• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

One of our better players today I thought. Yes, he got done too easily for the goal, but at least he showed some creativity on the ball. I saw fudge all of that from the other players out there. It's obvious that there will be trouble if he is left one on one with a quick attacker inside our own box, but as a team, we should manage to avoid such a scenario. We also have to remember he is still a long way off being in his best shape. He was out injured for more than a year.

If Maribor had stuck closer to our wingers Hudd wouldn't have known what to do with the ball.

If Maribor had stuck closer to our wingers Hudd wouldn't have known what to do with the ball.
If Defoe had been 6 foot 4 and muscular he would have been a great target man.

I am not sure I get your point. There was room to find the wingers in and Hudd did it. If it was that easy to hit those passes, why didn't anyone else do it?
If they had stayed closer to our wingers, then space could have opened up elsewhere. There would have been more space between their full backs and center backs. Maybe Huddlestone, or someone else, could have threaded balls into that space for our wingers or Defoe to run onto. We simply cannot tell what would have happened if Maribor had chosen a different tactic. And I certainly can't see how the fact that Huddlestone identified where the space was in this game can be used agaisnt him.

If Defoe had been 6 foot 4 and muscular he would have been a great target man.

I am not sure I get your point. There was room to find the wingers in and Hudd did it. If it was that easy to hit those passes, why didn't anyone else do it?
If they had stayed closer to our wingers, then space could have opened up elsewhere. There would have been more space between their full backs and center backs. Maybe Huddlestone, or someone else, could have threaded balls into that space for our wingers or Defoe to run onto. We simply cannot tell what would have happened if Maribor had chosen a different tactic. And I certainly can't see how the fact that Huddlestone identified where the space was in this game can be used agaisnt him.

That was all he ever tried in this match that could be considered creative. Whenever he got the ball you knew that's what he would try to do. Luckily for us Maribor didn't do anything about it, but we didn't really create that much from it either. This leads us into the whole setup of the team, but I don't think Hudd was anything more than average today. Sandro was the only one to stand out.

That was all he ever tried in this match that could be considered creative. Whenever he got the ball you knew that's what he would try to do. Luckily for us Maribor didn't do anything about it, but we didn't really create that much from it either. This leads us into the whole setup of the team, but I don't think Hudd was anything more than average today. Sandro was the only one to stand out.
I never said Huddlestone was outstanding, but he did hit some passes at least that found people in decent areas. The fact that we rarely managed to do much from those positions was hardly his fault. Sandro did ok, but he is certainly not a creative player. He did well to get the ball into the box for the goal today, I will give him that, but I can't see how he was better than Huddlestone in this game. If Huddlestone was average, Sandro was certainly that as well.

he did the best he could..in fact better than i anticipated considering that Maribor also played a pressing game that nullified ours pretty well.
at times i thought Thudd's passing was the only source of creativity we had.

upfront more running/creating space is needed to capitalize on Thudd's passing. it has to start with defoe drifting out, rotating with attacking wingers.

The frustrating thing with Hudd (and injuries and rustiness contribute) is that he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate play. He appears to have the skills to do it but too often, in my opinion, he pings the ball back to the defender who has just given it to him rather than taking it on and initiating an attack. I do think he should be cut some slack while he builds up his match fitness. Unless there is a member in this board who has played at or close to this level who can enlighten us I would guess that it takes a while to really get back in the swing of things.

Against Chelsea he set up a goal and pinged some great passes but he flagged at the hour mark. Yesterday he got 90 minutes and was less effective but we were stll all over a very defensive team. I think many watching would have thought we looked like the home side.
I thought Naughton's long passes to the flanks were accurate, also.

The frustrating thing with Hudd (and injuries and rustiness contribute) is that he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate play. He appears to have the skills to do it but too often, in my opinion, he pings the ball back to the defender who has just given it to him rather than taking it on and initiating an attack. I do think he should be cut some slack while he builds up his match fitness. Unless there is a member in this board who has played at or close to this level who can enlighten us I would guess that it takes a while to really get back in the swing of things.

It would take a while. There is a difference between being fit and being match fit. Scholes took a while to get back into the game after being back for half a year.

i can not believe that after nearly 200 games for us they are still some fans who think he is worth a place in the team.

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you talking about when you talk about taking a game by the scruff of the neck? Anything specific?

