• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

It's not so much his lack of pace ( he is a plodder though) its the defensive reading of the game which is the biggest problem. The number of times i have seen opposistion players run in behind him because he is ball watching is not good enough.

As for Hoddle he is the best player i have seen in a Spurs shirt and i go back to the early 60's, he is streets above Hudd and the comparison is a poor one.

Funny how two people can see the same thing so differently. I think his reading of the game makes up for his movement pretty well. I think he's generally quite adept at closing off passing angles and then closin the player.

Maybe you're thinking of when he was in a midfield 2 which will always struggle against a 3 (although the midfield 2 he was in was pretty effective).

As for the Hoddle comment, I wasn't comparing the players. It was more an example of the ridiculous English mentality that values fight and effort over intelligence and skill (see my various Parker comments).

I rate Hudd. Lovely passer. But he lacks mobility and you need someone like Sandro in there to win the ball. Because he lacks a yard of pace he give away alot of free kicks as well.

Funny how two people can see the same thing so differently. I think his reading of the game makes up for his movement pretty well. I think he's generally quite adept at closing off passing angles and then closing the player.

Maybe you're thinking of when he was in a midfield 2 which will always struggle against a 3 (although the midfield 2 he was in was pretty effective).

As for the Hoddle comment, I wasn't comparing the players. It was more an example of the ridiculous English mentality that values fight and effort over intelligence and skill (see my various Parker comments).[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying about Hoddle and the way the game is built around effort and commitment, however the Hudd is nowhere good enough ( imo) to suggest he will be any more then a bench player at a top club.

He can not defend, he can not tackle, he can not head a ball, the occasional hollywood ball does not make up for all faults in his game. As for his shooting occasionally he hits the target but most often then not he blazes it high and wide, his free kicks from the edge of the box more often then not hit the wall. As i have said he shuts down when we are defending and loses track of his opponent.

But as i have said its just my opinion and others may feel diffrently, i will be really surprised though if he is not gone by the end of next season.

He defended, tackled and headed just fine in a midfield 2 with Modric. And was superb in a midfield 3 (modric coming in from the flank) with Modric and Palacios in the first season we finished 4th.

Equally he did just fine in the CL.

As well as that he has done a passable (rather than great) job at CB.

All in all I dont think your criticism is fair at all.

He defended, tackled and headed just fine in a midfield 2 with Modric. And was superb in a midfield 3 (modric coming in from the flank) with Modric and Palacios in the first season we finished 4th.

Equally he did just fine in the CL.

As well as that he has done a passable (rather than great) job at CB.

All in all I dont think your criticism is fair at all.

As i have said its just my opinion, and i stick with it.

Fair enough. My opinion is that in a good system he could prove you completely wrong.

Mind you, when it comes to this kind of situation thats hardly a bad thing is it?!

Fair enough. My opinion is that in a good system he could prove you completely wrong.

Mind you, when it comes to this kind of situation thats hardly a bad thing is it?!

Well i hope he does prove me wrong about everything i have said because if he does it will be good for Spurs, however i will not hold my breath.

He was in the midfield 2 when we qualified for the champions league and now he isn't good enough to fit in a midfield 3?

Tommy H is one of the best midfielders in the EPL. It's a matter of fitting him in without pushing Luka out to the left where he's wasted. The guy is the pivot of the team when he plays. In front of back four, everything goes thru him, leaving Luka to play behind the forwards. If only he could stay fit!!!!!!

Come back sooon Hudders ! But seriously, lay off the burgers, wings, lasagna, chili beef etc. Being so heavy and expect to play at EPL level year on year, your ankles won't take it, combined with the tackling. He's matured in his reading of the game, playing at international and CL level to boot. Could be vital to us

Well summed up for me ' (although its 8 prem goals in 7 seasons=P~)

Sorry, I did not realise it was that many . I may be old fashioned, but surely someone with great shot would score goals.

If we were after a midfield player now and his record was 8 goals in 7 seasons, would any think he had great shot?

He has about as many assist. I could cope with a player who was slow and not agile, if they really did have a great shot and could split defenses with their astute passing.

