• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
A few weeks ago I probably would have said yes but in the end we got 4th and hopefully Redknapp will have learned a lesson from all this flimflam. Still is most successful manager in my lifetime at Spurs so there is that. Voted No

What lessons has he learnt in the past 4 seasons? For better of worse Redknapp is Redknapp, I dont believe he is into personal development - he just is what he is.

You're speculating here.

How about players who dislike him and are desperate for a change? Or players who would join us because of a 'name'?

If Chelsea win on Saturday we have essentially finished 5h with a better squad than last year. So some can argue - offer him a new deal based on what exactly? Consistently 'just' making it or consistently collapsing in the later part of the season?

Another season is plenty of adequate time to draw an objective conclusion without committing ourselves financially to someone who I'm 150% certain would have dropped us for England if they came calling quicker than you can say Wayne Rover.

He didn't commit to us back then by telling those speculating snakes to fudge off and kept hitching skirt right to the end (via numerous sources including his sonny) - so why should we commit now? Second best? No thanks

That's a very good post.

If we keep Redknapp, then it's because it's a good deal for us - not because he "doesn't deserve getting sacked" or whatever.

Or how about - don't offer him a new contract and simply realease him next summer if we don't improve or offer him a new deal then if we exceed expectations

then we are basically in the same situation we have been the season just gone, basically everyone expecting that it will be Redknapp's last. Topo much instability for the players to handle.

no, its up to Levy, if he is happy with Redknapp, give him a new 2 or 3 year deal and just get on with it. If Levy doesnt want to commit to Redknapp in that way, then he has to say goodbye now and find a manager who he can commit to for the next 3 years

Difficult one. On a previous thread I listed 15 reasons why I felt Rednapp had shortcomings. One of them was transfer policy. His buys have been largely cack - too old, too slow, or just useless. Nevertheless, it is hard to fire someone who has achieved the objective set of finishing fourth or better.

However, going forward, should Levy trust H with our transfer budget? Remember he bought Bassong, Pallacios, Crouch, Defoe, Pienaar, Nelsen, Gallas, Parker, Saha. If Ade isnt signed permanantly, and Defoe wants to leave (who can blame him), then we are left with just Saha as a striker. We have a totally unbalanced squad - no cover for Lennon, Walker, Bale, or Ade.

I personally feel H is not the right guy to take us to the next level. We need to appoint a young manager with a three year plan and give him the budget to take us forward. Any new manager is a risk, but our last two end of season collapses, (and his comments to the press) have sealed H's fate imo. He has done a reasonable job, but how many of us would have been really sad if he had got the England job and we'd have got plenty of compo?

then we are basically in the same situation we have been the season just gone, basically everyone expecting that it will be Redknapp's last. Topo much instability for the players to handle.

no, its up to Levy, if he is happy with Redknapp, give him a new 2 or 3 year deal and just get on with it. If Levy doesnt want to commit to Redknapp in that way, then he has to say goodbye now and find a manager who he can commit to for the next 3 years

I agree. Stability is key to success.

If Harry is not the man to take the club forward and the board do not support him, then it is in the club's interest to sack him now and not leave him in limbo.

If the club support Redknapp then they should commit to him and back him in the market.

Either way, we all know where we stand and can move on and prepare for next season.

Not doing this leaves loads of unanswered questions and will come back and bite us in the next year.

If Chelsea win on Saturday we have essentially finished 5h with a better squad than last year. So some can argue - offer him a new deal based on what exactly? Consistently 'just' making it or consistently collapsing in the later part of the season?

No mate, we finished 4th, not 5th, regardless of if 4th (by a fluke of misfortune) turns out not to have the reward it has had 20 seasons out of 20.

You can't rewrite results because it suits you.

What lessons has he learnt in the past 4 seasons? For better of worse Redknapp is Redknapp, I dont believe he is into personal development - he just is what he is.

Probably with some justification too. I've never seen a successful side that was born from "building for the future". I've always said this (I remember arguing the toss from the Hoddle days!), you take care of the now. The future takes care of itself.