----------------------

Edit:

Not his greatest game against Maribor, but he did alright. I have some doubts about him and Sandro together as the deep pairing in games like this one. Did very well together against Chelsea I thought, but in games we control we get very little attacking movement and fluidity.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what exactly are you talking about when you talk about taking a game by the scruff of the neck? Anything specific?

----------------------

Edit:

Not his greatest game against Maribor, but he did alright. I have some doubts about him and Sandro together as the deep pairing in games like this one. Did very well together against Chelsea I thought, but in games we control we get very little attacking movement and fluidity.

I mean that Hudd, in my recollection, has seldom been a player who has really dominated a game. When Modric was here he would be a constant danger to the opposition not only with his incisive passes but his dribbling and taking on and going past players. Hudd seems almost passive and languid at times. He has such a tasty skillset it would be great if he could raise his game.

Hudd is the complete opposite to AVB's ideal midfielder, if we can get Moutinho or someone else that AVB wants then I can see Hudd going in Jan.

Hudd is the complete opposite to AVB's ideal midfielder, if we can get Moutinho or someone else that AVB wants then I can see Hudd going in Jan.

i do not know if he will go in Jan but i believe he will not be here next season, he is not good enough.

he was good enough for a top 4 side, FACT. Currently he's not, but get him fit and he's every bit good enough for our squad and where we want to be. The more I think about it the more I think the Hudd loan was a good option had we got Moutinho.

Tom Huddlestone hopes Tottenham can finish in the top four regularly

Last Updated: November 2, 2012 9:37am

Spurs have finished fourth in two of the last three seasons and returned to the Champions League places last weekend after a 2-1 victory over Southampton.

Huddlestone, who missed nearly all of last season through injury, has started the past two Premier League games in the absence of Mousa Dembele and is now determined to help Spurs qualify for the Champions League again.

"I like to think the top four will be our natural habitat as a club," the 25-year-old told the Daily Mirror. "We've been to the Champions League before, we're aiming high again and it's good to be back.

"Basically I've lost nearly 18 months of my career to injury at a time when I should be coming into my prime.

"I had half-cemented a place in the team, we had finished fourth under Harry Redknapp and we were going well in the Champions League when I first picked up the ankle injury, and it was the start of a long struggle.

"Last year was a write-off and a nightmare, especially watching the lads do so well up until February, when they were in with a chance of the title, and then not being able to help out when results dipped a bit.

"Luckily, since we reported back for pre-season, I've been fully fit and I've enjoyed being involved with the boys again."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ottenham-can-finish-in-the-top-four-regularly

We are very lucky to have such a gifted midfield. I would like to see us adopt a more horses for courses attitude to our midfielders. Hudd is perfect against teams who drop deep and defend because he has the passing ability to switch play quickly and create openings. Against quick teams that press us, he is not always as effective because of his lack of pace. I see no reason why he can not play a big part for us this season. Same goes for Dembele, Sandro, Parker and Siggy, all of whom are quality players and should get plenty of opportunities to impress this season.

We are very lucky to have such a gifted midfielder. I would like to see us adopt a more horses for courses attitude to our midfielders. Hudd is perfect against teams who drop deep and defend because he has the passing ability to switch play quickly and create openings. Against quick teams that press us, he is not always as effective because of his lack of pace. I see no reason why he can not play a big part for us this season. Same goes for Dembele, Sandro, Parker and Siggy, all of whom are quality players and should get plenty of opportunities to impress this season.

I couldn't agree more. It is all about the right tool for the job (insert your own jokes here). If he can get back to where he was pre injury, which is far better than he is showing now I might add, then I'll be more than happy.

We are very lucky to have such a gifted midfield. I would like to see us adopt a more horses for courses attitude to our midfielders. Hudd is perfect against teams who drop deep and defend because he has the passing ability to switch play quickly and create openings. Against quick teams that press us, he is not always as effective because of his lack of pace. I see no reason why he can not play a big part for us this season. Same goes for Dembele, Sandro, Parker and Siggy, all of whom are quality players and should get plenty of opportunities to impress this season.

This is something that is often lost in the rotation debate. It becomes playing the strongest XI vs rotation. However, as you point out, intelligent rotation can be consistent with playing your strongest team for each game.

I agree, although against those park the bus teams he has to be partnered with someone like Dembele who can make those attacking runs and do something purposeful on the ball. Hudd and Sandro are both best in the deeper role (although they play it very differently). I would love to see Hudd and Dembele against some weaker sides at home when Dembele is back.

Back