• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

Livermore is at the moment last option from the first team although Arry seems to prefer him ahead of Sandro in certain games. I'd imagine Hudd would follow a similar pattern although possibly edging Livermore in more games than not

Last edited:
With the way we setup with Lennon and Bale on the flanks and the idea to bring the ball to the enemy third as soon as possible over the wings,there is no better CM combination than Modric/Huddlestone.

We would be absolutely destroying the smaller teams with a midfield of Bale-Modric-Hudd-Lennon and 2 strikers.
For the bigger games,drop 1 striker maybe,push Modric a bit more forward and bring in Parker or Sandro.

That's the way I'd approach the midfield I think, altohugh i'd maybe be more inclined to rotate the CM's a bit more. I honestly think they're all quality and we shouldn't lose too much by mixing and matching a bit, as long as either Hudd or Modric are there. Parker Sandro and Livermore should always have a ball player next to them, otherwise we struggle in possesion and creating chances, we've seen it a few times already this year.

It's not a position I'd even remotely be looking to upgrade on in the summer unless, say, Modric left. We have FAR bigger issues elsewhere, like cover for wings, CF's and CB's (Although Caulker could be a GHod send next season).

I think you just answered your own question - if he's behind those 3 and alongside Livermore that makes him 4th/5th in line. Which is what I explained earlier.

What do you base it on that he's alongside Livermore? Hudd was a first choice player for us in several very good seasons, Livermore has played a couple of good PL games.

There are also (at least) two central midfield positions. And I would say quite categorically that if Modric is injured, suspended or rested a fit Huddlestone should be in the side in a flash instead of a combination of Sandro and Parker. In addition to that there's the chance of him actually starting ahead of Parker and Sandro, at least in some games and of course the chance of us starting games with 3 central midfielders. Calling him a 5th choice player makes no sense to me.

That's the way I'd approach the midfield I think, altohugh i'd maybe be more inclined to rotate the CM's a bit more. I honestly think they're all quality and we shouldn't lose too much by mixing and matching a bit, as long as either Hudd or Modric are there. Parker Sandro and Livermore should always have a ball player next to them, otherwise we struggle in possesion and creating chances, we've seen it a few times already this year.

It's not a position I'd even remotely be looking to upgrade on in the summer unless, say, Modric left. We have FAR bigger issues elsewhere, like cover for wings, CF's and CB's (Although Caulker could be a GHod send next season).

I agree with all of that.

Huddlestone being out all season has made it very difficult to rotate in the centre, and has made us even more dependent on Modric than we would have been.

I'm going to bomb straight in without reading anything other than the OP.

Thudd is not the reason we are stuffing third. We were the dominating London club for over half a season and had 3rd comfortably in our hands. The reason we are now stuffing it is because Baron von Greenback has come in and used some wyrd Hasidic voodoo to tamper with Harry's brain, forcing him to bomb us out of CL places, get shoved onto the England bench and thus install his toad faced self in the WHL hot seat... I can see no other explanation for playing Modric and Bale out of position and reverting to a 4-4-2 when all we needed to do was drop Kranjcar in at RB.

Even against stoke, he still came out 4-4-2 when we had all the options to stay 4-5-1 from the beginning and all the evidence points to 4-4-2 lacking goal threat. It's either a brain fart or bad juju... Either way, our mighty gaffer needs to take a little time to refresh his mind.

Tom may have helped, or we may have shipped far more than we have this season without a DM. Fact is, the recent run of form is pretty much due to tactical error and I don't think Tom would have mae a dent on that. We're missing Lennon far more.

Captain Scotty's form has deteriorated alarmingly too, actually since the end of last year.maybe the ageing legs are not strong enough for a top 4 push.

What do you base it on that he's alongside Livermore? Hudd was a first choice player for us in several very good seasons, Livermore has played a couple of good PL games.

There are also (at least) two central midfield positions. And I would say quite categorically that if Modric is injured, suspended or rested a fit Huddlestone should be in the side in a flash instead of a combination of Sandro and Parker. In addition to that there's the chance of him actually starting ahead of Parker and Sandro, at least in some games and of course the chance of us starting games with 3 central midfielders. Calling him a 5th choice player makes no sense to me.

Yes, but since then we've acquired Sandro and Parker. Palacios was also a decent DM for us back in the day - should we recall him too? No, because we have better now. I fail to udnerstand where this bizzare logic of justifying a player's inclusion based on his form from years ago comes from. It is ludicrous at the very least but more and more apparent in numerous threads lately.

