• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Mirallas, hmm. If he can play upfront with a modicum of comfort (I believe Martinez has used him there once or twice, and he was a regular in that position at Olympiakos, I think), then he wouldn't be a bad signing at all: if not, then eh, we have cover for the right wing (Townsend), and need other players more than we need him.

Benteke to Man utd is the big story this morning. I can see that being true actually

and Lacazette to Arsanal for 25 mill....im not sure they really need a striker though

There's a lack of real top class strikers out there. Kane being the exception! Though old and often injured, I'm surprised VanRapist is not being singed in the PL or used by manu.

Giroud is a very good striker and he contributes to the quick passing football Arsenal play. Without Injury he can get 20+ league goals a season.

If Arsenal want to replace that with a high profile name who may flop then I won't complain :D

arsenal are a good striker, central midfielder and a centre half away from being title contenders.

Lacazette would set them on their way.. fudging heads will roll if Schneiderlin signs too.

arsenal are a good striker, central midfielder and a centre half away from being title contenders.

Lacazette would set them on their way.. fudgeing heads will roll if Schneiderlin signs too.

Well if that was the case they are still a way off, that's a whole new core you're saying they need. If we got a top CB,CM and striker I don't think we'd be a million miles away from challenging ourselves....

Well if that was the case they are still a way off, that's a whole new core you're saying they need. If we got a top CB,CM and striker I don't think we'd be a million miles away from challenging ourselves....

agreed. which is why they won't contend for the title.

talk that Everton are close to signing Sergi Roberto from Barca....

Mirallas, hmm. If he can play upfront with a modicum of comfort (I believe Martinez has used him there once or twice, and he was a regular in that position at Olympiakos, I think), then he wouldn't be a bad signing at all: if not, then eh, we have cover for the right wing (Townsend), and need other players more than we need him.

Mirallas is far more effective than Townsend.

Mirallas is far more effective than Townsend.

Undoubtedly true, but Townsend is cover for Lamela and (at a pinch) Chadli on the left: I don't think replacing a cover player with one like Mirallas (who'll want his last big contract at 27, and regular playing time) is a good move if all that Mirallas will end up doing is filling Andros' role. Hence my hesitation. If we want to just replace Townsend (as opposed to securing a player who can both do that and play up front), someone more willing to be benched/left out of the squad like Oduwa might be a better bet.

Undoubtedly true, but Townsend is cover for Lamela and (at a pinch) Chadli on the left: I don't think replacing a cover player with one like Mirallas (who'll want his last big contract at 27, and regular playing time) is a good move if all that Mirallas will end up doing is filling Andros' role. Hence my hesitation. If we want to just replace Townsend (as opposed to securing a player who can both do that and play up front), someone more willing to be benched/left out of the squad like Oduwa might be a better bet.

I'd much rather go for someone proven in the PL and EL than relying on a kid
We should have enough games to go around, but the goals someone like Mirallas should contribute should be worth appx 6-9 pts over the season, which could be very significant. Townsend doesn't offer that.
You seem to know Oduwa well - does he? At this level?

Mirallas is ten times the player Townsend will ever be. He needs to be offloaded. We need a new first team right winger. But does mirallas play right? I thought he was left. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'd prefer someone with pace. Something different to what we have lots of already.

I'd much rather go for someone proven in the PL and EL than relying on a kid
We should have enough games to go around, but the goals someone like Mirallas should contribute should be worth appx 6-9 pts over the season, which could be very significant. Townsend doesn't offer that.
You seem to know Oduwa well - does he? At this level?

Again, no argument there. I'm sure Mirallas would benefit us more than Townsend will over the course of the next season. I'm just not sure that replacing Townsend with a player of that calibre would be a good move, from both a squad harmony perspective (how happy would Mirallas be seeing his last big move dissipate into being a rotation option at best? And how would that obvious unhappiness affect the squad as a whole?) and from a value-for-money perspective (other players would also probably give us more points than the ones occupying their positions at the club right now: Schneiderlin, for example). And don't get me wrong, I know about as much about Oduwa as you do: I just figure that, as a youth player just breaking through, he'd be happier to be a rotation option and replacement for Townsend than Mirallas would.

Mirallas is ten times the player Townsend will ever be. He needs to be offloaded. We need a new first team right winger. But does mirallas play right? I thought he was left. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'd prefer someone with pace. Something different to what we have lots of already.

Mirallas does play all over the place: up front, right, left, CAM.

We were woefully short of competition and cover in the attacking midfield trio last season. Chadli and Eriksen were good, although inconsistent. When they were off form we had no real competition for them. Lamela was only good in patches and his only competitor (Townsend) still didn't manage to make himself a credible option. Too often one or more of that trio didn't deliver and looking at the bench the only option for Poch was Townsend.

Pritchard back in gives us one more option, but we still need one more. The current first choice are already young (particularly for being first choice) at 23, 23 and 25. Pritchard comes in at 22. I don't know if Oduwa is close enough to compete, but we do know we have some youngsters that might push on in the next 2-3 years.

A 27 year old, PL proven player might be exactly what we need right now. And in the PL proven category we can't sign many better than Mirallas and very few will prove better value for money than him.

With the number of games we have, the versatility of just about every player mentioned here and expected injuries and drops in form I really don't think adding Mirallas puts us at risk of squad unhappiness.

Back