• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

Forgot one thing. In his 09/10 season he was 23/24 at the time, central midfielders generally are among the slowest to mature so that was actually pretty young for a regularly starting central midfielder (imo). If my memory serves me right I think Carrick was around 23 when we first signed him, Tom Cleverley who most Manu fans think will be good enough for them turns 23 this year and has little more than a handful of full games at a top club.

theres hope then. maybe he can add to his 3 england caps and become the player England have been missing?

Romeu at Chelsea wasn't particularly athletic, fast or mobile.

But significantly more so than Huddlestone in those areas.

I don't mind Huddlestone as a player, and I would hope he will be utilised. But just as AVB went into Chelsea and dropped the likes of Lampard and Cole, I think people need to realise that AVB will do similar things at Spurs because he is his own man and he doesn't seem to give a brick who the fan favourites are when making his choices (which IMO is a good thing as long as he gets it right!). The one thing I do like about AVB is that he does seem to be a man with a plan, and he seems to be arrogant enough to stick with that plan regardless. He has that self belief. I admire that and will continue to do so unless it proves obvious that the plan is completely flawed and he is too stubborn to give up on it.

:tumbleweed:

You're not being serious are you? Or do you have some weird definition of world class that only you use?

Mourinho had it at Chelsea. why shouldn't i be serious? my standards are high. hence why I don't rate Huddlestone, probablyChelsea, Utd, Arse and City fans would agree. see my post above re "top 4 club" if you still don't understand me

yes. To win the league this is a must ,just look at city.

2 world class players for each position

In an ideal world I would love two world class players but unfortunately this is realism isnt it.

Id rather have a core of 16 top quality players who can rotate and the rest with younger players like Caulker who can step in and maybe play in the EL/CC and maybe even the FA Cup

theres hope then. maybe he can add to his 3 england caps and become the player England have been missing?

Yes there is hope. He would certainly have gotten more caps in the last year had he been fit. Henderson ffs. If he will become the player "England have been missing" I don't know as in my opinion England already have the player they have been missing in Carrick, but have chosen to not use him cause someone who runs around a lot are preferred. Like I said already, Huddlestone does have limitiations, so it's all about what system is used, in a Hodgson 4-4-2 I don't think Huddlestone will be the answer.

Mourinho had it at Chelsea. why shouldn't i be serious? my standards are high. hence why I don't rate Huddlestone, probablyChelsea, Utd, Arse and City fans would agree. see my post above re "top 4 club" if you still don't understand me

1. Comparing us and our squad/approach to the Abramovich/Etihad funded playthings of Chelsea and City. We all have high standards, but expecting similar squads to them sounds deluded.

2. City don't have 2 world class players in all positions, unless Clichy, Kolarov, Toure, Lescott, Savic, Barry and Milner are world class. That's ignoring players that are better, but to me clearly not world class like Zabaleta, Richards, De Jong etc.

3. Mourinho didn't have 2 world class players for each position. Remind me again what world class striker he had on the bench to replace Drogba? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_Chelsea_F.C._season to see their squad in the 06/07 season. Go ahead, remove the starting 11 from their squad, then pick a team and let me know if that still looks "world class" to you.

4. When top 4 teams buy players it's generally not just players that are good enough for their squad, it's players that are good enough to be clear first choice players to improve their starting 11. Huddlestone might very well be good enough for our squad without being good enough to clearly improve the starting 11 of other top 4 clubs.

i appreciate your argument my friend but if we are to be a consistent top 4 club I just don't think Huddlestone is our answer. When he played 09-10 our game was to pump it up to Crouch and VDV. We have changed since then, we would be too quick for him. As said before he would be great for Sunderland, Fulham Villa etc but not for a top4 club. sorry we will have to agree to disagree, as I will have to with most on this board. Maybe its because we have not had an amazing centre midfielder like Vieira, Keane, Lampard, Gerrard that spurs fans are clinging onto the thoughts that Huddlestone is our best midfielder....

In an ideal world I would love two world class players but unfortunately this is realism isnt it.

Id rather have a core of 16 top quality players who can rotate and the rest with younger players like Caulker who can step in and maybe play in the EL/CC and maybe even the FA Cup

you are right, this won't happen. Yes Hudd would be good for the FA cup and Europa etc, and a squad player, but I can't see him in our 11 thats all. Im not saying he's brick. no prem footballer is brick, its just if we want to aspire to be a top4 club, maybe he should be in the squad, and not 11. and I have said before he would prob play well against lower teams that we cant break down (or I was told this and agreed!)

But significantly more so than Huddlestone in those areas.

I don't mind Huddlestone as a player, and I would hope he will be utilised. But just as AVB went into Chelsea and dropped the likes of Lampard and Cole, I think people need to realise that AVB will do similar things at Spurs because he is his own man and he doesn't seem to give a brick who the fan favourites are when making his choices (which IMO is a good thing as long as he gets it right!). The one thing I do like about AVB is that he does seem to be a man with a plan, and he seems to be arrogant enough to stick with that plan regardless. He has that self belief. I admire that and will continue to do so unless it proves obvious that the plan is completely flawed and he is too stubborn to give up on it.

