• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

It's pretty mad that he's only just turned 26, he has so much top flight experience already. The guy next to me at the Stoke game said we should get a younger keeper in as his back up(obviously this was before Friedel signed a new deal), anyway I asked him whether he had any name in mind and he said Ben Foster. I couldn't be bothered to tell him that he's actually 3.5 years older than Hugo :p

yep , at the time i said it i stand by it. BOTH in their overall displays were for me virtually indistinguishable as far as game performance scoring goes. just cause one does things differently than another doesnt make one better than the other automatically

brad was constantly getting knocked by people on here because he had good positioning and anticipation of shots. people keep saying he had little to do saves wise or that the shots were straight at him. rubbish

then blaming goals on him and not considering the team aspect of things.

very annoying

right now though it is clear that lloris is a much more spring chicken than brad......and just like brad is a solid goal keeper

i still dont see the schmeicel in him though..this undisputed world class tag ...i dont see it

Not unless the discussion is framed by the context of a team's particular playing style - which make Lloris, for me, the better option for us.

Not unless the discussion is framed by the context of a team's particular playing style - which make Lloris, for me, the better option for us.

this is the bit i dont get , what is our playing 'type' that has evolved soooo drastically over the years prior to avb joining us? Gomes and freidel BOTH had record like setting years in number of clean sheets for us......and that points to either a solid team defensive performance or a possession based team

freidel was there last season , yes? did we play badly? no....did we do well defensively? yes...did we go on a monster run? yes.....did we finish 4th? yes......were people happy with Brad throughout the year? yes

lloris is the better option, i see that now, or at least at this moment in time i see it...but thats more to do with how YOU WANT us to play 24/7 ...... how the team should 'look' . thats not necessarily to do directly with points.

and another thing...lloris may be passing the ball more than brad, but i dont know if its the confidence players have in him , or whether its because of AVB...but players are showing more for him to receive the ball....there is more of a hustle to get into passing positions now than before it seems...i am not sure why

but sure, if your issue is about how you want your team to play as often as possible then Hugo is clearly the guy you want

i still dont see the world class, i just see another good goal keeper. there are quite a few in this league

Ohhhhh I'm sure there's a way to be found...;):-"

yes there is......starts with 'T' ends with an 'M' ;)

but i'll give in to the idea of bumping up that stat due to the pressure of the media, his international coach, the competition for brad, a new league with a totally different playing style and culture.

he has done good.

this is the bit i dont get , what is our playing 'type' that has evolved soooo drastically over the years prior to avb joining us? Gomes and freidel BOTH had record like setting years in number of clean sheets for us......and that points to either a solid team defensive performance or a possession based team

freidel was there last season , yes? did we play badly? no....did we do well defensively? yes...did we go on a monster run? yes.....did we finish 4th? yes......were people happy with Brad throughout the year? yes

lloris is the better option, i see that now, or at least at this moment in time i see it...but thats more to do with how YOU WANT us to play 24/7 ...... how the team should 'look' . thats not necessarily to do directly with points.

and another thing...lloris may be passing the ball more than brad, but i dont know if its the confidence players have in him , or whether its because of AVB...but players are showing more for him to receive the ball....there is more of a hustle to get into passing positions now than before it seems...i am not sure why

but sure, if your issue is about how you want your team to play as often as possible then Hugo is clearly the guy you want

i still dont see the world class, i just see another good goal keeper. there are quite a few in this league

African I havent really entered into the whole goalkeeping debate simply because I dont know too much about keeping. However what I did want was a keeper who was proactive rather than reactive. Lloris seems to be that and he is always there when the ball enters that box of ours.

When im watching a game and a ball is hoofed and the camera is going from left to right, I know our keeper will be there getting that, even if there is an opposition player running onto the ball. Its that kind of confidence that he has given me and im certain he has given to the defenders.

Another point he is very very communicative and you can hear him at WHL (im 40 yards away in the top tier PL Upper) yet I can hear him clearly.

There arent many goalkeepers as pro active as him there arent many keepers who try to dominate their area the way Lloris does.

When im watching a game and a ball is hoofed and the camera is going from left to right, I know our keeper will be there getting that, even if there is an opposition player running onto the ball. Its that kind of confidence that he has given me and im certain he has given to the defenders.

Another point he is very very communicative and you can hear him at WHL (im 40 yards away in the top tier PL Upper) yet I can hear him clearly.

There arent many goalkeepers as pro active as him there arent many keepers who try to dominate their area the way Lloris does.

I absolutely LOVE Lloris for this reason, and I think that it's what the tabloids overlooked in the fiasco over who was our number one. In a Europa game [i think against Panathanaikos, though I could be wrong] there was a moment when the ball got played in behind Walker, and Lloris rushed out to the 18 yard line, swept it from the feet of the attacker, got up and pass the ball on calmly...the impressive thing about this is that it seems to just be a natural inclination for him. Even the punch against Michu was a matchwinning intervention that seemed to get little recognition [probably due to the fuss over the game not being stopped]. Lloris does a lot of things throughout the game that prevent the type of goals that we've conceded alot in recent times. I get the sense that the defenders feel alot more comfortable playing with him behind them, and thats contributed to us seeming alot more solid in recent weeks. I noticed that when Brad came back into the team for a game a few weeks ago he was rushing off his line alot more as well...AVB/Lloris's influence maybe?

