• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

You need a bit of perspective. Here's one for you: Let's say Dembele and Bentaleb are out, which can perfectly well happen. Benta will play ACN. That leaves us with Mason and Veljkovic... Compare that to Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin, Fabregas/Matic, Toure/Fernandinho... A bit lightweight to put it mildly! Hell, it's a light weight CM compared to most teams in the league!
#seriousrelegationfearswiththatmidfield

Once again, that's precisely why I said, "All of which is not to say that we don't need to sign a proper DM".

I was merely pointing out, in response to the claim that we don't have a single DM in the squad, that we actually do have such a player.

The river is getting drier and drier.......is there anyone left out there,someone that can improve us and not just filling a hole.

it looks like its back to the good old days of the last day of the transfer deadline with Jim and his yellow tie.

Once again, that's precisely why I said, "All of which is not to say that we don't need to sign a proper DM".

I was merely pointing out, in response to the claim that we don't have a single DM in the squad, that we actually do have such a player.

I agree that Veljkovic has potential and would easily gain game time if we sign no-one else (defo lge cup, el group games)... Dembele can play there if required and i would not be surprised given his technical ability and defensive mindset if Dier could not make a good go of a true DM (esoecially as he may not see much time as a CH)

Though saying that i do fancy the thought of Cambiasso for a year just as security and experience to oversee the youth development and as we iron out the wrinkles.

I quite like the idea of cambiasso as well, could be good for bentalab/Mason/veljkovic to learn from and was a pretty decent player still last season in his own right. Reckon he'll want to go somewhere he'll be a regular starter though.

Youri Tielemans and Viktor Fischer 10m each and loan them back to their clubs for a year to sweeten the deal.

Both will be world class and out of our range in a year or two.

Tielemans is already rated so highly that I doubt he'd be sold for less than £15-20 million as they know that is what he will be worth soon enough if not already. Fischer would be a good shout although with Chadli already on that side of the field and players like Pritchard and Oduwa coming through it may not be the most vital purchase. I can see N'jie being the player we get in for the front line upgrades if the rumours are true.

I still say we have options for midfield

We're very very short on forward options

Not really we lack a CM player with a defensive mind set, Veljkovic may/may not turn out to be the answer eventually but to start him along side the likes of Bentaleb/ Mason ( who imo is not good enough) is silly and taking a huge risk.

Don't think Pochettino actually has ever played with a 'proper DM', has he?
In my view we don't necessarily need a "proper DM", but we do desperately need a quality CM with some defensive awareness. I only get to watch on TV (or online) these days, but I lost count of the number of times last season when you'd see an opposition break through the middle and neither Bentaleb nor Mason anywhere to be seen on screen. It's infuriating. I'm less impressed by Mason than others, but I fully expect Bentaleb to be a massive player. But right now neither of them understand how to cover the defence.

I'm not saying we need a dedicated defensive midfielder, but if you have two guys in midfield, then at least one of them needs to be able to spot the danger of a counter attack and be willing (and capable) of getting back to help close it down.

We don't need a DM we need a CM/B2B who is better at the defensive side of the game than our current options (who hopefully will get better in this regard)

We can call it anything you want, but we need a CM player who has a defensive mind set ( that does not mean he has to sit in the centre circle), we need someone who is aware of opposing players getting in behind them, who can spot runners and do not ball watch all the time. At the moment neither Mason or Bentaleb have that ability and that is one of the main reasons our CM was so open last year.

Now we can call it a DM, a CM, a deep laying player, a B2B, call him uncle tom cobbly but we need a player who has those strengths, lets not get hung up on what we call him.

I still say we have options for midfield

We're very very short on forward options

Yep (writing out Lennon and Ade), we've got:

CM - Bentaleb, Mason, Alli, Carroll + Veljkovic, Winks (4+2 for 2 spots)

AM - Lamela, Townsend, Chadli, Eriksen, Pritchard, Dembele + Oduwa, Onomah (6+2 for 3 spots)

CF - Kane, Soldado (2 for 1 spot)

Back