• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

You do have a point, there are always those who do not like certain players as most signings are not 100% applauded, although I doubt that would be the case with you two examples ;). If the manager wants a player and decides to buy him we should accept that he probably knows more then us ( the fans).

We have made 2 maybe 3 successful transfers in the last 5 seasons. We have every right to question why we just seem to buy and sell average players for fun.
Under Poch we haven't signed a single first team player. Does he really want these players?

We have made 2 maybe 3 successful transfers in the last 5 seasons. We have every right to question why we just seem to buy and sell average players for fun.
Under Poch we haven't signed a single first team player. Does he really want these players?

Nonsense. Lloris, Vertonghen, Chadli, Eriksen, Dembele, Dier...

Continued from Milo's post...Alderweireld

Yes, signed this season but I'm sure Poch wanted him, and he is a quality acquisition.

Nonsense. Lloris, Vertonghen, Chadli, Eriksen, Dembele, Dier...
Lloris wasn't even picked at start by avb which says slot by his brick management even if he was making a point !! Ok verts bought with intention of going straight into team and way better than what we had ... Dembele bought in as replacement for modric so not exactly better even before he signed but again he was always going to get into team cos had no serious competition , Chadli - was he really bought for first team regular status and really better than we had , debatable for me ..same with dier . Good young player with eye on future but not bought for first team straight away ..all good players but ...
I think poster meant we just not signing players who simply are in a different league to what we have and it's what we need , players who are top class and go straight into team if fully fit and on form to bring on good young players we already have

Also reported by other sources, so looks like a done deal.

Watched him in the Denmark - Serbia game a month ago and was not impressed. Looked a little bit lazy to be honest.

Big question is; will Saudi Sportswashing Machine now also sign Austin?

It had seemed to have entered something of a hiatus, since the Mags' interest broke a week ago. Agent waiting to see whether any better offers would come in, I suppose. If his rep as the Serbian Balotelli is anywhere near the mark, he'll probably have fallen out with Schecond Choisch Schteve inside a week.

Would much rather give youth ago rather than gamble on a multi million pound player. Give it until January and then make a signing or 2 then.

Not really worried where we finish as it seems we are building the squad to coincide with the new Stadium. Aslong as its a top 10 finish and we see some youth coming through, I'm happy.

Would much rather give youth ago rather than gamble on a multi million pound player. Give it until January and then make a signing or 2 then.

Not really worried where we finish as it seems we are building the squad to coincide with the new Stadium. Aslong as its a top 10 finish and we see some youth coming through, I'm happy.

I very much doubt you will be saying this if we are mid table mediocrity come January. And some believe that there is rarely any quality available in January ( except as a desperate measure at hugely inflated prices!)

A noble sentiment but not striving to improve by whatever means possible, youth or transfers, is effectively going backwards in this league. Unless we mount some semblance of a challenge on the the top four this season our top players will want out. If the club show no ambition then they will be gone, plain and simple. It is a long climb back to 5th from mid table and a player's career is short enough that they won't hang around.

The desire to bring through youth only makes sense if they are good enough, and thankfully it looks like we have a good batch coming through all together. If they are good enough then by all means play them but I wouldn't get over sentimental about it. We need to be competitive by whatever means possible.

we had a poor window when we sold Bale and have been playing catch up since, it's pretty obvious - you don't blow that much money on players and then write them off after a season, which is why we signed back up players last season and Poch was given the task of making the most of the players in the squad (see Levys statement upon his appointment) we've now had two seasons with them and seem to be backing Poch by selling the ones he deemed surplus to requirements whilst targeting the positions we look weak in (RB, CD, CM in the first XI and back up CF/WF)

as usual it comes round to patience or the lack of...

I agree re; making good signing and not just relying on youth

That said, i think we are shaping up to be an impact team,where the sum of the team I'd far greater than the effect of individuals and, from what I've heard, the likes of Onoma and Oduwa are impact players - so could effectively create one very useful option of the course of a season. ( ie give them enough games to impact, but no relied on them to deliver all season long)

Lloris wasn't even picked at start by avb which says slot by his crud management even if he was making a point !! Ok verts bought with intention of going straight into team and way better than what we had ... Dembele bought in as replacement for modric so not exactly better even before he signed but again he was always going to get into team cos had no serious competition , Chadli - was he really bought for first team regular status and really better than we had , debatable for me ..same with dier . Good young player with eye on future but not bought for first team straight away ..all good players but ...
I think poster meant we just not signing players who simply are in a different league to what we have and it's what we need , players who are top class and go straight into team if fully fit and on form to bring on good young players we already have

You are answering a different question, so I won't get distracted by responding to the points you make. The statement made by Modric THFC was that we had only made a couple of successful signings in the last five years which is total gonads.

So if Saudi Sportswashing Machine are able to sign a player like Mitrovic, who is supposed to be such a big talent, what does that say about the player? Maybe not good enough to attract bigger clubs' attention? Or does he look at the barcodes as a stepping stone?

I very much doubt you will be saying this if we are mid table mediocrity come January. And some believe that there is rarely any quality available in January ( except as a desperate measure at hugely inflated prices!)

And if we are not mid-table in January then he will be saying it.

So what's your point?

SPurs make a choice and then hope it works. Regardless of what the choice is, if it turns out not to yield fairly quick results then some people will disagree with it.

So if Saudi Sportswashing Machine are able to sign a player like Mitrovic, who is supposed to be such a big talent, what does that say about the player? Maybe not good enough to attract bigger clubs' attention? Or does he look at the barcodes as a stepping stone?

stepping stone i think

imo he will do well there, the kind of big bustling centre forward that the Geordies like

Unless we get in a top target, I don't see Dembele going anywhere. On that subject, I don't see it being Sunderland either, he's too good for them and he knows it.

Back