• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

No, because Ange can do both the tactical and the human side. That’s why I flagged him as my preferred option for Spurs’ next manager back in January 2023.

I’ve never said Southgate is a psychologist. You say I’m putting words into your mouth and in the next breath do the same thing. I said he’s one of the most emotionally intelligent people in football.

So essentially you don’t think Southgate is a great manager just like trying to rile English supporters!

You didn’t say this, all the traits of a master psychologist:

What I do think he’s good at:
Motivation, building a positive environment, getting the best out of players individually. And most of all: he’s one of the most emotionally intelligent people in football. That one thing explains the other positives, and explains how he’s been able to turn England around since he took over. And how he managed to galvanise this team whilst the rest of the country slagged them all off.

I will wade in with my tin hat.

YOU can't knock Southgates record and you can't knock being in a final. Whilst that is true its also true IMO that its not be an outstanding quality tournament and I don't see and England side thats evolved year on year given the length of Southgates reign, but we have been able to navigate our way through the tournament not looking very good and doing whats needed (bit like France making the SF not scoring in open play or something silly like that I heard). Both can absolutely be true IMO, I don't jump out of bed wanting to watch us based on the football on show, its more the national allegiance. Doesn't mean I won't and don't enjoy the journey because I do, but if we lose the final I can't say its been a classic England to watch, so I suppose that the crux of where we are

YOU can't knock Southgates record and you can't knock being in a final. Whilst that is true its also true IMO that its not be an outstanding quality tournament and I don't see and England side thats evolved year on year given the length of Southgates reign, but we have been able to navigate our way through the tournament not looking very good and doing whats needed (bit like France making the SF not scoring in open play or something silly like that I heard). Both can absolutely be true IMO, I don't jump out of bed wanting to watch us based on the football on show, its more the national allegiance. Doesn't mean I won't and don't enjoy the journey because I do, but if we lose the final I can't say its been a classic England to watch, so I suppose that the crux of where we are
100%
A final is a final
Win it and the journey doesn’t matter

International football standard is at a lower level overall I would say. But Spain have definitely looked better than everyone else in this tournament. That said, England are resilient and I can see it going to penalties.

The last final at home, winning against a poor Italian team, didn’t bottle it?

The pens and late goals I’d attribute to the technique of players more so than the management team.
"A poor Italian team"?

Come on. I know it's a game of opinions but you can't say Italy were poor even relative to other Italian teams.

The same type of scenario as with Conte/Mourinho - if they had won a trophy their stints here would have been viewed completely differently. The problem with playing conservative football is that whilst it can be effective, it will only be accepted if you achieve something.

As for Southgate, we have never had it so good - Two finals and a semi final? Yes we dont play like Brazil, but Brazil don't play like Brazil these days :D The Italians never played the prettiest football yet I wouldnt mind having their success. We could easily play this 'release the hounds' football that so many seem to want, but that comes with no guarantees and could easily find ourselves being knocked out at an earlier stage. Spain have played great football, but historically they do that and of the other 'big' countries I haven't exactly found myself casting envious glances at their footballing style either. But hey, I guess we could always go back to the glory days of world renowned coaches Sven and Capello for better football and greater success in tournaments.....

The same type of scenario as with Conte/Mourinho - if they had won a trophy their stints here would have been viewed completely differently. The problem with playing conservative football is that whilst it can be effective, it will only be accepted if you achieve something.

As for Southgate, we have never had it so good - Two finals and a semi final? Yes we dont play like Brazil, but Brazil don't play like Brazil these days :D The Italians never played the prettiest football yet I wouldn't mind having their success. We could easily play this 'release the hounds' football that so many seem to want, but that comes with no guarantees and could easily find ourselves being knocked out at an earlier stage. Spain have played great football, but historically they do that and of the other 'big' countries I haven't exactly found myself casting envious glances at their footballing style either. But hey, I guess we could always go back to the glory days of world renowned coaches Sven and Capello for better football and greater success in tournaments.....

I would take more than 45 mins of pretty football hahaha but yeh I do get your point.

