• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Sunday was the only game we've ever won, with players out of position?

No. But what exactly does that prove? If you play 10 matches and you win 8 out of 10 with players in their normal positions and play the same matches again and win 6 out of 10 with players out of position which is better?

The biggest fudge ups made during our bad run of results were down to not having natural cover for Lennon. I still shudder at Bale on the right and Modric on the left.

No. But what exactly does that prove? If you play 10 matches and you win 8 out of 10 with players in their normal positions and play the same matches again and win 6 out of 10 with players out of position which is better?

The biggest fudge ups made during our bad run of results were down to not having natural cover for Lennon. I still shudder at Bale on the right and Modric on the left.

What if you won 9 out of 10?

What if you won 9 out of 10?

Then playing players out of position would be superior. But you wouldn't, because football is a simple game and players perform better in their comfortable positions. And more importantly than that when players play in their natural positions the team tends to be better balanced.

As you're trying so hard to try and humiliate my viewpoint here I can only assume that you believe that the way to success is to play players out of their natural positions. Let's just leave it that we disagree on this.

Then playing players out of position would be superior. But you wouldn't, because football is a simple game and players perform better in their comfortable positions. And more importantly than that when players play in their natural positions the team tends to be better balanced.

As you're trying so hard to try and humiliate my viewpoint here I can only assume that you believe that the way to success is to play players out of their natural positions. Let's just leave it that we disagree on this.

Actually, the highlighted bit is what I disagree with

There are a million and one reasons teams lose matches

It's too simple just to spew out the old "round pegs in round holes" argument

The players on Sunday highlighted that

Actually, the highlighted bit is what I disagree with

There are a million and one reasons teams lose matches

It's too simple just to spew out the old "round pegs in round holes" argument

The players on Sunday highlighted that

Once again we have a poster on here who is fixed on individual results rather than a bigger picture or pattern. What a shock.

hmm , yeah i dont think that guardiola, riijkard, van gaal, wenger and thomas schaaf got that memo

Seems like a bit of a pointless argument to me, one of Harry's strengths is that he tends to play players in their natural positions.

Sundays team selection was only made because we were without both BAE and Rose.

Bale on the right and Modric on the left was bad and made worse by the poor balance of Sandro and Parker in the middle. I don't think that you can find anyone on here that would be in a rush to try it again but I hope that we can understand why it was tried.

Seems like a bit of a pointless argument to me, one of Harry's strengths is that he tends to play players in their natural positions.

Sundays team selection was only made because we were without both BAE and Rose.

Bale on the right and Modric on the left was bad and made worse by the poor balance of Sandro and Parker in the middle. I don't think that you can find anyone on here that would be in a rush to try it again but I hope that we can understand why it was tried.

I do agree with all of that. I still maintain the biggest reason our results went awry was because Lennon was injured and we had no natural alternative. This combined with Bale deciding he wants to be a roaming player (rather than sticking wide more often than not) left us narrow and unable to stretch teams enough. We ended up playing the ball around in front of their defence and resorting too often to long range efforts.

Lennon comes back, stretches the play, is willing to go on the outside of his man and the last few games tell the story for me.

I am not adverse to playing players out of position occasionally or even trying a player in a new position (e.g. with the way we control possession and our defence is under little pressure from open play I wouldn't mind seeing Huddlestone played as a centre half for a couple of games) but in reality it's so much easier to stick players in the positions they are best at rather than shoehorning them into an uncomfortable position.

FWIW vs Fulham I did think we looked defensively frail, and I don't think Modric is the right player to play wide left but there have been times when we've dominated teams but are unable to find a way through where I've wanted Bale to be moved to left back (wing back) and someone like Kranjcar put on at wide left to give us another option. At least when played at left back Bale tends to stay wide during standard non counter attacking play.

I do wonder whether playing Bale on the right and allowing him to wander has been in part motivated by trying to develop him as a player. Both of these positions should give him more chance to practice elements of his game beyond speed and strength.

I do wonder whether playing Bale on the right and allowing him to wander has been in part motivated by trying to develop him as a player. Both of these positions should give him more chance to practice elements of his game beyond speed and strength.

Absolutely, I think Harry see's the potential in Bale to grow to something like Ronaldo (CR). when Lennon's on the pitch and keeps the width on one side and Benny makes some runs on the left, we can somewhat afford that luxury.

It's similar to Jol's efforts to play Lennon on the left, ultimately imo it made Lennon a better player.

I would hope Redknapp wouldn't be experimenting in live matches personally....

This is an excellent point, one that I realised towards the end of the season. Sure, he wasn't very effective burning through the middle, but the experience would have helped him develop further as a player.

If he's still around next season, we should begin seeing the benefits.

Don't follow the others close enough. Guardiola and especially Wenger always play to the players strengths rather than trying to shoehorn in players where they aren't comfortable.

a slight goal post change there.

cause if comfot is what you mean then sure. but you insinuated more that players should play their 'natural' positions..not just comfortable

fact of the matter is that wenger plays wingers as forwards and full backs, he playes attacking mids as wide players and he plays attacking playmakers as deep lying playmakers

guardiola plays wingers and wing forwards as Centre forwards and strikers , with their back to goal, in positions that dont even exist when the game in being played (fake 9s and all that sexy gutter boy jazz)..he too plays fullbacks as wingers, and he even plays strikers as out and out wingers / wing forwards , plays holding mids as Centre backs too

van gaal takes the tinkle..in that he plays players in at least 3 positions , even in games...(ajax when they were top)

A.G.R.E.E.D

if he gets this right he'll be one hell of a player

please tell me you've been wondering it for a long while

I think this poll is all about whether we need stability or progress more. Can see us being stable under Rednapp but just can't see us progress under him. We will always be challenging for 4th-6th under Redknapp. Just can't see us finishing in top 3 or win any trophies under him.

I'd argue that most of the players you list were good signing when they were made and helped move the club forwards.

So all the players he signs go backwards in their development. This is a sign on of a really good manager! VDV and Pallacios started like world beaters. Look at them now.

Back