...I noticed that when Brad came back into the team for a game a few weeks ago he was rushing off his line alot more as well...AVB/Lloris's influence maybe?

I noticed that too. Brad was probably thinking to himself he better reinvent himself as a sweeper keeper to get back in the team. Old dog, new tricks?

I noticed that too. Brad was probably thinking to himself he better reinvent himself as a sweeper keeper to get back in the team. Old dog, new tricks?

Yh :D ... i thought it was a good sign for our general setup, and got me thinking about something AVB said in an interview earlier in the season: "Football is a simple game with many complex variables". I think that pretty much explains AVB's philosophy: if you can minimise the impact that these 'variables' have, you're more likely to be successful, and consistent. Whereas in previous years changing one player [particularly in defence] made a MASSIVE difference to our team, we're now getting to a point where rotation has less of an effect to our style of play. People often criticise 'Arry for not rotating, or having a plan B, but I think it was more a case of not being able to implement Plan A unless his first choice 11 was fit and firing. The way our defence is set up now, no matter who comes into the team they know where the line should be, that the keeper is going to sweep up behind them etc. This can only be a good thing when we [hopefully] qualify for Europe.

WhoScored.com @WhoScored

Hugo Lloris: Has the best apps per clean sheet record of any GK in the PL this season (1.8) followed by Begovic (2.1) & Cech/Szczesny (2.25)

African I havent really entered into the whole goalkeeping debate simply because I dont know too much about keeping. However what I did want was a keeper who was proactive rather than reactive. Lloris seems to be that and he is always there when the ball enters that box of ours.

this could be the truth, but how sure can we truly be without of it without being fans of other teams?

i'm not saying what you said is incorrect, just that i would have thought there were other fans that might beg to differ about their goalkeepers

I couldn't be happier with Lloris and Brad. What other PL pairing would be better than them now? I can't think of any.

Slightly OT but Joe Hart is having a nightmare season in my opinion. There are parallels to Gomes from a few years back in that he was probably the best keeper in the league one season, and the next season just one howler after another. How he is not pilloried from pillar to post in the media is baffling.

cause he's english

remember when robbo had a bad time with us? the papers werent on his back that much...they mor tried to get sympathy for him

and when england were looking for their new number 1? every english goalie was given a chance

^ i seem to recall Robbo getting slaughtered by the press after that goal against Croatia (?) - and was in part responsible for his drop in form (through a lack of confidence brought on by the media)

David James used to get both barrels

Seaman towards the end as well . . .

i felr robbo could have been scrutinised much worse. i do remember the stick about the croatia game though but they didnt really keep up that pressure

i thought james got it because the press DIDNT want him to be the number one

dont remember seaman

but defo robbo could have gotten it alot worse

I couldn't be happier with Lloris and Brad. What other PL pairing would be better than them now? I can't think of any.

Slightly OT but Joe Hart is having a nightmare season in my opinion. There are parallels to Gomes from a few years back in that he was probably the best keeper in the league one season, and the next season just one howler after another. How he is not pilloried from pillar to post in the media is baffling.

my view is his stock went up too quickly without people judging him over 2/3 seasons. Every player can have a good season. Yes he is a good keeper, world class? Not yet and nowhere near. There have been very few world class goalkeepers in my lifetime.

The press built him up and up and to an extent, i think Hart believed it. Look at him now, in his press conferences he says some brick that should never be uttered by a player. Personally, i get the feeling he thinks he is unstoppable for both club and country, and he is probably right (who is going to threaten him long term?) so he can do what the fudge he wants without any fear of losing his place.

this could be the truth, but how sure can we truly be without of it without being fans of other teams?

i'm not saying what you said is incorrect, just that i would have thought there were other fans that might beg to differ about their goalkeepers

From my perspective ALTHOUGH I dont actually watch much football and actually hate it apart from watching Spurs (I love em just not in love with football). Just from the limited matches I have seen and from watching spurs as they do play other opposition. Maybe De Gea is one.

my view is his stock went up too quickly without people judging him over 2/3 seasons. Every player can have a good season. Yes he is a good keeper, world class? Not yet and nowhere near. There have been very few world class goalkeepers in my lifetime.

The press built him up and up and to an extent, i think Hart believed it. Look at him now, in his press conferences he says some brick that should never be uttered by a player. Personally, i get the feeling he thinks he is unstoppable for both club and country, and he is probably right (who is going to threaten him long term?) so he can do what the fudge he wants without any fear of losing his place.

Erm...sorry if this is a bit pedantic, but arent there always World Class keepers? isnt being "world class" relative to the stat quo? Granted, the phrase gets overused a great deal, but I think its being harsh to say Joe Hart is "nowhere near" being World Class; how many keepers can you name that are better than him?

Back