In 7 years, Hudd has not done that, he has taken plenty of shots,p[plenty of free kicks, tried plenty of defense splitting passes- the trouble is , his success rate is very, very low.

No problem with having a player of his type, would just like a much better one.

How soon people forget that.

Exactly. I agree with Scara on this. Hudd has something you cannot teach; technique and composure. These traits allow us to have more incisive possession in central midfield. Give me a team of technical players rather than cloggers anyday.

Sorry, I did not realise it was that many . I may be old fashioned, but surely someone with great shot would score goals.

If we were after a midfield player now and his record was 8 goals in 7 seasons, would any think he had great shot?

He has about as many assist. I could cope with a player who was slow and not agile, if they really did have a great shot and could split defenses with their astute passing.

In 7 years, Hudd has not done that, he has taken plenty of shots,p[plenty of free kicks, tried plenty of defense splitting passes- the trouble is , his success rate is very, very low.

No problem with having a player of his type, would just like a much better one.

He is the second assist master, it is when he is fit and i admit he has fitness issues but he is the one starting our attacks and dictating our play, the thing i like most about him is how he is prepared to switch play, from fast paced passing and the quick attacks to the more slow speed attacks. He also uses different outlets and our play seems more rounded with him in the team as the other team do not know which way we will attack them.

Quite simply after berbatov he is our best player of the last 10 years and my personal favourite.

Exactly. I agree with Scara on this. Hudd has something you cannot teach; technique and composure. These traits allow us to have more incisive possession in central midfield. Give me a team of technical players rather than cloggers anyday.

Indeed! The team - with the arch-clogger you hate so much - was three points off the top in the early winter and ten points of the two scum.

When the same arch-clogger pick up a injury, and no-one was able to continue his clogging, we waved bye bye to the lead and CL

Indeed! The team - with the arch-clogger you hate so much - was three points off the top in the early winter and ten points of the two scum.

When the same arch-clogger pick up a injury, and no-one was able to continue his clogging, we waved bye bye to the lead and CL

Parker is awful though, i watched some of the euros with some russian friends and i had to keep sayong sorry everytime he touched the ball. Did not let on that he plays for my team that would have been to much. I would rather people thought my son was the milkmans then that parker plays for the team i support.

Us losing our league position had a lot to do with bale playing in central midfield and us having no back up striker and everything to do with redknapp being an arsehole.

It's not so much his lack of pace ( he is a plodder though) its the defensive reading of the game which is the biggest problem. The number of times i have seen opposistion players run in behind him because he is ball watching is not good enough.

The same can be said of Modric. Happened several times last season IIRC.

If THudd was foreign, posters would be creaming themselves about his passing range and potential. Because he is English, he is "too slow" and a "plodder". His mobility is no worse than Modric, Kranjcar or VdV.

He is the second assist master, it is when he is fit and i admit he has fitness issues but he is the one starting our attacks and dictating our play, the thing i like most about him is how he is prepared to switch play, from fast paced passing and the quick attacks to the more slow speed attacks. He also uses different outlets and our play seems more rounded with him in the team as the other team do not know which way we will attack them.

Quite simply after berbatov he is our best player of the last 10 years and my personal favourite.

Tbh it sounds like your describing a slow version of Modric.

If we do switch to a 4-3-3, or a three man midfield in any way, it would concern me to play Modric + Huddlestone + Sandro/Parker..

There would not be enough goals in that midfield.

Parker is awful though, i watched some of the euros with some russian friends and i had to keep sayong sorry everytime he touched the ball. Did not let on that he plays for my team that would have been to much. I would rather people thought my son was the milkmans then that parker plays for the team i support.

Us losing our league position had a lot to do with bale playing in central midfield and us having no back up striker and everything to do with redknapp being an arsehole.

Sorry mate but that's a load of tosh; as for being ashamed to say he is a Spurs player - my reply to you would get me banned so I'll pass on that. All I can say is that you are one might Johnny-come-lately! Imagine if you were around 10 years ago and had the luxury of a Tramezzani, a Sinton or a Fox!

AS for your comments: Bale played central midfield during the first half of the season and we continued to win; It's not as if Pav was cutting up trees and if Parker was on the pitch against Norwich we would not have lost and would be in CL heaven right now...

Back