• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Cambiasso has aparently posted on facebook that he won't be signing for a second year with Leicester. We shold be all over this imo, perfect "mentor" to our young midfield.
I like the idea, was VERY good from Christmas till the end of the season. and we need another DM now with Benji gone.

I like the idea, was VERY good from Christmas till the end of the season. and we need another DM now with Benji gone.

Depending upon his wages, and whether he demands a first team place or not, I would be happy with his signing as cover. I think he would bring excellent experience, he's a player that I've rated for some time and he still has a game in his locker, and if we can get him for the right price, signing on fee & wages, then he would be a good acquisition.

Assume for a second that we're getting Berahino and a half-decent DM. I find it difficult to envision that, in that scenario, there would be any money left for cover for Kane on top of those two (who'd probably cost between 30 and 40 million quid easily).

Except for someone like Rickie Lambert, of course. And while that wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, maybe using a striker like Berahino up front as well as at LWF (with the associated tactical changes) could save us the trouble.

Or we keep Soldado

I'm just saying that Berahino isn't particularly suited to being a lone forward in a 4-2-3-1.

Priority for me is genuine cover for Kane even ifs it's someone who can play elsewhere

Despite all the complaints about our centre midfield there were many many games when they operated very well and we have options there already

Other than Kane we do nit bah e a firearm capable of playing the systems we employ and that's scary if he gets any issues during the season

Or we keep Soldado

I'm just saying that Berahino isn't particularly suited to being a lone forward in a 4-2-3-1.

Or we keep Soldado, yes. I'm not disagreeing with you: I don't think Berahino is presently suited to being a lone forward either. But I think he can be made into a decent one with training: and perhaps his chemistry with Kane (for the U-21s) can be translated into a tactical scenario where they both alternate roles, with one dropping deep and another stepping up to lead the line, switching throughout the game. That way, centre-backs don't know whether to hold a high line or a deep one, since the pace and skill of one is matched by the physicality, power and accurate long shooting ability of the other.

That sort of thing would give us tactical flexibility, and unpredictability: it's the sort of thing I'd like to see Poch try more often in the years ahead, even if it's not exactly with Berahino and Kane, necessarily.

Two players would leave us short. Unless soldado stays I guess.

Priority should be getting the best central midfielder we possibly can!

Without doubt this, now we have let Stambouli go we have no one to play CM who has a defensive mindset.
Unless we get one in our defense will have runners going at them and we will suffer like we did last season.

Just look at Liverpools Raheem Sterling, once a blue always a blue Wayne Rooney. Players put on this sort of act where they play up to the fans as some sort of loyal trooper then bugger of to greener pastures as soon as the opportunity arises.

Welcome to modern football.

Indeed, all this kissing the badge brick is nonsense, players will leave and kiss the next badge they play for its all gonads.

Without doubt this, now we have let Stambouli go we have no one to play CM who has a defensive mindset.
Unless we get one in our defense will have runners going at them and we will suffer like we did last season.

We have Veljkovic.

And yes, yes.......I know that he lacks experience. But he has more experience than Bentaleb did when he broke into the first team so impressively. And Veljkovic loses nothing by way of comparison - in terms of quality and physicality - to Bentaleb. He is every bit as ready and capable, IMO.

All of which is not to say that we don't need to sign a proper DM. It's just to point out that we shouldn't forget what we already have.

We have Veljkovic.

And yes, yes.......I know that he lacks experience. But he has more experience than Bentaleb did when he broke into the first team so impressively. And Veljkovic loses nothing by way of comparison - in terms of quality and physicality - to Bentaleb. He is every bit as ready and capable, IMO.

All of which is not to say that we don't need to sign a proper DM. It's just to point out that we shouldn't forget what we already have.

No one is forgetting what we already have ( not me anyway), but as much as its good to see young players come into the side and do well it does not always happen.

Kane : did well but it took into his 3rd Prem season to show it.

Bentaleb : has done well

Mason : has been overhyped and to many he needs replacing.

Townsend : 90 games and he has still got the same faults and we still talk about his potential.

I could go on and I really hope Veljkovic turns into a winner, however I want to see a DM brought in who has played the game before at this level rather then have to hope another youngster turns out well.

Last edited:
I could go on and I really hope Veljkovic turns into a winner, however I want to see a DM brought in who has played the game before at this level rather then have to hope another youngster turns out well.

Yes, I agree.......which is exactly why I said, "All of which is not to say that we don't need to sign a proper DM".

The point was that you claimed that "we have no one to play CM who has a defensive mindset". But we do. And he could most certainly do a job for us this coming season.

He's got a lot left in him, and he's a good passer from deep, brilliant leader, team player and tactician on the field (if you watched him for Inter, you'd know that he closes off passing lanes with frightening ease). If we end up going for a DM from the continent (i.e, one who'd need to adapt to the PL), then I wouldn't mind him coming in as cover should we manage to find a spot for him: he could fill in beautifully while our continental DM adapts, and then gracefully take up a squad role and mentor our absurdly young team for the rest of the season (while making occasional appearances, of course).

If we get McCarthy or someone, however (i.e, adapted to the PL), then we wouldn't have much playing time to offer him.

Yes, I agree.......which is exactly why I said, "All of which is not to say that we don't need to sign a proper DM".

The point was that you claimed that "we have no one to play CM who has a defensive mindset". But we do. And he could most certainly do a job for us this coming season.

I still stand by that as well, I am not gong to judge how good or bad a player is until I have seen him at the top level. You seem certain he can but without seeing him at the Prem level you are just giving a opinion ( which is fine).

Fair enough.

I hope that, at the very least, we get the opportunity this coming season to see whether or not my faith is justified.

I think Poch might prefer to give more playing time to our youngsters than having some old timer that needs to rotated in and out of the side.

We have Veljkovic.

I really like the look of Veljkovic, and I think he has the potential to be a future superstar. But I also think he needs a season of first team competitive football at this stage in his career and it's unlikely he'll get that much time if he stays at Spurs this season. I watched his matches at the U20 World Cup and I don't think he's the finished article yet, and a year with a team pushing for promotion from the Championship would probably do him better than a year as back-up.

We have Veljkovic.

You need a bit of perspective. Here's one for you: Let's say Dembele and Bentaleb are out, which can perfectly well happen. Benta will play ACN. That leaves us with Mason and Veljkovic... Compare that to Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin, Fabregas/Matic, Toure/Fernandinho... A bit lightweight to put it mildly! Hell, it's a light weight CM compared to most teams in the league!
#seriousrelegationfearswiththatmidfield

You need a bit of perspective. Here's one for you: Let's say Dembele and Bentaleb are out, which can perfectly well happen. Benta will play ACN. That leaves us with Mason and Veljkovic... Compare that to Schweinsteiger/Schneiderlin, Fabregas/Matic, Toure/Fernandinho... A bit lightweight to put it mildly! Hell, it's a light weight CM compared to most teams in the league!
#seriousrelegationfearswiththatmidfield

Is the ACN next year as well as this one?

Back