I don't agree with significantly.

My point is that in that plan you talk of a lot of the players are expected to move a lot, run a lot and press a lot, but not that deep midfielder. I think Hudd could fit into that side plan. There is really only one problem, his lack of pace so he will sometimes struggle when teams counter attack against us and he's one of the 3 players furthest back and we get exposed. With quick central defenders that shouldn't be a massive problem in my opinion.

In my (obviously ignorant) opinion Huddlestone seems a better fit to that role than both Sandro and Parker who don't offer the passing consistency or playmaking abilities AVB seems to want from that deep midfielder.

i appreciate your argument my friend but if we are to be a consistent top 4 club I just don't think Huddlestone is our answer. When he played 09-10 our game was to pump it up to Crouch and VDV. We have changed since then, we would be too quick for him. As said before he would be great for Sunderland, Fulham Villa etc but not for a top4 club. sorry we will have to agree to disagree, as I will have to with most on this board. Maybe its because we have not had an amazing centre midfielder like Vieira, Keane, Lampard, Gerrard that spurs fans are clinging onto the thoughts that Huddlestone is our best midfielder....

I appreciate your argument as well, but you're misunderstanding me if you think I think he's our best midfielder. We actually have an amazing midfielder in Modric. Feel free to disagree about that as well, I'm not getting dragged into another Modric debate unless we actually manage to keep him.

We didn't actually have VdV in 09/10, but I see what you're saying about hoofing it, for me Hudd will be better with the ball (even) more on the ground in an AVB setup.

I appreciate your argument as well, but you're misunderstanding me if you think I think he's our best midfielder. We actually have an amazing midfielder in Modric. Feel free to disagree about that as well, I'm not getting dragged into another Modric debate unless we actually manage to keep him.

We didn't actually have VdV in 09/10, but I see what you're saying about hoofing it, for me Hudd will be better with the ball (even) more on the ground in an AVB setup.

yep my bad, sorry we had Crouch and VDV was the next year. Modric is our best midfielder IMO but as you say lets not get into that.

you are right, this won't happen. Yes Hudd would be good for the FA cup and Europa etc, and a squad player, but I can't see him in our 11 thats all. Im not saying he's brick. no prem footballer is brick, its just if we want to aspire to be a top4 club, maybe he should be in the squad, and not 11. and I have said before he would prob play well against lower teams that we cant break down (or I was told this and agreed!)

Thats the misunderstanding then. I think most agree he wont be in our starting 11 - then again not sure what formation we play but assuming 433. I would expect Parker/Sandra Modric Sigurdsson so he wouldnt be in our starting 11. But definitely as back up to someone like Sigurdsson or maybe modric.

This place truly amazes me sometimes,I think some people here would bench Pirlo because he is not fast enough for the premier league.

Wake up people,we have beaten Arsenal,Chelsea and Inter with Huddlestone in the team and I consider the Chelsea and Inter games our best performances against bigger teams in the recent years.We have actually dominated teams from start to finish with Thudd in 09-10 and our system was much superior back then than what it was last season.We were much more unpredictable(atleast when Crouch was benched),last season our whole game plan was to give the ball to Bale or Lennon and let them beat a few players and put in a cross.

Huddlestone has his limitations,but he is the type of technical player that we should integrate and make a key part of our squad.

ill say it again as I have said so many time, he is not a top 4 club player. Mid table, would do well at Sunderland or Fulham. If he is so good then why haven't Utd, City, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea put one single bid in for him.

would slow our game down so much. Hollywood passer, wow great pass Hudd you hit a 40 yard pass sideways. well done

My thoughts as well, there is so much hype surrounding Hudd which started when we bought him as a kid. He will be a bench player at best and i would not be surprised to see him leave before the season is over.

Huddlestone is my currently my favourite player at Spurs.. His composure on the ball and his passing with both feet are majectic

I thought he was brick until that season we got 4th. He might well be much worse now due to injuries and lack of match practice, but he was looking very lean and playing with serious authority - both in attack and defense. He was great that season.

If we see Tommy at his peak this year, he is definitely worth keeping, but it will be interesting to see if and how injuries have hindered him.

Gotta say we would be looking pretty badass with his and Benny's afros on the pitch at the same time haha

Thats the misunderstanding then. I think most agree he wont be in our starting 11 - then again not sure what formation we play but assuming 433. I would expect Parker/Sandra Modric Sigurdsson so he wouldnt be in our starting 11. But definitely as back up to someone like Sigurdsson or maybe modric.

If we keep Modric then I am pretty confident our first choice midfield three will be Modric, Sandro and Sigurdsson.

Back