust information from the tabloids I don't understand.

I see nothing other than baseless speculation to support your point that the situation was poorly handled by AVB. The fact is there have even been comments from Hugo himself saying that it took him some time to adjust, indicating that giving him some time to settle was a good thing. He also made comments to contradict media reports that he was unsettled. AVB also clearly denied that there was a problem between him and Hugo. What more do you want? The tabloids to admit that they sometimes make brick up?

I didn't compare Lloris to De Gea, I compared the situation. Everyone knows that goalkeeping errors happen sometimes and everyone knows that the pressure on an expensive new goalkeeper at at top side in England is going to be pretty massive. Attempting to minimize this pressure early on seems like a great idea. Especially when it can be done by playing a good, solid goalkeeper who was good enough to help us secure 4th the previous season while carrying some continuity in a squad that was going through a lot of changes.

Excellent post.

Why you would trust information from the tabloids I don't understand.

I see nothing other than baseless speculation to support your point that the situation was poorly handled by AVB. The fact is there have even been comments from Hugo himself saying that it took him some time to adjust, indicating that giving him some time to settle was a good thing. He also made comments to contradict media reports that he was unsettled. AVB also clearly denied that there was a problem between him and Hugo. What more do you want? The tabloids to admit that they sometimes make brick up?

I didn't compare Lloris to De Gea, I compared the situation. Everyone knows that goalkeeping errors happen sometimes and everyone knows that the pressure on an expensive new goalkeeper at at top side in England is going to be pretty massive. Attempting to minimize this pressure early on seems like a great idea. Especially when it can be done by playing a good, solid goalkeeper who was good enough to help us secure 4th the previous season while carrying some continuity in a squad that was going through a lot of changes.

Fair comments, but I still see AVB in the wrong over this, and it was frankly ridiculous to support an inferior keeper like Brad over a world class keeper like Hugo for so long. It may yet cost us the CL place we all desire.

I think Lloris will only get better with time, I especially like the way he seems to like to take control at the back. Sure there will be situations where this will backfire, but I'd prefer the keeper to be outplayed being proactive than stand idly on the line making the target so much wider. And he seems so much sharper than say Gomes, who was a red card/penalty waiting to happen when rushing out.

Hugo will get better with time, but he was better than Brad from day one, and good luck to those who doubted that, I think they were wrong.

Fair comments, but I still see AVB in the wrong over this, and it was frankly ridiculous to support an inferior keeper like Brad over a world class keeper like Hugo for so long. It may yet cost us the CL place we all desire.

It may yet also earn us the CL place we all desire...

It may yet also earn us the CL place we all desire...

Well when it happens people will declare it both ways anyway and it will lead to a silly debate of 'what if' that nobody can win..

1: he'd have won more points if he'd played from the start.

2: he'd have not have time to adapt, made more mistakes and lost us points at the start..

Yawn..

Well when it happens people will declare it both ways anyway and it will lead to a silly debate of 'what if' that nobody can win..

1: he'd have won more points if he'd played from the start.

2: he'd have not have time to adapt, made more mistakes and lost us points at the start..

Yawn..

Exactly my point. Hence why such arguments are no good.

No arguement from me that Lloris is a superior keeper, but you act like Friedel wasn't playing great at the start of the season, which he was, and he was dropping clangers every week and costing us points.

No arguement from me that Lloris is a superior keeper, but you act like Friedel wasn't playing great at the start of the season, which he was, and he was dropping clangers every week and costing us points.

I don't think Brad was playing great at the start of the season, so that's why I act like that. I think there were doubts about his keeping in all our early league games, that's why I was so happy when we got Lloris in, because I think Brad's 'stay at home tactics' were costing us and would continue to cost us.

Better, but not more useful to us. FIFA is not real.

exactly. some mythical fifa/reputation rating means nothing. spurs would be in the same exact position they are now if brad was starting.

such short memories some people have, brad was saving games by himself early in the season.

now that the defense has settled down and hugo is barely facing anything, that doesnt mean anything.

exactly. some mythical fifa/reputation rating means nothing. spurs would be in the same exact position they are now if brad was starting.

such short memories some people have, brad was saving games by himself early in the season.

now that the defense has settled down and hugo is barely facing anything, that doesnt mean anything.

*defenCe.

Completely disagree, Brad was causing us problems early in the season and would have continued to cause us problems. Hugo has less work to do because he commands his area, something 'stay at home' Brad palpably fails to do.

Hugo 7 clean sheets, Brad zero.

Hugo 25 points from 11 games (title challenging/winning form)

Brad 14 points from 10 games (midtable form)

Brad was SUPERB in the game against WBA but arguably cost us the three points with their last minute goal.

Back