• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

I watched all of the US games, Huddlestone looked in the best shape of his life. It was like he'd never been away.
Yesterday's game was screaming out for his creativity.

Based on what I've seen over the last week or two, I don't really see much of a future for Huddlestone, which is a shame because he's been one of my favourite players over the last few years. AVB didn't use him in the friendly against Valencia and then didn't even have him on the bench yesterday.

AVB's game seems to be about pressing the opposition, even in their own half. It worked well yesterday, Saudi Sportswashing Machine had very little time and space on the ball and found it difficult to keep possession and create attacks. Having Sandro and Livermore together meant that Saudi Sportswashing Machine, a team who are used to attacking a lot at home, spent much of the game on the back foot. In this instance it worked and we were unlucky to lose the game. But against teams who put 10 men behind the ball, we need someone with the vision and passing ability to find those gaps to create chances. Also in those games in which we are defending a lead or are up against someone that is pinning us back into our own half, we need someone with the vision and passing ability to set Bale or Lennon away on a counter attack when we get the ball.

For those reasons, I think Huddlestone should be a valuable asset to us, even if I agreed with the decision not to start him yesterday. But I worry that AVB will freeze him out and we won't see the best of him.

Based on what I've seen over the last week or two, I don't really see much of a future for Huddlestone, which is a shame because he's been one of my favourite players over the last few years. AVB didn't use him in the friendly against Valencia and then didn't even have him on the bench yesterday.

AVB's game seems to be about pressing the opposition, even in their own half. It worked well yesterday, Saudi Sportswashing Machine had very little time and space on the ball and found it difficult to keep possession and create attacks. Having Sandro and Livermore together meant that Saudi Sportswashing Machine, a team who are used to attacking a lot at home, spent much of the game on the back foot. In this instance it worked and we were unlucky to lose the game. But against teams who put 10 men behind the ball, we need someone with the vision and passing ability to find those gaps to create chances. Also in those games in which we are defending a lead or are up against someone that is pinning us back into our own half, we need someone with the vision and passing ability to set Bale or Lennon away on a counter attack when we get the ball.

For those reasons, I think Huddlestone should be a valuable asset to us, even if I agreed with the decision not to start him yesterday. But I worry that AVB will freeze him out and we won't see the best of him.

I agree we need a more creative player for those types of games. I'm a big fan of Hudd too. Thing is I can see his lack of mobility counting against him and I think AVB will bring in a Moutinho, Mereiles or someone he feels can create whilst also press and get up and down the park

Does everyone have to press so extensively? If Hudd sits in front of the back four the other five can do most of the pressing.

Does everyone have to press so extensively? If Hudd sits in front of the back four the other five can do most of the pressing.

Whole team has to be drilled to doing the same thing otherwise it's pointless, there'll be a massive gap.

The reason why the pressing game works so well for Barca is because everyone does including the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Pressing simply does not work if every does not do it

Apart from Barcelona, who else uses the high pressing game as a key part of their game. In the same obvious way that Barca do?
Because I'm not convinced that, for most teams, the pressing game is a viable option. Not in the top divisions anyway. It demands exceptional players - fitness and skill -throughout the team. And to have a team like that you need CL football and very rich owners -to attract and buy the best players. Or maybe just very rich owners.

Without the right players throughout the team, all that will happen is that opponents will bypass the midfield and knock the ball long whether it is down the wings or through the middle. While much of our midfield - including the pressing defensive midfielders are still in the opposition half. Especially as the game goes on and the opposition get more of the ball in situations where we are trying to press, but not doing so effectively.

For Spurs it will all about converting first half chances when the pressing will be most effective.

Plus it is predictable. It is one thing Barca setting up the same way week in week out while other teams figure out how to get the ball off them. But if we set up the same every week other managers will soon figure us out.

The reason why the pressing game works so well for Barca is because everyone does including the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Pressing simply does not work if every does not do it

Undoubtedly true - having said that, the level of pressing required against Utd away will not be the same as that against Norwich at home. These are the games I would love to see Huddlestone used as the defensive midfielder as it would give us a tremendous creative option from the back

Apart from Barcelona, who else uses the high pressing game as a key part of their game. In the same obvious way that Barca do?
Because I'm not convinced that, for most teams, the pressing game is a viable option. Not in the top divisions anyway. It demands exceptional players - fitness and skill -throughout the team. And to have a team like that you need CL football and very rich owners -to attract and buy the best players. Or maybe just very rich owners.

Without the right players throughout the team, all that will happen is that opponents will bypass the midfield and knock the ball long whether it is down the wings or through the middle. While much of our midfield - including the pressing defensive midfielders are still in the opposition half. Especially as the game goes on and the opposition get more of the ball in situations where we are trying to press, but not doing so effectively.

For Spurs it will all about converting first half chances when the pressing will be most effective.

Plus it is predictable. It is one thing Barca setting up the same way week in week out while other teams figure out how to get the ball off them. But if we set up the same every week other managers will soon figure us out.

Swansea last season.

Yesterday it worked out okay with Sandro and Livermore in midfield. They managed to put Saudi Sportswashing Machine under pressue and force them to make mistakes on the ball.
Next weekend should be a completely different game though. I expect West Brom to be well organized, sit deep and make it difficult for us to break them down. I think we need more creativity in midfield then, and Hudd could provide that. I hope he is at very least on the bench, unless he is horribly out of shape.

Yesterday it worked out okay with Sandro and Livermore in midfield. They managed to put Saudi Sportswashing Machine under pressue and force them to make mistakes on the ball.
Next weekend should be a completely different game though. I expect West Brom to be well organized, sit deep and make it difficult for us to break them down. I think we need more creativity in midfield then, and Hudd could provide that. I hope he is at very least on the bench, unless he is horribly out of shape.

Home games will have to be different. More creativity is a must because we will be coming up against the likes of WBA, Stoke etc horrible and organised teams.

No it didn't, we lost!

Just because we lost doesn't mean it didn't work, the goals were down to a very good strike and conceding a stupid penalty, nothing to do with us pressing or not.

Home games will have to be different. More creativity is a must because we will be coming up against the likes of WBA, Stoke etc horrible and organised teams.

Seems a key part of the AVB formula is to have a creative guy in the team too, in one of the positions Livermore and Sandro were in. So he will definitely want some creativity there, I just don't think Huddlestone provides the package as a player that is needed to fit into the team.

Some players just needed certain physical attributes as well. It's like playing Rafa in that position - there's a reason we don't. Huddlestone has also gone seriously down in my estimation after his tweets. Whatever his feeling towards not playing, there's absolutely no need to take to Twitter and say 'respect must be earned before being given'. He would have had plenty of tweets asking if it was about AVB, and he never denied it. He has since taken that tweet down, so it probably was him trying to stir up something. And that's just not on.

Just because we lost doesn't mean it didn't work, the goals were down to a very good strike and conceding a stupid penalty, nothing to do with us pressing or not.

We pressed, lost the ball and got picked off for the first goal. In what way did it work?

We only had 40% procession, that's not enough when you expending that much energy. It's ok pressing hard to get the ball but then you have to keep it.

We pressed, lost the ball and got picked off for the first goal. In what way did it work?

We only had 40% procession, that's not enough when you expending that much energy. It's ok pressing hard to get the ball but then you have to keep it.

The fact that we pressed and got the ball.

Pressing and getting the ball, and then losing the ball are two different issues.

Back