• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

And leave a huge gap in the defence when they have the ball? It's not the way 3 at the back works

Then what's the extra man/men doing? Teams play with a front 3 mostly so wide players are covered by the wingbacks with 3 cbs left to look after 1 cf whilst the midfield gets over run? That doesn't make sense to me and clearly isn't working, surely the extra opposition players in midfield need to be covered somewhere in our defensive third. If the spare CB picks up the most advanced opposition CM/AM then that leaves 2 cms v 2 - there shouldn't be a huge gap left if one play pushes up anyway

And leave a huge gap in the defence when they have the ball? It's not the way 3 at the back works

I think that just highlights what a crock the formation was to begin with. Three CBs to mark Nketiah whilst the midfield 4 or Sess, Sarr, PEH and Doherty match up against theirs?

Weekend just gone was on Conte not Kane

Then what's the extra man/men doing? Teams play with a front 3 mostly so wide players are covered by the wingbacks with 3 cbs left to look after 1 cf whilst the midfield gets over run? That doesn't make sense to me and clearly isn't working, surely the extra opposition players in midfield need to be covered somewhere in our defensive third. If the spare CB picks up the most advanced opposition CM/AM then that leaves 2 cms v 2 - there shouldn't be a huge gap left if one play pushes up anyway
No, the WBs aren't FBs, they've pushed up, the LCB and RCB are to cover the WBs, it's not just 1 CF being marked by 3 CBs.
And with 3 forwards the outside forwards don't stay wide, they come inside into the area that the LCB and RCB should be covering.
If you want a CB to push into midfield then it's no longer a back 3, you're changing into 2 CBs with attacking FBs.

The idea of Kane dropping onto Partey against Arsenal is because of where he is picking up the ball, deep in his own half and the closest player to that area should be Kane when we are not in possession.

Wingbacks have both defensive and offensive responsibilities, it's why good ones are so hard to find - the wide cbs cover for them when they are pushed up, they don't take sole responsibility for the opposition wide players, we wouldn't be having the discussion about Son not offering Sess enough protection vs Royal/Doherty when Kulu is playing if that was the case.

Of course they have defensive responsibilities, everyone does, but they are more attacking than FBs. There's trade offs with every system.

Of course they have defensive responsibilities, everyone does, but they are more attacking than FBs. There's trade offs with every system.
Feels like the WBs have "some" attacking responsibility but aren't brilliant at it and "some" defending responsibility but aren't brilliant at it... feels like everyone does "some" of this and "some of that" but the sum [sic] is less than if we had players devoted to one thing they are brilliant at.

Getting back to the topic of Kane, it is really sad for me.
At the end of last year we had great form, we had Son winning the golden boot, Kulu was mustard, Kane was brilliant, Conte was looking good, I really thought we could push into this year for honours with a nice push forwards. One last year for Kane to do something amazing before departing.
But he's going to leave us with zero medals.
The best striker in Prem history, in Spurs history, no medals.

Feels like the WBs have "some" attacking responsibility but aren't brilliant at it and "some" defending responsibility but aren't brilliant at it... feels like everyone does "some" of this and "some of that" but the sum [sic] is less than if we had players devoted to one thing they are brilliant at.

At the end of last year we had great form, we had Son winning the golden boot, Kulu was mustard, Kane was brilliant, Conte was looking good, I really thought we could push into this year for honours with a nice push forwards. One last year for Kane to do something amazing before departing.

Shearer and Henry didn’t win that much more to be fair.

Thought much the same, really felt that we would push on and challenge for the league and maybe win a cup.

I think its time to let him go whilst we can still get good money for him, we aren't winning anything anytime soon and he is not going to stay if we don't. Now that he has lost a yard and looks leggy most of the time i feel he is holding us back as we are too him. He doesn't suit this system and although he is scoring goals, its the hold up play, the pressing, the being a nuisance that is needed for this set up and he is just not capable of that now. Let him fudge off, break Shearers record and win some silverware before its too late.

he’s won 2 PL’s in England, that’s it

Shearer won 1

Both still a big deal, but it’s nothing like the haul Neville/Giggs/Scholes have
Henry has won 2 "only" 2 leagues and 2 FA Cups in England. He's won everything with Barcelona and with France.
No need to try and belittle his achievements just because he played for Arsenal.

Henry has won 2 "only" 2 leagues and 2 FA Cups in England. He's won everything with Barcelona and with France.
No need to try and belittle his achievements just because he played for Arsenal.

the comment I replied to was specific to time in the PL

For me he should be dropping in (said it in another thread that this could be done instead of needing a 3 man midfield that some are insisting on), there are plenty of times he does. He doesn't need to be particularly mobile to do that either, it's just to stop Partey having easy balls forward so getting in front of him is the main thing. Don't know what the instructions from Conte were.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't go this summer. Realistically it will be his last chance. The only question is where to.
I wouldn't begrudge him a move and wherever he ends up, if it isn't us winning a trophy I hope he does (assuming it's not the bindippers, Arse or Chelsea).

I don't understand why you'd want our best goal scorer (who doesn't have pace) far away from goal? Have him in the box, get the ball to him, let him score.

I don't understand why you'd want our best goal scorer (who doesn't have pace) far away from goal? Have him in the box, get the ball to him, let him score.
Not that he can't be up top but in quick transitions he might be best putting a ball through for someone else to chase.

Where possible such as when we go to the wings, Kane should definitely pop up to score.

Starting position, from deep.

He wouldn't be far from the box. Does he normally stand in the box when we don't have the ball?
Look at where Partey was picking up the ball. It was really deep in his own half. Kane dropping onto Partey in those positions would've helped stop him dictating the game and allow the midfielders stay deeper on the more attacking two midfielders.

He's definitely leaving this summer. No way will he sign a new contract and we can't let him leave on a free.
He'll break Greaves record then what's left for him at Spurs?
Think he'll either go to United with the hope of breaking Shearers' record or go to Bayern and get some shiny bits.

He's definitely leaving this summer. No way will he sign a new contract and we can't let him leave on a free.
Think he'll either go to United with the hope of breaking Shearers' record or go to Bayern and get some shiny bits.

The only way he stays is if the qataris buy the club.

I think it is almost certain. I dont think he will want to move abroad with his young family.

Possibly burned his bridges with City
Liverpool have forwards in abundance
I am convinced he would not sign for Arsenal or Chelsea

Leaves 2 options for me. Would Saudi Sportswashing Machine stump up enough cash? I am not sure. With ETH I think United look a better chance of winning silverware than us...currently, so I feel he may follows in the footsteps of Sheringham and Berbatov.

Conte being replaced by Pochettino, may, and only possibly, may convince him to sign a 2-year extension, but that is now a long shot. I think the lure of a lucrative 4-year bumper pay deal from Old Trafford will do the trick

Back