• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

What are you basing this second bit on?

The performances after half time have been limp going all the way back to the last euros final - where we were leading going into the break.

I don’t see the master psychologist myself. The greats of management preemptively act. Knowing that Italy or the Dutch will react after HT, and they pull even more out the team.

We played fantastic football first half. Passing speed, movement and press were next level. Second half was instantly lacking.

We have a chance in the final, being underdogs should help us raise our game.

You give him zero credit for getting to the final based on the sole fact that England lost on penalties? You understand how insanely high that bar is to reach?

His record is only bettered by Alf Ramsey. All of the players say how much they love to play for him.

Harry Kane:
“I can’t speak highly enough of Gareth and what he has done for this team and the nation,” the England captain said. “In terms of where we were and where we are now as a national team is completely different.

“I think he’s brilliant on the details of making sure there is no stone unturned, everyone knows what they are going to be doing going into games. Just as a person giving us the freedom going into games to be ourselves, whether that is off the pitch or on the pitch.

“I think being England manager is a really difficult job. There are always going to be people who criticise or doubt him but his record speaks for itself — it’s really successful with us. But like all of us he’s determined to take that next step and win it and that’s what we all really determined to do. He’ll do what’s best for the nation and make the decision what is best for the team. All I will say is get behind him and support him as the players do.”

Kyle Walker:
When asked his thoughts on Southgate’s impact, he told ITV Sport: “Remarkable.

“We held a meeting last night, me Gareth, Harry [Kane], Jude [Bellingham] and Deccers [Declan Rice] and compared to when I first joined [up with England], we’re one big family now.

“I think that just shows the good traits he has, not just as a manager, but as a human.

“This is his [Southgate’s] group of players, we’re like his kids – he’s nurtured us, and he’s brought us through.”

John Stones:
“Everyone who has spent time with him and know him as a person, knows how hard he and his backroom staff work. So definitely we want to win for them, ourselves and our families and everyone in the nation.

“He is very clear in what we can achieve as a nation. The great attributes and qualities he has as a manager is that he is simple and clear to the players. That has not always been done.‌"

Luke Shaw:
"I don't understand the criticism,” Shaw said of Southgate, who has become the first man to lead England to three major tournament semi-finals.

“What he's done for the country and us players, he's taken us to the next level. No manager has been as successful as he has recently.

"Us players love him - he's exactly what we need. He allows us to go out on the pitch and be our best. He's shown a lot of faith and trust in picking me."

etc etc

You give him zero credit for getting to the final based on the sole fact that England lost on penalties? You understand how insanely high that bar is to reach?

His record is only bettered by Alf Ramsey. All of the players say how much they love to play for him.

Harry Kane:

Kyle Walker:

John Stones:

Luke Shaw:

etc etc

Who said I give him zero credit - that’s you putting words into peoples mouths again. We were discussing whether he was a master psychologist. I didn’t see any evidence for it.

I see a good team of coaches but no brilliant leader, tactician or psychologist. Of course he’s a likeable guy and brings qualities to the table. Not least having been in the position the players are in now with the weight of the nation on their shoulders. He understands that and can use his experience. However, Those quotes are the minimum you’d expect from a side trying to galvanise. And yes Southgate has done okay, but I don’t feel those quotes prove he’s a great psychologist as you seemed to claim. Would you prefer Southgate at Spurs over Ange?

What are you basing this second bit on?

The performances after half time have been limp going all the way back to the last euros final - where we were leading going into the break.

I don’t see the master psychologist myself. The greats of management preemptively act. Knowing that Italy or the Dutch will react after HT, and they pull even more out the team.

We played fantastic football first half. Passing speed, movement and press were next level. Second half was instantly lacking.

We have a chance in the final, being underdogs should help us raise our game.
Well they are not bottling it so far. Which is something England did like clockwork for years.

They’ve also won more penalty shoot outs under him than every other manager combined.

That’s huge in international tournament football.

Why do you need an asterix? fudge me you’re all so miserable. Is it the weather? You’ve just made the Euro final (again) and you’re all still looking for reasons to not enjoy it.
No I’m just responding to a Previous comment
Everything should have caveats because that’s life
Doesn’t mean it’s wrong
You can only do what you can do
If we had a quality coach we may be able to beat Spain. If Southgate gets England over the line then wow
But if not, it’s another opportunity that has been lost/gone
The quality lf players is there…unless your gonna tell me otherwise

Well they are not bottling it so far. Which is something England did like clockwork for years.

They’ve also won more penalty shoot outs under him than every other manager combined.

Massive
You can win the comp just by that and a huge improvement

Who said I give him zero credit - that’s you putting words into peoples mouths again. We were discussing whether he was a master psychologist. I didn’t see any evidence for it.

I see a good team of coaches but no brilliant leader, tactician or psychologist. Of course he’s a likeable guy and brings qualities to the table. Not least having been in the position the players are in now with the weight of the nation on their shoulders. He understands that and can use his experience. However, Those quotes are the minimum you’d expect from a side trying to galvanise. And yes Southgate has done okay, but I don’t feel those quotes prove he’s a great psychologist as you seemed to claim. Would you prefer Southgate at Spurs over Ange?

No, because Ange can do both the tactical and the human side. That’s why I flagged him as my preferred option for Spurs’ next manager back in January 2023.

I’ve never said Southgate is a psychologist. You say I’m putting words into your mouth and in the next breath do the same thing. I said he’s one of the most emotionally intelligent people in football.

No, because Ange can do both the tactical and the human side. That’s why I flagged him as my preferred option for Spurs’ next manager back in January 2023.

I’ve never said Southgate is a psychologist. You say I’m putting words into your mouth and in the next breath do the same thing. I said he’s one of the most emotionally intelligent people in football.
Ange is great coach
He does the football and the people side
Southgate does the people side well
The football side.. not well

You can get away with that in international football as the quality is lower and the installation windows are shorter.
Until you meet quality
That’s when you need the coaching
For example… he still hasn’t managed to get the attack working well. The talent is there but a coach would make the changes to get it working

Until you meet quality
That’s when you need the coaching
For example… he still hasn’t managed to get the attack working well. The talent is there but a coach would make the changes to get it working

You are stuck, you can’t buy better players, coaching only gets you so far.

Up against better/fitter/stronger/faster players you need them to have an off day.

The last final at home, winning against a poor Italian team, didn’t bottle it?

The pens and late goals I’d attribute to the technique of players more so than the management team.

Three of four of my grandparents were Irish, although I never met them, they were all dead before I was born.
My mum and dad and I went back to were my grandad came from in the late 70s and it was really good. Met some of my mums family and I've said I'd love to go back.
We don't keep in touch with the family, which is a shame, but I'd love to see it again.

My Irish contraction go back to great grandmother and I think Ireland is a very different place from the 50's at least 2 of my mates went to places that didn't have electricity in the 50's. My daughter loves all this genealogy stuff. It's weird to see some of the occupations like ostler, cooper, flower seller and jute weaver.

Back