I already stated earlier that he's 2nd choice behind Modric for the ball-playing mid but 4/5th overall beacuse if all 5 are fit - that's exactly where he'll be in most games, imv. That is all

Yes, but since then we've acquired Sandro and Parker. Palacios was also a decent DM for us back in the day - should we recall him too? No, because we have better now. I fail to udnerstand where this bizzare logic of justifying a player's inclusion based on his form from years ago comes from. It is ludicrous at the very least but more and more apparent in numerous threads lately.

I already stated earlier that he's 2nd choice behind Modric for the ball-playing mid but 4/5th overall beacuse if all 5 are fit - that's exactly where he'll be in most games, imv. That is all

Well, he's been injured all season so it's tough to rate him on current performances.

When he returned from injury last season, after Sandro had started performing, Harry wanted him straight back in the side even though Hudd wasn't anywhere near full match fitness.

I ask again, what do you base it on that he's alongside Livermore? Isn't it more bizarre to rate him similarly to a player that has never, held down a starting position in a PL side and looked like a good, solid PL player in one game?

but Modric and Thudd have proved that they can play and function together and its not always necessary to have a defensive clogger in the centre of a midfield. Sandro and Parker are not good enough with their passing to help us compete against the big boys.

Man U with Carrick and Scholes are currently proof in that. If its good enough for them then why not for us.

He's alongside Livermore beacuse he'd most likely be imho behind Modric Parker and Sandro. That makes him joint 4th if you want to make it sound better. And based on Livermore's current outings - he could well edge him within a season or 2, who knows.

If we swoop for Krasic or Hazard - even more bad news for the big man. He'd be a squad player unless Modric leaves.

Last edited:
but Modric and Thudd have proved that they can play and function together and its not always necessary to have a defensive clogger in the centre of a midfield. Sandro and Parker are not good enough with their passing to help us compete against the big boys.

Man U with Carrick and Scholes are currently proof in that. If its good enough for them then why not for us.

Sandro and Parker and not cloggers :ross: - they have in fact very important defensive duties in the team. The latter has been vital for our points tally so far this season. Not to menton we'd be overrun in a 4-4-2 without a hard-man. No half-decent team plays without one these days. Scholes does that job and does it very well in fact. Hudd is nothing like him except perhaps for early signs of a good passing range

Forget 2009 - we have a different squad balance now

Last edited:
cloggers they are. Very few assists, very few goals, very few contributions to serious attacking moves.

in a 451 they are not needed thats for sure. Ok, i take your point that in a 442 yes a clogger is maybe required, especially with the flying wingers in Lennon and bale that we have. but in a 451, no way, Modric and Thudd with VDV dropping back as much as he does is enough to cope with any opposition attacks

Clogger is someone who lacks talent and basic ability, using his body mass and elementary physics to continously committ fouls and hurt players. We have no such creatures in our team thankfully

In a 4-5-1 DMs are even more crucial as the reason you'd go for that formation would be to dominate the middle so often one might opt for 2.

You want to drop both Sandro and Parker in a 4-5-1 and play Hudd who has the mobility of an oil tanker - suicide I say.

He's alongside Livermore beacuse he'd most likely be imho behind Modric Parker and Sandro. That makes him joint 4th if you want to make it sound better. And based on Livermore's current outings - he could well edge him within a season or 2, who knows.

If we swoop for Krasic or Hazard - even more bad news for the big man. He'd be a squad player unless Modric leaves.

Oh, at some point in the future Livermore might edge him? Right. And within a season or two Parker probably won't be first choice anymore either.

Krasiz and Hazard are not central midfielders in a 4-4-2 formation based on what I know of them.

Sandro and Parker and not cloggers :ross: - have very important defensive duties in the team. The latter has been vital for our points tally so far this season. Not to menton we'be overrun in a 4-4-2 without a hard-man. No half-decent team plays without one these days. Scholes does that job and does it very well in fact. Hudd is nothing like him except perhaps for early signs of a good passing range

Forget 2009 - we have a different squad balance now

In August 2010 we absolutely outplayed a Emirates Marketing Project team containing Silva, Yaya Toure, De Jong and Tevez with a 4-4-2, Lennon and Bale on the flanks, Crouch and Defoe up front, Modric and Huddlstone in the centre.

In November 2010 we outplayed the then holding Champions League champions Inter at home with a 4-5-1 formation. Crouch as a lone striker, Lennon and Bale on the flanks, midfield trio of Huddleston, Modric and VdV.