I mentioned nothing of building for the future, only developing oneself.

Harry is now what he was on the first day he joined IMO, thats an observation not slagging him off. He doesnt appear to have developed as a manager.

You dont think a manager should learn from mistakes and develop their abilities/strategies?

I don't think many people do period. It's interesting that most Managers tend to make mistakes by deviating what from they're best at. I think to an extent Harry did that this year. We play best under Harry when he doesn't try and be clever and keeps it all very simple. It's when he starts fudging around with new tactics, formations, playing personnel out of position etc that it all goes wrong.

Difficult one. On a previous thread I listed 15 reasons why I felt Rednapp had shortcomings. One of them was transfer policy. His buys have been largely cack - too old, too slow, or just useless. Nevertheless, it is hard to fire someone who has achieved the objective set of finishing fourth or better.

However, going forward, should Levy trust H with our transfer budget? Remember he bought Bassong, Pallacios, Crouch, Defoe, Pienaar, Nelsen, Gallas, Parker, Saha. If Ade isnt signed permanantly, and Defoe wants to leave (who can blame him), then we are left with just Saha as a striker. We have a totally unbalanced squad - no cover for Lennon, Walker, Bale, or Ade.

I personally feel H is not the right guy to take us to the next level. We need to appoint a young manager with a three year plan and give him the budget to take us forward. Any new manager is a risk, but our last two end of season collapses, (and his comments to the press) have sealed H's fate imo. He has done a reasonable job, but how many of us would have been really sad if he had got the England job and we'd have got plenty of compo?

I'd argue that most of the players you list were good signing when they were made and helped move the club forwards.

I don't think many people do period. It's interesting that most Managers tend to make mistakes by deviating what from they're best at. I think to an extent Harry did that this year. We play best under Harry when he doesn't try and be clever and keeps it all very simple. It's when he starts fudging around with new tactics, formations, playing personnel out of position etc that it all goes wrong.

So, while I take your point, I do think managers need to learn to "adjust" (is that learn?) based on different resources.

When Harry came to Spurs, I think he had spent most of his life where the first 11 was an easy pick (you barely had 11 good guys, the bench was brick), and he had problems utilizing subs. Most of our subs in the first season were with far too little time left, and very rarely to change tactic or shape.

Last year he started altering that, looking at using subs earlier (remember a couple of instances where he changed setup at half time) and with a system change in mind. I also think he was far better at utilizing the squad in cup games this year, but still see him needed to learn a better rotation policy.

Bigger clubs have bigger squads/schedules and travel demands, that a manager (old or new) needs to adapt to, leverage to get the best resources.

I don't think a tactician type manager becomes a motivator or the other way around, but managers/players certainly learn from experience. e.g. Mancini has certainly learnt to be more aggressive in the PL over his time here (something Benetiz never did).

Like on Sunday?

Two points

- Levy controls our transfer budget, Harry may chose not to want a player, but he certainly can't go buy who he wants at what price he wants. I think you also want to adjust that no cover -> not good cover. Our squad is at the level now that without stupid wages, you are not going to get anyone who is potentially as good as Bale/Ade/etc. to sit on the bench for extended periods.

- AVB/Ramos come strongly to mind for comments like this. Back to an earlier thread, next level for us is NOT challenging for the title, it's becoming CL regulars, and we are going to have to try to do that in a funny period when we are building the new stadium. It may simply be more sensible to keep Harry (if he keeps us in 5th/4th) during that period. Think this through, if we keep Harry, what is the likely worse case next season .. 6th? Lets say we take your advice and go for the guy to take us to the next level and we get Ramos MKII and languish in the bottom half of table, impact on financing and investment on a 60K seat stadium goes where?

I have purposely avoided entering this thread, and today I did. I am shocked at the vote result. I would have had it the other way by what one was reading on this MB the past 6 weeks.

My vote is keep him, ultimatley I believe the players are the ones that should decide on matters like this, and they seem to be delighted that he didn't get the England job.

Back