I would only counter the above in that without overstating our own talents, we do seem to have a depth of attacking talent and some very good defensive minded midfielders, I think there has been a fall off in International quality of our rivals so seems a perfect storm for abit more than attrition siege mentality stuff we seem to be seeing, politely its risk averse I would say, I don't think we should release the hounds, but one might be nice

My Irish contraction go back to great grandmother and I think Ireland is a very different place from the 50's at least 2 of my mates went to places that didn't have electricity in the 50's. My daughter loves all this genealogy stuff. It's weird to see some of the occupations like ostler, cooper, flower seller and jute weaver.
We went to my auntie Nellies house, thatched roof, cooked on an open fire, food all made in the house.
Best bread and butter I've ever tasted.
I'm not big on the genealogy stuff, but since my mum passed away revisiting some family stuff has been good.

I'm not a fan of Southgate, but If we had won the CL final after a pretty poor season and by riding our luck all the way through that cup run Poch would be hailed as our best modern day manager.
Can't see that it should be any different for Southgate.

With massive holes.

Which teams don’t have holes? France were joint favourites with us and their attack is bloody awful other than Mbappe. Scored 1 goal from open play in the entire tournament. Germany and Spain whilst both being very good teams aren’t blessed with world class strikers. Portugal have a 39 year old Ronaldo up front who refuses to accept he is 39 and not 29. They have a 41 year old playing CB also. There’s 4 or 5 really good teams in this tournament who had a fair shot of winning it depending on the draw and circumstances, we’re definitely one of those teams.

"A poor Italian team"?

Come on. I know it's a game of opinions but you can't say Italy were poor even relative to other Italian teams.

They didn’t even qualify for the next WC if I recall correctly. And they hustled the win. I don’t think they had much quality personally. As you say it’s all about opinions, maybe they were a great side. Any stand out players?

They didn’t even qualify for the next WC if I recall correctly. And they hustled the win. I don’t think they had much quality personally. As you say it’s all about opinions, maybe they were a great side. Any stand out players?
Not a massive follower of Italian football but the like of Donnarumma, Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Jorginho, Chiesa and Immobile are very good players. You don't win a tournament like that by being a poor side.

Not a massive follower of Italian football but the like of Donnarumma, Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Jorginho, Chiesa and Immobile are very good players. You don't win a tournament like that by being a poor side.

They were the best team in terms of performances and deservedly won it in the end. France should have gotten further in that tournament with their talent but they crashed out to Switzerland on pens.

I’ll give you the keeper and Chiesa. Idk if the others are special players. Even Chiesa, Juve are looking to sell him now. By international standards it is questionable how good he is. I personally don’t think that they were the best Italian side, and they flunked qualification for the World Cup.

Greece showed that an effective team can trump quality. Italy were effective. I personally don’t think they were anything special.

Last edited:
I’ll give you the keeper and Chiesa. Idk if the others are special players. Even Chiesa, Juve are looking to sell him now. By international standards it is questionable how good he is. I personally don’t think that they were the best Italian side, and they flunked qualification for the World Cup.

Greece showed that an effective team can trump quality. Italy were effective. I personally don’t think they were anything special.
Bonucci and Chiellini were two of the best CBs in the world at the time, don't know you can say they aren't special players. The fact that they were two total arseholes doesn't take away from that.

Their whole defence was top class and the main reason that they won.

My Irish contraction go back to great grandmother and I think Ireland is a very different place from the 50's at least 2 of my mates went to places that didn't have electricity in the 50's. My daughter loves all this genealogy stuff. It's weird to see some of the occupations like ostler, cooper, flower seller and jute weaver.
Very different, we even have water taps and flushing toilets...

Bonucci and Chiellini were two of the best CBs in the world at the time, don't know you can say they aren't special players. The fact that they were two total arseholes doesn't take away from that.

Their whole defence was top class and the main reason that they won.

How old were they? Good players absolutely. But they weren’t a special team. The days of Baggio etc don’t compare.

Back