Oh, at some point in the future Livermore might edge him? Right. And within a season or two Parker probably won't be first choice anymore either.

Krasiz and Hazard are not central midfielders in a 4-4-2 formation based on what I know of them.

Yes - he might edge him in the future - but right now they're both in contention for a spot with Hudd likely to edge him in some lesser games based on experience, etc. Still doesn't change the pecking order though. I really don't understand your question. When Parker retires that's a different story - we're talking about our team now.

What happened years ago is irrelevant as we now have better players and a more balanced side, imv. We could have won those games 4:0 with some of the current players - what is the point of referencing those?

Last edited:
Alonso is nothing like Hudd as a player, he plays infront of the Madrid back line and that is his main responabilty and he does it very well. Of course he can bring the ball out but that is not his first concern. Hudd is not good enough to play the same because his defensive part of the game is no where near as good as Alonso.

Almost forgot replying to this one.

Alonso is played as one of two deep midfielders in Madrid's 4-2-3-1. He normally plays alongside either Khedira or Lass Diarra. For Liverpool he normally played alongside Mascherano. For Spain he normally plays alongside Busquets.

Hudd isn't as good as Alonso, that's fair enough. Alonso is arguably the best player in the world in his position. Both players are most known for their fantastic range of passing and both play like deep playmakers most of the time for their teams. Alonso is probably better defensively, but not by that much.

Yes - he might edge him in the future - but right now they're both in contention for a spot with Hudd likely to edge him in some lesser games based on experience, etc. Still doesn't change the pecking order though. I really don't understand your question. When Parker retires that's a different story - we're talking out team now.

What happened years ago is irrelevant as we now have better players and a more balanced side, imv. We could have won those games 4:0 with some of the current players - what is the point of referencing those?

We are talking about the team now. That's my point. You brought up that Livermore might edge Huddlestone in a couple of years, and if you wanted to bring that point in then the Parker point was just as relevant.

Years ago? You make it sound so long ago. It's a year and a half ago. And since Huddlstone has been injured for a long stretch of the games in between it's really the latest reference point we have with Hudd.

I also brought it up because you said "we'd be overrun with a 4-4-2 without a hard man", obviously not counting Huddlstone as a hard man. Yet, we overran a very good City team with a central midfield of Modric and Huddlestone in a 4-4-2 not that long ago. How is it not relevant?

Clogger is someone who lacks talent and basic ability, using his body mass and elementary physics to continously committ fouls and hurt players. We have no such creatures in our team thankfully

In a 4-5-1 DMs are even more crucial as the reason you'd go for that formation would be to dominate the middle so often one might opt for 2.

You want to drop both Sandro and Parker in a 4-5-1 and play Hudd who has the mobility of an oil tanker - suicide I say.

but in a 451 you need to dominate WITH the ball, its all about possession and you need a lot of creativity to make the system work. Parker and Sandro dont really offer that, definitely not against the better teams. With Thudd alongside Modric and in behind a floating VDV, we would have a triffic triangle of talent which would help release Bale and Lennon to do their damage in behind the opposition

We are talking about the team now. That's my point. You brought up that Livermore might edge Huddlestone in a couple of years, and if you wanted to bring that point in then the Parker point was just as relevant.

Years ago? You make it sound so long ago. It's a year and a half ago. And since Huddlstone has been injured for a long stretch of the games in between it's really the latest reference point we have with Hudd.

I also brought it up because you said "we'd be overrun with a 4-4-2 without a hard man", obviously not counting Huddlstone as a hard man. Yet, we overran a very good City team with a central midfield of Modric and Huddlestone in a 4-4-2 not that long ago. How is it not relevant?

Are you purposefully choosing not to read my posts? In the current team Hudd would be alongisde Livermore in contention for a spot in the middle with a fit Sandro, Parker, and Modric ahead of him. Any way you want to spin it.

Oh - and City only singed Silva the following season and also played a 4-4-2 that game with Ade and Tevez upfront. Yaya Toure didn't play either.

Last edited:

In August 2010 we absolutely outplayed a Emirates Marketing Project team containing Silva, Yaya Toure, De Jong and Tevez with a 4-4-2, Lennon and Bale on the flanks, Crouch and Defoe up front, Modric and Huddlstone in the centre.

In November 2010 we outplayed the then holding Champions League champions Inter at home with a 4-5-1 formation. Crouch as a lone striker, Lennon and Bale on the flanks, midfield trio of Huddleston, Modric and VdV.

yeah =D>

Back