• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

As already highlighted it was their defence that was special. A top defence is never going to catch the imagination or stay in the memory like a top attack with the likes of Baggio.

And Spain just showed that a top attack trumps a top defence (top scorers beat the competitions best defence, the French). It’s not always so but generally great sides make the play and score.

If you think that Italian side, that couldn’t even qualify for the WC, was one of their best, fair enough. For me, I thought it was a relatively poor side and England at home should have got over the line and won.

And Spain just showed that a top attack trumps a top defence (top scorers beat the competitions best defence, the French). It’s not always so but generally great sides make the play and score.

If you think that Italian side, that couldn’t even qualify for the WC, was one of their best, fair enough. For me, I thought it was a relatively poor side and England at home should have got over the line and won.
Don't think it was one of their best, just that they had an excellent defence.

As already highlighted it was their defence that was special. A top defence is never going to catch the imagination or stay in the memory like a top attack with the likes of Baggio.

2 excellent wide players too

Spinazzola was player of the tournament imo.

I will wade in with my tin hat.

YOU can't knock Southgates record and you can't knock being in a final. Whilst that is true its also true IMO that its not be an outstanding quality tournament and I don't see and England side thats evolved year on year given the length of Southgates reign, but we have been able to navigate our way through the tournament not looking very good and doing whats needed (bit like France making the SF not scoring in open play or something silly like that I heard). Both can absolutely be true IMO, I don't jump out of bed wanting to watch us based on the football on show, its more the national allegiance. Doesn't mean I won't and don't enjoy the journey because I do, but if we lose the final I can't say its been a classic England to watch, so I suppose that the crux of where we are

100% this, I think he's a good people manager and you can tell the players enjoy playing for him. He's also dealt well with the press and more general items e.g. how he's responded to racism but I don't think he's a very good coach. We don't look well drilled and I think we have better players than our performances show.

He's also had some luck in how the draws opened up for him a few times but you can only beat what's in front of you. I mean Spain have beaten Croatia, Italy, Germany and France already.

100% this, I think he's a good people manager and you can tell the players enjoy playing for him. He's also dealt well with the press and more general items e.g. how he's responded to racism but I don't think he's a very good coach. We don't look well drilled and I think we have better players than our performances show.

He's also had some luck in how the draws opened up for him a few times but you can only beat what's in front of you. I mean Spain have beaten Croatia, Italy, Germany and France already.
The draw is just mad how it’s turned out for England under Southgate compared to previous tournaments

I’d still like to hear which teams are clearly better than England and don’t have flaws as people keep pointing out that Southgate has overachieved by getting us to the final. We were one of the pre tournament favourites before it started so it’s not a massive surprise to see us go deep into this tournament, I accept the performances have been largely dire bar the last game and a half and people may be unimpressed but good teams can win when they are below par like we have been.

Well he has surprised a lot of fans by getting us this far so he deserves credit for doing that. I have said before that i believe some of our players are overated [ we have a lot of [ GREAT]overseas players in the Prem and this makes some of the English players look better then they actually are. Is he the best manager we could have well all i can say is i have seen managers like Sven, Robson, etc etc and they do not have as good a record as Southgate has.

I’d still like to hear which teams are clearly better than England and don’t have flaws as people keep pointing out that Southgate has overachieved by getting us to the final. We were one of the pre tournament favourites before it started so it’s not a massive surprise to see us go deep into this tournament, I accept the performances have been largely dire bar the last game and a half and people may be unimpressed but good teams can win when they are below par like we have been.

It’s not that anyone is perfect.

But nobody else is lining up with brick like Rice, Alexander Arnold or Gallagher in the most important positions on the pitch.

Only Germany and Spain, really. England at least have had moments of brilliance (as opposed to say France and Portugal). Georgia, Austria and Turkey have been more fun to watch than England, but have less quality player by player.

Well he has surprised a lot of fans by getting us this far so he deserves credit for doing that. I have said before that i believe some of our players are overated [ we have a lot of [ GREAT]overseas players in the Prem and this makes some of the English players look better then they actually are. Is he the best manager we could have well all i can say is i have seen managers like Sven, Robson, etc etc and they do not have as good a record as Southgate has.

Let’s come back to this next week. I don’t feel these players are the best group we have had in the last thirty years but I might be forced to change my mind.

It’s not that anyone is perfect.

But nobody else is lining up with brick like Rice, Alexander Arnold or Gallagher in the most important positions on the pitch.
Only one of them starts for England
And rice isn’t brick
He would start for every side in the prem apart from city
He would start for every side in France, Italy and Spain expect for Madrid
He hasn’t been great this tournament but he looks tired to me

I wonder - no really, I do - whether any English person can just enjoy the fact we are in another final, our first EVER final on foreign soil, and that we might well win it.
Will we allow ourselves to feel good/excited/enjoy these days leading up to it, or will we analyse to death who's a taco, who isn't great, who should be there, what wasn't a pen, etc, etc...

Last edited:
Back